Stroker Plugs

-

70dart340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It's been a slow day, so here's one for the FABO brain trust. I am finishing the build of my 408. I'm looking for recommendations for a spark plug for initial fire up. 408, TF heads and intake. Quick Fuel 750 mechanical secondaries, TTI headers. Forged Ocon pistons at a calculated 11.03-1 compression. Lunati Voodoo solid roller with .600/.580 and matching big duration. I'm using an MSD E-Curve distributor, and any help with the settings would also be appreciated.Rob{Rumblefish} will vouch this is real. not some 14 year old in his parents basement. Recommendations for plug wires would be a big help, too. It's primarily a street driven car. I'm thinking some of you racers(GTX John, Pittsburgh Racer, Boosted come to mind.) would give me some good starting info for break in. I'll know more by reading the plugs after a hard street pull.

I don't think being a stroker will have an effect on which plug to choose. That's more based on compression ratio, ignition and such. I'd recommend 2 steps colder than stock as a starting point. That is of course, if that compression figure is accurate.

It accurate, I've done the math several times, and verified by machine shop that builds **** hot circle track motors. My local O'Reilly's doesn't carry Champion. Don't make be humble, Georgia, give me a P/N and brand, please. I'll make you some homemade Butter Pecan.

I'll dig up the MSD specs so you can see my choices. It's all digital. The curve is set by DIP switches.

Glad to see your inching towards the finish line!
She’s gonna be a hot package.
I myself would have went one step colder than stock to start. You may end up at two colder, IDK! You’ll have to go to Orlando’s Speedworld. I was there today watching the diesel drags.

One step colder than 1970 340 plugs? Please, somebody, give me a plug brand and number, and a hint for the correct plug wire diameter, type, brand or any help. I can't believe any of my FABO family can't help spend my money! I was at the Volusia County dirt track, Rob. 9 miles from the ranch, and good fun! Let me know next time you head to Bithlo, Rob. I'll meet you. I love cruising the Florida countryside at this time of year topless at night. Knocks 30 years off my age!

It's been a slow day, so here's one for the FABO brain trust. I am finishing the build of my 408. I'm looking for recommendations for a spark plug for initial fire up. 408, TF heads and intake. Quick Fuel 750 mechanical secondaries, TTI headers. Forged Ocon pistons at a calculated 11.03-1 compression. Lunati Voodoo solid roller with .600/.580 and matching big duration. I'm using an MSD E-Curve distributor, and any help with the settings would also be appreciated.Rob{Rumblefish} will vouch this is real. not some 14 year old in his parents basement. Recommendations for plug wires would be a big help, too. It's primarily a street driven car. I'm thinking some of you racers(GTX John, Pittsburgh Racer, Boosted come to mind.) would give me some good starting info for break in. I'll know more by reading the plugs after a hard street pull.
If pump gas which I'm not sure that is at 11 to 1.3but maybe with that cam it'll work fine, I probably go like one step colder than stock maybe even stock, it depends on the tune. But there really is no special plug for a stroker as others have said

What's your dynamic compression?
Champion RC9YC equivalent with extended reach
NGK Spark Plugs BKR6EY NGK V-Power Spark Plugs | Summit Racing
Or non extended reach
NGK Spark Plugs BR6ES NGK Standard Series Spark Plugs | Summit Racing
Or Champions, which I've had good experiences with
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cpn-430
Now I'm getting some part numbers. Thank You so much. Trick Flow heads, so I'll look to see what reach they recommend. I'll look for a different shop for Champion Plugs. I went crazy with the math, checking everything. My son, with a computer science degree, helped me. He can't change his own oil, but his math is literally prize winning. 11.0280 is the calculated compression ratio. More than I planned for, but with the cam overlap, I should get by on Sunoco 93 octane, and maybe a little VP octane booster. Thank You, sir.

Paul,

I use and have been happy with Magnecor Competition 8.5mm plug wires on my 408. Set part number #8522. Red in color.

As for plugs, I started out with Champions but then had issues and switched to Autolite #AP3924's. Car seems to be fine with them up in Michigan and now down here in Florida not that far from you! (Ran an 11.10 @119.4 at Gainesville.) My 408 is 10.5 actual CR with Eddie heads. Your motor should make a bit more power than mine with the heads and cam you have. (Although you need to feed that beast with some more carb!)

Any 8 mm or larger spiral wound plug wires will be fine. Do not pay extra for 'extra low resistance'. Tests done years ago with wires of varying resistance found that the wire that gave the highest HP did NOT have the lowest resistance [ only a few hp between the best & the worst ]. That is because the wire-winding in the plug wire makes it an inductor. So now you have not only resistance, but capacitance & inductance in the equation.

Do not go too cold on plugs. Your alum heads will carry heat way faster from the plugs because alum is a better heat conductor than the original c/iron.

Tfs instructions list autolite 3924 which supposedly crosses to RC12YC or FR5. The next colder is a 3923, which supposedly crosses to RC9YC or BKR6E.
I've got a set of tfs heads on a 408 shortblock at around 10:1 and a hydraulic flat tappet at 295 adv duration running the 3924 plugs with no issues. Ymmv.

FYI-FWIW, this guy above ^^^^^^ Mr Mderoy goes round after round in his ride. He has been there, done that and is still doing it.
I also have a 11-1 engine that currently uses the stock heat range suggested by Edelbrock. Perhaps there is a HP or two left in it by a step cooler plug.

I run autolite copper plugs in my stroker. I would have to pull one to get number cause I think they been in there like 10 years. I highly recommend autolite coppers.

I run autolite copper 65’s in my 12.2 to 1 x head. Gapped to 38, They are a couple of bucks each and I don’t feel guilty just throwing new plugs in on a whim or pulling one and cutting the crimp to look at it. I run the black msd street fire wires. I have found they are pretty sensitive to timing changes. I’m at 22 initial and 32 total, but it’s open chamber cast head.

Paul,

I use and have been happy with Magnecor Competition 8.5mm plug wires on my 408. Set part number #8522. Red in color.

As for plugs, I started out with Champions but then had issues and switched to Autolite #AP3924's. Car seems to be fine with them up in Michigan and now down here in Florida not that far from you! (Ran an 11.10 @119.4 at Gainesville.) My 408 is 10.5 actual CR with Eddie heads. Your motor should make a bit more power than mine with the heads and cam you have. (Although you need to feed that beast with some more carb!)
Yeah, I'm thinking I need a bigger carb, too. I bought this years ago for a great price, so I thought I'd start with it. BNIB, and I have some jets, too. I'm so glad you finally got the house finished and are a resident. Great numbers at Gainesville! If you make a run to Speed World, My ranch is open to you. I'd be proud to be a pit monkey. I'll look at Summit for the plug wires you mentioned. We'll meet up with Rob and have a FABO familyfest. Thanks to Rob and mderoy340. Looking forward to meeting more FABO members in person. Serious thanks to all for their advice.

If pump gas which I'm not sure that is at 11 to 1.3but maybe with that cam it'll work fine, I probably go like one step colder than stock maybe even stock, it depends on the tune. But there really is no special plug for a stroker as others have said
I appreciate your expertise. The way the build came out was 11.03-1 compression. Many different parts. Molnar crank and rods, Icon pistons, TF heads and intake, and the Lunati solid roller cam. I wanted a healthy street motor for 93 octane pump gas, with booster if needed. I use 93 octane Sunoco for my Mustang Ecoboost convertible, and can safely run 22 pounds of boost. Blasphemy, I know, but I wanted a ragtop.

-
Back