Stroker v NOS

-

A360

Benton
Reaction score
G/Day fellas

What are your thought on building a strong 360 and putting it on NOS or building a nice 410 stroker.

Currently 360/727/9'' 3.9gears in a 12.6 Valiant hardtop (Dart)

cheers

20090325-AM1A0263.jpg

i'm in the process of doing a stroker to a 360 magnum. to me i'd rather have the stroker cuz the power will always be there no matter what where as nos you'll have to fill up. like 1968formulas340 said you could do a stoker and then do nos.

Build the stroker right and you won't need any nitrous,i've seen enough nitrous explosions to never ever want to use it,besides it's much more satisfying running the number naturally aspirated then having to spray to get there,unless your in a nitrous class those guys can't live without spraying..anyone can spray,big deal..there are a few guy running in the 11's spraying,turn off the spray their in the 13's big deal..a nice stroker will put you in the low 11's consistently i know..:-D:-D

I'm not intrested in the N02. Though N.O.S. has been around for awhile and does make an excellent N02 system, I enjoy figuring out what makes an engine tick and then pushing it with parts and changes without additives.

I do like a supercharger though. My pockets/wallet doesn't.

Holy Crap... I'd start by getting the seat on the correct side of that car... :D

The stroker will make power long term, but costs more (by about 20%). The NOS initially costs less but over time costs much more than the stroked setup would. NOS doesnt break parts. Stupidity or cheapness does.
Some number sfor my neck of the woods:
average stroker ticket price: $7500
Life expectancy of 4 seasons (racing 1/2 the year)

Average performance LA 360 sticker price $5500
Life expectancy of 6 seasons (racing 1/2 yr)

NOS kit $500
Racing weekends per year - 20
bottles per weekend w/300hp kit - 4 (apprx 20 total seconds of use per bottle)
Refill cost per bottle - $60/15lbs
Yearly additional cost - $4800.

Or you could just not fill the bottles. I like NOS and have no problem with it. I even priced my own filling station at one point. But for a bracket racer or someone with a budget, the numbers never make sense.

G/Day fellas

What are your thought on building a strong 360 and putting it on NOS or building a nice 410 stroker.

cheers

Dam dude, looks like your doing fine with what you have !!!!!

NOS + programmable controller = 8)

You can't hook any more power than a built 360 on the street anyways.

Personal preference really. It depends on what your doing with the car and if there is a certain goal you are trying to attain. I need more info. :)

I'll say this though. Nitrous is a rush, no doubt and it's very addicting. There are additional upgrades in regards to your fuel and ignition systems that will add to the cost of the kit. Bottle warmers (don't use a propane torch), progressive controllers, purge valves, fuel safety shut-offs, etc. will all add to the price in the long run. Done properly, it really is fun and you can still have a relatively mild engine for the street. :) Turbo/centrifugal/roots supercharging is another option but it is really, really pricey!

If it's a strip only car go with the stroker and if it's still not enough, then add nitrous. Please don't infer from this that a stroker won't work on the street. I'm just throwing stuff out there until I find out what you really want to do with this car.

I'd go motor, and build so if you want more you can add the power the motor doesn't make with spray.

I would love to do a stroker motor for my own setup and love all motor cars, but realistically it is not cheap if you are going to build it right the first time...for me, nitrous is the way i would go if you dont want to spend alot and want to retain the streetability you have now...Not to say that strokers are unstreetable, but if you are happy with the way your car performs on the street and want some giddyup for the track (or even for the street sometimes lol) then i think nitrous is the ticket...yes it will add up filling bottles and such, but you have to figure out the costs and what is more worth it to you....i say spray it! lol

I had a 360 on N20...lots of fun! But, it cost more in the long run by FAR.

For example: Typical race weekend at my old track...
Entry= $35
N20 = $60
Race gas (for running on N20)= $30
Total = $125

With my new stroker motor that I have now, I run the same number, but I only pay for the entry fee and pump gas.
Entry=$35
Pump gas=$10
Total = $45

Assuming 20 races per year...it cost $1600 more to run the bottle per year! Don’t get me wrong though, N20 is a blast…it’s just more expensive to run on a regular basis.

Just food for thought.

408 10.1 j head went 10.60 with 150 nos and 11.6 off it and now indy headed 11.5 comp 10.90 and 150 gas hope 9.90 this pic is aspirated

HP Heaven-Heathcote_Park_Test_and_Tune-LA1_7346.jpg

I had a 360 on N20...lots of fun! But, it cost more in the long run by FAR.

For example: Typical race weekend at my old track...
Entry= $35
N20 = $60
Race gas (for running on N20)= $30
Total = $125

With my new stroker motor that I have now, I run the same number, but I only pay for the entry fee and pump gas.
Entry=$35
Pump gas=$10
Total = $45

Assuming 20 races per year...it cost $1600 more to run the bottle per year! Don’t get me wrong though, N20 is a blast…it’s just more expensive to run on a regular basis.

Just food for thought.

did you only run race gas when you were on the bottle or off the bottle as well? Ive heard it said by more than one that Nitrous, even with a motor that has something like 10.5:1 cr or a tad higher, does not need race gas to run decent amounts of spray i.e. 150 shot or a little higher

It doesnt need any fuel different from what the engine uses. Run 87, NOS runs 87. Doing otherwise can really mess up the tuneup. Some may say it's extra precaution. Everyone I know that runs it (including me in my past) says it messes up the tune and can cause issues. I've run it on NA bikes (8.60s@185... no wheelie bar), big turbo bikes, cars, and trucks.

It doesnt need any fuel different from what the engine uses. Run 87, NOS runs 87. Doing otherwise can really mess up the tuneup. Some may say it's extra precaution. Everyone I know that runs it (including me in my past) says it messes up the tune and can cause issues. I've run it on NA bikes (8.60s@185... no wheelie bar), big turbo bikes, cars, and trucks.

Hey Moper! i remember this from the conversations we had, but i was just curious to hear his take on why he did it...i agree with what you are saying, but i still hear some guys say use race gas, and i cant help but wonder what their reasoning...i myself would run the same gas on motor and spray because i agree and im cheap:toothy10:lol

G/Day fellas

cheers
In my opinion, because I am old, do the right thing and build a motor.

from those options i would chose a stroker, that way the power is always there and you wont have to work on a second fuelsystem and filling bottles and kepping them at the right temperature and all that stuff..

me im building a blown smallblock instead just for the cool factor and it will probably be more than able to make alot more power than a stock block can and will survive anyway ;)

good pic by the way :)

did you only run race gas when you were on the bottle or off the bottle as well? Ive heard it said by more than one that Nitrous, even with a motor that has something like 10.5:1 cr or a tad higher, does not need race gas to run decent amounts of spray i.e. 150 shot or a little higher

I ran pump gas up to 150 a shot, and 180+ I used 50/50 (v/v) pump/race gas as added insurance (along with 28 degrees timing). Anything to keep detonation at bay I thought was a good thing. The motor ran N20 99% of the time for 7 years with no problems.

I know people run nitrous motors on pump gas only...but I wouldn't unless you're running a small shot. Just my $0.02.

When I started my engine build about 8yr ago there didn't seem to be too much stroker stuff out there for a somewhat budget build. So I went with a stock stroke 340 strong enough for some juice.
If I were to start again today I would do a stroker and juice, cause if your buying new stuff (crank, rods, piston) to handle the juice its prob not much more for stroker parts and if you can get another 60 cubes its worth it.
If you are only planning on 125shot or less and are on a tight budget you could freshen up the stock 360 part enough to play safely with the juice.

When I started my engine build about 8yr ago there didn't seem to be too much stroker stuff out there for a somewhat budget build. So I went with a stock stroke 340 strong enough for some juice.
If I were to start again today I would do a stroker and juice, cause if your buying new stuff (crank, rods, piston) to handle the juice its prob not much more for stroker parts and if you can get another 60 cubes its worth it.
If you are only planning on 125shot or less and are on a tight budget you could freshen up the stock 360 part enough to play safely with the juice.

definatly agree here....if you have to build the motor to handle the nitrous then by all means stroke it and stroke it good lol...but if you are already setup for some spray internally as in good forged internals (i know guys are spraying non forged stuff, but security is security imo) then i say spray away...thats the only reason im attracted to spray, since my motor is all forged inside and i dont have the money to rebuild, mine as well spray

I ran pump gas up to 150 a shot, and 180+ I used 50/50 (v/v) pump/race gas as added insurance (along with 28 degrees timing). Anything to keep detonation at bay I thought was a good thing. The motor ran N20 99% of the time for 7 years with no problems.

I know people run nitrous motors on pump gas only...but I wouldn't unless you're running a small shot. Just my $0.02.

what was the compression ratio of the motor you sprayed?

my mate has a 360 for sale runs 10.70 @125 3700 lb charger aspirated if ya interested

-
Back