Struggling at work - looking for tips.

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Thought I'd give this a shot here. I have had a rash of things come back at work ( I am a tech) for really stupid things. I'll be honest though and say the ones that really are bad are loose/missing fasteners. Case in point; the other day I did a brake job. I took the brakes apart, cut the rotors, re installed everything but only finger tightened the caliper bolts on the left side. I guess my attention turned to something else when it was time for me to cinch them down and I failed to go back and torque them properly. I put everything back together and even road tested the car (which I always do) before I sent it on it's way. Of course it came back the next day with a 'noise'. Naturally, both bolts were gone. I was pretty upset with myself at how this could have happened but whatever. Luckily, I was able to find the correct bolts and get it solved but clearly it could have been pretty bad. Sure, everyone makes mistakes but when this type of thing happens consistently, it becomes an issue.

I know that I have to 'slow down' and 'be more careful' but that's not really the point here. I am a thorough person and take pride in any job I do no matter how simple. I am not careless, lazy or stupid. Problem is I apparently have a tendency to lose focus/rush/skip/forget simple steps and often get tripped up by small details. On the surface I'm sure this makes it look like I'm careless or that there is a disconnect between my hands and brain. What I need here are tips on how to minimize these types of mistakes when time is at a minimum. Even the slightest distraction can spell disaster for me sometimes.

How do you guys double check your work before sending it on it's way? Do you use a checklist of some sort? Clearly, a 3 mile road test will not always reveal a mistake.

I thought using a paint pen to mark things completed would help, kind of like how the factory does it on the assembly line. A major drawback to that method would be adding another step. Obviously, taking another step to double check is probably better than having things come back. However, I can't always reach/see/mark every fastener I remove. Perhaps it might work, I just thought of it today.

My wife suggested I go back and check things at each 'threshold', like before I put the wheels back on, close the hood, put a belt back on etc. I liked that idea.

I do actually have one type of method for double checking wheel lugs. I tighten with a torque stick in a star pattern then go back over each lug in succession and count to 6 to make sure I got all 5. Seems to work OK and it's a habit. I feel weird when I don't do it!

So what I am looking for is tips on how to change work habits while still being productive. I know 'speed will come'. But, I need to change my work habits right now. I'm getting tired of being 'that guy' with the black cloud over his head who no one trusts to do the 'big jobs'.

Any help and or suggestions are appreciated!

- Greg

Greg,
Your wheel nut routine is your own answer. Do a job in the exact some order every time.If you have to stop or get side tracked, you just go back a few steps and pick it up form there.

You might feel old if you go to McDonald's and they ask if you need help with your tray.

I think all of us auto techs go through this. Second guessing our ability and losing self confidence is a killer. Been there-done that. When I complete a job I always take the extra time to double check my work to make sure its right, even though it takes a little longer. Your wifes suggestion, along with a checklist (in your head) is a solid plan.

Create a checklist for every job you do.

Laminate them and mark them off with a grease pencil.

When I was a mechanic, I used a variety of checklists for things, even now as a teacher I have a series of check lists for things that need to happen in my class.

Here's a book that is really useful. The book starts with an interesting story, did you know that the B-17 bomber was considered too complicated to fly? Did you know that a fatal crash led to the introduction of checklists in flying?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Checklist-Manifesto-How-Things-Right/dp/0312430000/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315253764&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right (9780312430009): Atul Gawande: Books[/ame]

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I think all of us auto techs go through this. Second guessing our ability and losing self confidence is a killer. Been there-done that. When I complete a job I always take the extra time to double check my work to make sure its right, even though it takes a little longer. Your wifes suggestion, along with a checklist (in your head) is a solid plan.

X2. Knowing what you're doing is one part of the job. Being consistant is the other. You have to redevelope your habits and take each job one at a time. Just like your wheel torque sequence. (We all torque our wheels, right?). You can do multiple jobs at one time, but just get in the habit of completing each task before stepping away. If for instance, you put a wheel on a car, you put all the lug nuts on and torque 'em. Do that every time and there will be no second guessing. Same with anything. If you put that caliper on, tighten the bolts before you step away. If you have to go check something else out, when you come back you can look at that caliper and say to yourself, "Yeah, that is done".

Sorry if this got long or preachy, I go through this subject a lot. With what I do, a bit of time can pass between one thing being done to the next phase being started. It helps to not have to guess if the previous step was done properly or if it was just "mocked up". It's one of those ounce of prevention things.

Trust me on this: Make a solid commitment to take 5 extra minutes on every car to double check all your work. You don't have to physically check but check in your mind or better yet on paper.
Take one of the forms that are used for checking in trade in's or a form that your shop uses for 42 point safety checks etc. Modify it a bit then make a ton of copies and use one for every car. I did the same thing once with a brake caliper bolt. It's why I stopped turning wrenches. The owner of the car hit the brakes and ended up doing a 360 when he hit the brakes for an exit. I got scared I was gonna kill someone. I still work on cars but not while being pressured to turn 30 hours in 4 hours time. This particular car should have been in the shop for 2 days, Brakes Timing belt 90,000 mile service, Tires, lower45 ball joints, and more. All in one afternoon. My service writer kept pushing me saying he needed it done today Yadayadayada.

Everyone makes mistakes and nobody's perfect but you can prevent any problems by completing a checklist on every car. IMO all shops should require a written checklist signed off on by the shop foreman. Not to be a ball buster but just to save your *** on that rare(LOL) occasion that you get distracted.

Unfortunately as you get older you get just a bit more forgetful.

Create a checklist for every job you do.

Laminate them and mark them off with a grease pencil.

Amazon.com: The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right (9780312430009): Atul Gawande: Books

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Joe, I am reading that book right now!

I also like the laminated checklist idea. I am gonna have to try that.

Thanks for the insight fellas, I appreciate everyone who has replied.

It's tough to work efficiently when you feel like even the simplest things are going to be screwed up. Not to mention the humiliation among the other guys that results from stuff like this.

It's tough to work efficiently when you feel like even the simplest things are going to be screwed up. Not to mention the humiliation among the other guys that results from stuff like this.

Get that out of your head right now mister. And quit worrying about them other guys. I will guaranty they ain't perfect.

Get that out of your head right now mister. And quit worrying about them other guys. I will guaranty they ain't perfect.

Of course, I know that. My problem is I tend to dwell on mistakes though and wear it on my sleeve. Working on that too.

Hey Joe, what kinds of things did you have on your laminated checklists?

That's right Greg. Everyone makes mistakes...but not everyone learns from them which is what you're doing.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
---Eleanor Roosevelt

It depended upon the job.

For example, for a brake job it might look like this.

Before Job. Brake inspection.

1. Check all lines, fittings and calipers for leaks.
2. Check rotors for run-out.
3. Check calipers for damage, or evidence of sticking.
4. Check pedal feel for leaks within the master cylinder.

During Brake Job.
1. Clean and inspect calipers for sticking.
2. Clean, inspect and pack wheel bearings.
3. Bleed brakes.

After Brake Job.
1. Check caliper bolts for tightness.
2. Check spindle nut and cotter key.
3. Check firmness of pedal.
4. Check torque on lug nuts.

As you read Gawande's book, one of the key points he makes is the checklists need to be workable and as short as possible, if they are not short, you won't use it.

The one above may in fact be too long.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Joe Dokes

Aircraft mechanics go by manuals for every job they do each step is outlined and explained after your done you must have the job inspected by an inspector who will release it, sometimes you have to have him present during certain operations. All the sugestions are good ones here's another that i use all the time [in my current job and when i was in avation] if you have a friend you trust where you work have him check your work it never hurts to have another set of eyes check you work.

In my earlier years,I left bolts loose that I installed and was going to hit it with my air ratchet later.I still hear this in my head from my old boss "If you start a Bolt finish it".
Getting in a set procedure on how you do your brakes is a good idea.A mechanic that work next to me and formerly trained at UPS for their repair facility would do brakes one wheel at a time from start to finish.When that wheel was back on it was completely finished and he moved on to the next
.Just how he was trained and it worked for him.Believe or not he flagged a lot of hours.
The biggest problems arises when interrupted by service adviser or cell phone calls(why they are not allowed in my shop...text and you are fired).
When interrupted,stop when completed with what you are doing or tightening and leave something as a reminder like a wrench still hanging from that bolt or that caliper bolt in that hubcap with the lug nuts.
If you do everything the same ever time it becomes second nature.
I have tore down timing belt jobs back apart because I did not remember tightening the tensioner bolt,and found it tight...We make mistakes but as long as we correct them before the car is delivered and we learn how to eliminate that problem in the future.
Do not ever have someone rush you.It will be done when it done.When my service advisor would push me and say it had to go,I would tell them it will be ready tomorrow.
Of course, I had a lot of respect from my Service Manager and could get away with it.

But like OwdKasd said about the big job that had to be out in one day and it was a two day job...rush it and something is going to get over looked.
You are signing your name on every job.Kiss each job and do it right.Even to clean those grease prints off that fender or hood.
TXDart

I am also a tech , I work at a very fast pace dealership. I get pulled off jobs alot, sometimes i will have 3 jobs on the go at onetime. Some of the little things that i do is, i do not start a bolt in a caliper or anything without having the wrench in my hand to tighten it, i do one wheel at a time, when finnished i install the wheel on then move to the next, same goes for the oil plug, start it and tighten at the same time, always install the oil filter before i put the oil plug in. when installing the tires snug up before lowering the hoist to the ground, I leave the hoist arms under it with slight pressure on the lifting points, torque all wheels with a torque wrench then finnish lowering the hoist and remove the arms, When draining the coolant, never pull out the drain pan until i tighten the drain first. Its works for me. When the boss pulls me off a job , i eighter tighten what i am doing first or remove it. and place it on the hiost arm where its in plain sight. Yes i have left things loose and had stupid little combacks, no one perfect, but this pattern of doings thing has worked very well for me (knock on wood) LOL.

When interrupted,stop when completed with what you are doing or tightening and leave something as a reminder like a wrench still hanging from that bolt or that caliper bolt in that hubcap with the lug nuts.
TXDart

That's a good idea. Visual cues are good.

I'm not a tech( outside of working on my own ) but for years we have taken the family car to one shop for service. they are well nown for their quallity of work. One day when i was in picking up my car ,I saw a sign that i had never noticed before hanging over the shop exit door. It said would you drive this car home? I kinda laughed to myself and asked one of the techs when they put the new sign up. He said thats been up forever. I made a joke about it and he said yea but you know you would be surprised how many of us get to this door and see that sign and say O @#*& I foregot to check this or that. No doubt your a good mechanic or it wouldn't play on your mind. Maybe you don't need a shop size sign but maybe a couple in your work area wouldn't hurt.

When someones life is in your hands you really need to focus. I know first hand! PRODUCTION is all the advisors and management care about, NOT you! I worked for a local Ford dealer for 9 years and dealt with many things. Most were garbage! I of course was a Body Tech but danger looms there too. Liabilty is yours as well as the companies when it comes to vehicle repairs. The dealer that I worked for made us carry Nextel phones. OMG what a joke! Expected to be on your hip throughout the day. Biggest distraction ever imo.

Best thing has been stated below. Triple check everything. Hang a wrench/ratchet or take it off/let it hang.. You more than likely are just Plain ol' Burnt out! If you got vacation time, Take it! Go get you some Ginseng for your focus and take it daily(It works!). Use this time to forget work and cars. Got a Lady, take her to the beach or something. You gotta clear the **** outta your head. When you go back to work you will feel the difference!
Just my 2 pennies!
Good luck

i know the feeling...

as some said you just feel like day one of looking at a car, which you know in your head isn't true!

i worked for firestone and all they want is volume... its never done fast enough. hurry up... and then you start to forget things cuz you cant process it all... that why im where i am now... fab work is alot better about that...

also somebody mentioned if you start a bolt, finish it! AMEN! also use the grease pen after tightening every bolt...

Problem is I apparently have a tendency to lose focus/rush/skip/forget simple steps and often get tripped up by small details.

I'm bein serious here.....so please don't take this as an insult. Have you been tested for ADD or ADHD? Adults DO have those disorders as well, not just children. The above quoted sentence describes someone with ADD perfectly.

I'm bein serious here.....so please don't take this as an insult. Have you been tested for ADD or ADHD? Adults DO have those disorders as well, not just children. The above quoted sentence describes someone with ADD perfectly.

Was wondering if someone was going to bring that up. I was actually diagnosed with ADD when I was 6. (I'm 41 now) Didn't really want to reveal it here but it is the underlying issue. I actually am a text book case and my symptoms cover a lot of areas. I've only recently begun to acknowledge the effect it's had on me and tried to get a handle on it. Life has not been easy for me.

And trust me when I say this - meds do not help to change work habits. I've been on a bunch of 'em for awhile now. Unfortunately, they don't work for me like they seem to for others. Or at least I have not found the correct combination/dosage that does. I would love to find the right cocktail that parts the waters.

The main problem with me forgetting stuff is because my brain processes information differently. I have a tough time compartmentalizing information, it all kind of takes the same precedence, important or not. So when a distraction occurs, my brain processes the event at the same level it was processing tightening a bolt. Not good!

Adding more steps to any process never seems like a good idea to me because it's almost the same kind of thing I'm trying to avoid. I really don't want to add another level of complexity or something else I need to remember. The simpler, the better. I really like the suggestion of leaving a wrench hanging or what have you. I saw one of the guys do that today, left the gun resting on a lug nut while he was doing something else.

I also do really well with direct instruction. I don't need my hand held but it always helps me when things are laid out for me - like, OK, take down the exhaust, take out the alternator, loosen this but don't take it out, etc etc. I have not done every job 1,000 times yet.

So with that out of the way, what I am looking for are concrete and reliable methods to combat my tendency towards inattention. I have appreciated all the suggestions so far and even tried to think about how to use some of them while I was working today.

Thanks for listening, gang.

What I do to ensure not leaving bolts loose is this. I have a tool cart, just like 99% of all mechanics do. By the end of the job all of your tools are in your cart right? I put all of my tools away in my tool box at the end of every job. While doing this it helps remind me to double check my work. Just holding that wrench in my hand again, or that ratchet with the 13mm socket stuck on it. It also keeps my cart clean and ready for the next job, and I feel way more organized. It might slow you down a little bit, but it is well worth it. JMO

Even if you work for flat rate, five minutes or less of double checking will never kill you. And you had better be test driving before and after your work! A brake job takes very little time to check, there is just not that much to check. Bigger jobs take more, but never too long. The best way to be sure, of course, is to never walk away or let yourself get distracted until the bolts are tight or the parts are installed. You are in a job where a missing or loose bolt can have serious consequences. Also, and I speak from experience, the sales guys will never feed you work and will not work hard to sell your work if they know there is a good chance it is coming back. You owe it to yourself, the other employees and the customers to minimize your distractions and double check your work.

What I do to ensure not leaving bolts loose is this. I have a tool cart, just like 99% of all mechanics do. By the end of the job all of your tools are in your cart right? I put all of my tools away in my tool box at the end of every job. While doing this it helps remind me to double check my work. Just holding that wrench in my hand again, or that ratchet with the 13mm socket stuck on it. It also keeps my cart clean and ready for the next job, and I feel way more organized. It might slow you down a little bit, but it is well worth it. JMO

That's a good one! After a a few different jobs my cart can start to have layers and layers of tools. I often end up sifting through hammers and ratchets and prybars and whatever else I haphazardly throw in there. I do actually waste a lot of time looking for the one socket that's underneath everything or that one bolt I need. I guess that could definitely lead to distraction for me.

Sometimes it takes 15-20 min. to put everything away at the end of the day.

Keep them coming!

Greg,
Your wheel nut routine is your own answer. Do a job in the exact some order every time.If you have to stop or get side tracked, you just go back a few steps and pick it up form there.

You might feel old if you go to McDonald's and they ask if you need help with your tray.

x2

Best answer. I have been in service for 28 years " not auto" but made all the same mistakes. Find a good habit and repeat it repeat it. It works

I was thinkin the same thing....I have that....somehow I got into the habit of rechecking everything before the test drive or even before the wheels went back on(prolly cause I was racing stock cars) but it became habit and a good one...you have realized you have a problem and are looking for the answer so your doing good....this is the first time I have admitted i might have adhd or add but it's all good this message will self destruct after you read it ..Wagg's:newb:

-
Back