Struggling with my project

-

FlyingFalcon

Reaction score
Hey yall, guess I just need to vent. Maybe get some advice. Some of yall know me, as I've bought from quite a few of yall and had the pleasure of meeting several of yall. For those who don't know, I bought a Dodge Dart to fix up and make my own. I'm 18, and don't know a whole lot about the actual work that goes into restoring a car. Lately I've been really struggling with my car. I'm at the body work stage, and I can't do a whole lot of it (fixing dents, welding, etc.)My Dad knows a lot about it, but doesn't really have a bunch of time to help with work and all. It isn't that I lack the want to do the work, just that I lack the know how to do it. I'll quit my bitchin' now, but does anyone have advice or anything?

Thanks FABO

There are a lot of "How-To" videos posted on You-Tube dealing with bodywork, paint, and such.

You also might check into some autobody tech courses thru your local vo-tech schools or community colleges.

The education is out there, you just have to hunt around a little to find it.

Stay strong, learn what you can, remember what you learn, and don't give up. I didn't know squat about anything more than changing brakes before in got an old car. I now know a lot more about mechanical stuff. I'm not afraid to tear into an engine anymore. I'm going to learn how to rebuild my transmission and rear end, and then I'll see if I can learn about bodywork.I've gotten mad, frustrated, and possession off along the way, but I keep coming back. I also know I can't do it all in a day. Have patience and you'll get it done.

^^^^agreed^^^! Look into continuing education in your area, they always have body shop classes!! Also, high school body shop classes may be willing to work on your car for a very reduced price, or maybe even free!! There are always options, but my best advise that I give to all of our young guns is to be patient!! There are always things that you can do that will further your project, even as you learn body skills! Start working on sub assemblies that need attention, that are in your skill level and need attention!! Do anything that you can that doesn't cost money! Cleaning, degreasing, sanding, painting....anything that needs to be done to just drop something in that's finished when the time comes!! Forward progress....that's the name of the game!!! Stay focused, and above all, stay positive!! Geof

^^^^agreed^^^! Look into continuing education in your area, they always have body shop classes!! Also, high school body shop classes may be willing to work on your car for a very reduced price, or maybe even free!! There are always options, but my best advise that I give to all of our young guns is to be patient!! There are always things that you can do that will further your project, even as you learn body skills! Start working on sub assemblies that need attention, that are in your skill level and need attention!! Do anything that you can that doesn't cost money! Cleaning, degreasing, sanding, painting....anything that needs to be done to just drop something in that's finished when the time comes!! Forward progress....that's the name of the game!!! Stay focused, and above all, stay positive!! Geof

Thanks Geof. We've got a community college real close so I'll see what they have. None of the high schools around here have body shop classes (Or I would've picked that class in a heartbeat!) I've been trying to do as many little things as I can. Redid my splash shields and undercoated them just a little ago. Proud of how they look. Thank you for the advice and kind words

Cameron

Stay strong, learn what you can, remember what you learn, and don't give up. I didn't know squat about anything more than changing brakes before in got an old car. I now know a lot more about mechanical stuff. I'm not afraid to tear into an engine anymore. I'm going to learn how to rebuild my transmission and rear end, and then I'll see if I can learn about bodywork.I've gotten mad, frustrated, and possession off along the way, but I keep coming back. I also know I can't do it all in a day. Have patience and you'll get it done.

Thanks for the advice Scott. I've learned a helluva lot since I got this car. My two biggest beasts to tackle right now are the body work and all the front suspension/disc brake swap. My biggest worry is that I'll start something and not be able to finish it. I know I'll get it all done, just a matter of when. Thanks again

Cameron

Try doing body work on front fenders or doors ? If something goes wrong they can be replaced. Read up first and foremost . Try a little bit at a time . Don't be afraid to ask questions or make mistakes ! Absolutely enjoy this part because when you're done and driving, you'll look back as this being the real fun part - learning and working on the car !! Have fun . ...:burnout:

Thanks for the advice Scott. I've learned a helluva lot since I got this car. My two biggest beasts to tackle right now are the body work and all the front suspension/disc brake swap. My biggest worry is that I'll start something and not be able to finish it. I know I'll get it all done, just a matter of when. Thanks again

Cameron

Get a FSM (factory service manual). It is invaluable in figuring out things when you have no clue. It tells you step by step instructions for the various things. I would have been so lost redoing the front suspension on my Polara last year without it. (Same steps, just a different car). I recommend getting the front end tool set from mancini or off eBay, gets the bushings out easily, tie rods off, lower control arm pivot shafts and everything else. It's a lot easier than you think.

Try doing body work on front fenders or doors ? If something goes wrong they can be replaced. Read up first and foremost . Try a little bit at a time . Don't be afraid to ask questions or make mistakes ! Absolutely enjoy this part because when you're done and driving, you'll look back as this being the real fun part - learning and working on the car !! Have fun . ...:burnout:

In all honesty the driver's side fender should be replaced. But that's a good chunk of money. Doing this on a budget too, so trying to save wherever is possible. I'll study up on it more and try my best. Thanks!

Cameron

You still in school? You have an auto shop program. Too bad your Dad won't / cant teach you. You on good terms with Dad? You might see if you can "trade" some work for him for his time. Make a 'business deal' so'ta speak

If you are interested, I would certainly pursue learning bodywork and paint. I never have, and too old to do that work, anymore, and regret not having done so

You still in school? You have an auto shop program. Too bad your Dad won't / cant teach you. You on good terms with Dad? You might see if you can "trade" some work for him for his time. Make a 'business deal' so'ta speak

If you are interested, I would certainly pursue learning bodywork and paint. I never have, and too old to do that work, anymore, and regret not having done so

Yup graduating this May. No auto shop at my school unfortunately. Culinary is the big thing. My Dad knows the stuff, just doesn't have all that much time. Works 5 a week with a 2 hour commute both ways. He gets out there and helps me when he can, just not a whole lot of time.

Definitely going to learn as much as I can

In all honesty the driver's side fender should be replaced. But that's a good chunk of money. Doing this on a budget too, so trying to save wherever is possible. I'll study up on it more and try my best. Thanks!

Cameron

That is the fender you need to practice on then. As others have said, work on small projects to develop your skills and confidence, then work up to the larger ones.

As you develop these skills you might be surprised how well you are able to repair that fender.
Dallas

front end: like the guy says, you can do it with the proper tools, sometimes they can be used from the local parts store. they che=arge you for the tool, credit you back when you return it. I have taken all my front suspension out, then take the upper A arms and lower arms to the shop and just pay them to remove and install the new bushings. the old ones can be quite a chore to remove.

body work: the best advice is enroll in a course at a tech school. if you have to learn as you do it, tackle on piece at a time, while you learn and build your skills.

if you can make some friends with this same hobby, pool your labor and equipment, one guy has a good compressor, you buy a D A sander, share and help each other. you make good friends, and help each other lear, and motivate each other,

realize out society expects immediate gratification. sometimes the work on that old musclecar is a long road!! its not always the destination, BUT the journey... my route is get it safe and driving, then fix the rust, and work on the re st as time, money, and desire propels ya! good luck...

Plan a Saturday with dad. He can show you how to do the basic bodywork in a few hours. Then practice what you've learned on an old fender etc.. Everything is perfected with practice. As others have said here, pick up a mechanic's service manual for your car. I've been working on cars for more than 50 years and I still have more to learn. So, don't let it get you down, just keep on working on your project. Over time you will learn the skills. Good luck.

Any small body shops in your area? You might stop in and talk to the owner, and explain that you want to learn to do this yourself and can't afford to pay somebody else to do it. Talk with him and see if he would be willing to show you the techniques in exchange for general labor like floor sweeping, trash emptying, etc.

You may get a few doors slammed in your face, but you may also find the right shop owner who respects a younger guy wanting to learn the trade. I have mentored a few high school kids back when I was working in my shop full time.

I myself have no formal auto body training. I learned by watching others, reading, and then doing. I have replaced roofs, floor pans, quarters, trunk floors, etc. Taken two wrecked cars, one that was hit in front and one in the rear, cut them in half, and made one good car again. Have done a few vehicles which have taken awards at local level shows. And I am self taught. You CAN do it!

I would not fret the bodywork. The body shop will most likely start at the front and work back. So pick a front corner and work back. The skill will be actually identifying highs and lows with your hand. Spend some time at several of the local body shops also. Because materials and products always change there are going to be several different techniques. That can be confusing sometimes. Be thankful you are not in New York or the "rust belt". There is a nice tutorial in the body and trim forum here.

yes, like Clroads said, a great tutorial in the body and trim area.

all above is sound advice. if you are sincere about wanting to learn , willing to do all the hard labor, just look till you find a bodyman willing to give you some pointers, and then practice! the best bodyman may be a guy that s somewhat retired, or the small shop that does little to no ins. work...

my opinion is a car being driven, that shows bodywork in progress, is a badge of honor!!!!

At 18 my attention span lasted about 8 hours on anything. Which meant if I couldn;t get "it" done I had a hard time with "my failure" and would struggle to finish larger projects. My advice - have some patience, and recognize the tiny bits that make up the whole. You won;t sand it all in a day. You won't fix every dent in a hour, you may have to take things apart to fix something tiny the right way. Just do it - whatever time it takes. You're 18. You'll have plenty of time to make it what you want.

There are a lot of "How-To" videos posted on You-Tube dealing with bodywork, paint, and such.

You also might check into some autobody tech courses thru your local vo-tech schools or community colleges.

The education is out there, you just have to hunt around a little to find it.

This is where I go for info. I had never worked on a harley but rebuilt my 80 cube with help from youtube videos.

Cameron, we have met before when I picked up the dish caps for Mike Bynum. I have a few books & a dent puller I could loan you. I am 30 minutes away from you across the border in hazzard county -we could trade labor on our projects together as I am few dollars away from painting my car as well. If your dad ever get's that gen 3 hemi E-body running, I wanna see it.

if you can make some friends with this same hobby, pool your labor and equipment, one guy has a good compressor, you buy a D A sander, share and help each other. you make good friends, and help each other lear, and motivate each other

Cameron, we have met before when I picked up the dish caps for Mike Bynum. I have a few books & a dent puller I could loan you. I am 30 minutes away from you across the border in hazzard county -we could trade labor on our projects together as I am few dollars away from painting my car as well. If your dad ever get's that gen 3 hemi E-body running, I wanna see it.

That's exactly what you need, someone close by to work with and form a friendship with. Take advantage of the opportunity, you learn and help someone while they help you.

I guess I'm trying to re-live my youth vicariously through you! There is always someone somewhere willing to help out.

Plan a Saturday with dad. He can show you how to do the basic bodywork in a few hours. Then practice what you've learned on an old fender etc.. Everything is perfected with practice. As others have said here, pick up a mechanic's service manual for your car. I've been working on cars for more than 50 years and I still have more to learn. So, don't let it get you down, just keep on working on your project. Over time you will learn the skills. Good luck.

Talked to my Dad and he said he'd be happy too. Said he'll show me on the better fender. Works perfect because then I'll have one done and can start on the other one. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the offer! I'll be happy to help in any way I can. Once I get out of school in May I'll really be able to dig into my project, and I'll be happy to help with yours. I get to learn and help someone out!

Cameron

At 18 my attention span lasted about 8 hours on anything. Which meant if I couldn;t get "it" done I had a hard time with "my failure" and would struggle to finish larger projects. My advice - have some patience, and recognize the tiny bits that make up the whole. You won;t sand it all in a day. You won't fix every dent in a hour, you may have to take things apart to fix something tiny the right way. Just do it - whatever time it takes. You're 18. You'll have plenty of time to make it what you want.

This basically describes my level of patience with most things haha. Thank you for the advice. I'll be sure to post about my progress. I'll keep all of this in mind

-
Back