Strut Rod Bushing Question for '72 Duster

-

MoparManiac117

Reaction score
I am rebuilding the suspension on my '72 Duster and have a question about the strut rod bushing. The bushing I received in my kit is not like the bushing I pulled out of the car (see picture for the new bushing). I have a few questions about this bushing:
1. Is this the right bushing?

2. What is the orientation of the bushing (taper to control arm side of k-frame or pointing towards the front of the car)?

3. From which side of the car do you insert this bushing?

4. What is the correct direction for the washers (I have done a lot of searching on this and there seems to be a lot of disagreement).

5. I've read that there are different washers for aftermarket and OEM bushings. Since this does not look like the original bushing, does that mean it's aftermarket and I have to get new washers too?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

photo2.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing one that looks like that. Get a Moog "problem solver" strut bushing and install it according to the supplied directions. I don't know how to install the one you have there it looks really similar to what chrylser used on the fwd k-car for the lca rear bushing.

I do know there was a few different styles. Im guessing you need the one that looks like a hockey puck! I believe you need MOOG K7040

Almost sure that is the one I installed in my 69 Dart,I kind of remember installing from the front of the K and whacking it with a hammer and it seated good.

that is the factory style bushing aftermarket bushing are usually 2 pieces, should be installation instructions with it, Lawrence

I have disassembled a '72 & '74 Dusters. Both of them had 2 piece bushings. Take that one back and get the 2 piece Moog set. It comes with directions for the install.
C

that is the factory style bushing aftermarket bushing are usually 2 pieces, should be installation instructions with it, Lawrence

There were no instructions with the kit. I got it from PST. Also, does it matter that I have the Mancini Racing strut rods? They're not the adjustable kind but they are a slightly different design that the factory originals. Don't have a pic of them right now. Can maybe get one tomorrow. Here is a link to the description on their website.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/coarmst.html

They just have one for all A-bodies. I noticed that there are two different Moog part numbers for these bushings. One for pre '73 and another for after '73. Which part number goes with these strut rods? Anybody using these?

Almost sure that is the one I installed in my 69 Dart,I kind of remember installing from the front of the K and whacking it with a hammer and it seated good.
same as the ones we used in my Duster, too- I think we seated it about the same way too lol.

Don't waste your time installing that bushing, go get a good moog one. I used that bushing on my car and it was total crap. Also if it craps out on you and you need to change it, it is a real pain.

So it sounds like I need to get a set of good Moog bushings...so I guess I have a new question. Like I mentioned above, because there are two different strut rod designs (Pre '73 fine thread and '73&up coarse thread), there are two different Moog bushings (K7068 for the '73&up and K7040 for the pre '73). Since I destroyed my strut rods getting them out (40 years of rust and sitting was not kind to them), I ordered the aftermarket ones from Mancini. Does anyone use these and know which bushings work with them?

Hi Guys,

Mopar used two styles of strut rod bushings either style will work just fine with your car. We back all of our products with our life time warranty. I have the style that you have on my 72 Duster with no issues. Attached is a scan from a factory mopar parts book I hope this helps.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing Supervisor
1-800-247-2288
Ext 316

Image.jpg

i used the moog kit the other day. the washers had directions as to orientation on them such as "towards front" and such.

Hi Guys,

Mopar used two styles of strut rod bushings either style will work just fine with your car. We back all of our products with our life time warranty. I have the style that you have on my 72 Duster with no issues. Attached is a scan from a factory mopar parts book I hope this helps.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing Supervisor
1-800-247-2288
Ext 316

Thanks for the help on this James. That page will also come in handy! Also, I did go ahead and get the Moog part, K7040. I talked to Mancini and they said that part number would work with their strut rods. I'm not trying to knock anything that PST does (I'm using their kit on everything else in the front suspension), I just wanted to get these upgraded bushings since it seems to be one of the more common parts I've read about people having problems with. Thanks to everybody for the help and input! :cheers:

Thanks for the help on this James. That page will also come in handy! Also, I did go ahead and get the Moog part, K7040. I talked to Mancini and they said that part number would work with their strut rods. I'm not trying to knock anything that PST does (I'm using their kit on everything else in the front suspension), I just wanted to get these upgraded bushings since it seems to be one of the more common parts I've read about people having problems with. Thanks to everybody for the help and input! :cheers:
MoparManiac117,

I understand completely lol and I take no offense. As you know pictures are worth a thousand words thats why I love diagrams. If any of you guy ever need a break down I will do my best to provide you with one. We (PST) are just here to help.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing Supervisor
1-800-247-2288
Ext 316

-
Back