Strut rod bushing question

-

69GT

Reaction score
I bought and installed a set of these strut rod bushings in the k-frame in my 69 Dart. Just want to be sure I put them in the right way before I bolt everything up. I installed them with the tapered end on the left toward the rear of the car so looking at the picture would be like looking at the passenger side bushing installed. Is this correct?

HWC1443_main-01.jpg

I bought and installed a set of these strut rod bushings in the k-frame in my 69 Dart. Just want to be sure I put them in the right way before I bolt everything up. I installed them with the tapered end on the left toward the rear of the car so looking at the picture would be like looking at the passenger side bushing installed. Is this correct?

View attachment 1716168672

Me thinks the tapered end goes rearward.
Never accepted that type, and only use the 2 piece.

Strut rod new style bushing install question

Last edited:
I believe they're installed from the rear of the k-frame going forward with the tapered end to leading the way. Sounds like you installed from the front going into the k-frame towards the rear ? I put them on the rod itself with the large washer and shoved from the rear. Was a fight for sure and used lots of lube.

"Sounds like you installed from the front going into the k-frame towards the rear ?" Yes. I suppose they'll be a pita to get back out to reverse them. :BangHead:

They go from the front to the rear. They slide in easy if you do it the right way, not installing the rod till they are in...tighten the nut all the way, till there are no more threads to tighten. like the factory did it....Two piece are, IMO not good.

"Me thinks the tapered end goes rearward."

"I believe they're installed from the rear of the k-frame going forward with the tapered end to leading the way."

"They go from the front to the rear."

Now I'm not sure what to think.

Does anyone have pics of them installed?

Go to the Factory Service Manual rather then listen to all the yahoos here... :rofl:

Screenshot_20231114-141515.png

The factory installed them from the front and pushed the tapered end toward the rear through the K-member. In reality, it really doesn't matter once everything is tightened down.

OK, good. So I have them the right way after all. Thanks.
Now get you a factory service manual. Not to keep you from asking questions, but so you'll know what's correct.

I don't know if the '69 service manual would have that info or not. My '66 manual doesn't, but, my '70 manual does in a photo. It's shown in the factory parts manuals however. Neither service manual describes which direction it should be installed, so, you would have to go by the photo. The service manual just says to install it using a twisting motion and that water may be used as a lubricant. I use some silicone grease myself. It will help preserve the rubber also.

Neither service manual describes which direction it should be installed, so, you would have to go by the photo
They also don't say the direction that the upper control arm bushings are installed, but the photos show it.

Personally I would rather have a good detailed photo than a word description.

-
Back