Stuck doors suck

-

440magnum

Reaction score
Hi. Anyone know a way to open a stuck door. Both doors stuck tried WD40,lock button does not go down. Door button does not depress. I think it's gremlins. Car is a '67 Barracuda

They are both stuck? and closed? If you can get into the car - through the trunk or an open window, remove the door panels and start disconnecting or lubing the various linkage parts until you find the stuck one. If it is in fact the striker / latch assembly and you cannot unstick it - pull the rear side panel (behind the door) and carefully drill the threaded end of the latch post where it screws into the door jamb, and you should be able to get the door(s) open. The latch assembly in the door is held into the door by 3 screws which are accessed with the door open.

Good luck!

are they stuck from the inside also?
You can run a pick under the vent window latch to release it. Then pull the inside door handle to open door. Or if fastback, lower trunk access and get into drivers compartment. If both are stuck from insdie... remove seat if bucket and remove door panel and manually release the latch assy.

Car is a notchback. Windows are down so easy access. Took door panel off pass side. Outside door button pushes in but nothing happens. Pulling on inside latch feels like its trying to pull back.

Probably hanging up on the striker, or rusted to it. A rear door in my 65 Newport used to do that until I adjusted the striker slightly. I had to wack it straight out on the top with the palm of the my hand and it would pop open. Worst-case, you might have to loosen the hinges (if a front door), which I think requires removing the front fenders.

The latch mechanisms are a little touchy. If it isn't all the way to one position or the other they will hang. This what happens when the striker post moves away from the latch. The latch stops short of its fully closed movement. We can just about bet on the door being down a bit also ( worn hinges ) which is what pushed the striker post away.
What to try... Lift the outside handle and push the door toward closed with much force.
If the latch does complete its movement it will operate again.

Hook a chain to the handle. Leave slack and hook the other end to the trunk latch of your driver. Pull fast and hard. Keep your head below the seat for safety reasons. This works great for me .

did you just get this car and it was like this? or is it a daily that this suddenly happened to?
The striker plate is caged to the quarter panel. In conjunction with what Redfish said, You might be able to get the plate to move enough with a hammer chisel/punch to release it. Or drill out the striker bolt from the plate from the quarter panel and replace both. Last resort grind off the 3 large rivet heads holding the latch mechanism together.

-
Back