Stuck in first.

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
Went racing last nite made 2 passes on 3rd pass car got stuck in 1st gear.The clutch goes in but won,t shift.Any ideas?Istill have the car on the trailer as I haven,t unloaded it yet.Thanks for any help.

I have had the same problem. Go under the car and unhook the shifting rod and see if you can shift the tranny out of first by hand. you may have bent a shift rod and put it a little out of adjustment, or the shifter is junk like mine. If you bent a shift rod it doesn't do any good to straiten it, just go out and buy the good Hurst Competition Plus shifter and rods and it will be fixed for good. My shifter hangs up sometimes and doesn't let it shift at all. Hope this helps. Been watching your posts and seen you have been racing it a bit. Your car reminds me of mine I think they run alot alike. Thanks Rick

This is what broke in mine.
Inside the tranny
But you reminded me that I did break the arm off the bottom of a Hurst Comp Plus back in the late 70s. It was new enough that Hurst warrantied it with a complete unit.

Got under the car today after work and as 340valiant said wah-lah the nut for the shifter arm had vibrated loose causing it to stay in1st.Took all arms and nuts off,cleaned and lock tight.Ready to go drag racing again!!Thanks guys for all the ideas and help..:cheers:

I have had this happen once. It wasn't the trans or shifter. What happened was that one of the eye bolts in the B&B pressure plate broke. It allowed the pressure plate to remain clamped onto the disc with sufficient pressure to lock it up. It may not be your probably but it's worth a check.

This post on Stuck in first was 4 months ago?The shifter arm kept getting stuck in 3rd position.Thanks for the Ideas but your a little lat.LMFAO!!

-
Back