stuck on the side of the road no start

-

cosworth

Reaction score
Crusing along fine all of a sudden felt like I lost some cylinders pull over and the car dies checked wires all good cap and rotor good. Tried to recrank and still not all cylinder firing tried again and no spark at all. Think ign. Mod or ballast?

Car is a 74 duster b.t.w.

if you have a good ignition module you can swap it over and try but if it was missing before it died it could very well be something else because the ignition modules normally either work or dont same with the ballast resistor if the ballast resistor dies the car would run as long as its in the start position as soon as you let go of the switch it dies .
im thinking you might want to check the coil first and make sure the distributer shaft is turning and it isnt a broken cam or timing chain

I don't have a spare just looking for input while I wait for my trailer to get here.

I can still get one cylinder to fire every 5 mins or so.

Same happened to me when driving the 64 Valiant I just bought home. Found no spark. Rather than trouble-shoot the wiring on the side of the road, I just ran a jumper wire (never leave home without some) from the battery to the upstream side of the ballast resistor and drove home fine (actually I first hooked to coil+, drove 5 min, then started missing at higher throttle, coil real hot, so hooked thru ballast). When I got it home, I pulled the key switch out and found no factory connector and a bunch of spade terminals, with several coming loose and/or shorting.

seemed like a no spark problem, didnt think fuel pump but replacement parts seem to be getting more and more iffy these days.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

My wife wrecked her car so shes driving my truck and ill be cruising my duster till insurance fixes it. Guess I need to round up a few spare parts!

If you get a single spark from the coil every time the ignition switch moves from start to run.. The brown wire / run circuit is good, the blue wire / start circuit is faulted.
If you still have the 5 pin module and dual ballast resistor they can be the problem.

-
Back