Stuck torshon bars

-

zartan

Reaction score
I'm removing the torshon bars from my 72 swinger. I'm changing the suspension complealty. I've removed the adjuster but the bars are still rock solid. I'm about to cut them off completely any tips so I don't kill me self or am I over looking something?

I have never removed them myself, but I know they make tools to remove them, I would guess they must be under alot of tension, be carefull. someone else should chime in hopefully

No but the old timer who's helping me made it seem
Like they should be pretty slack but he's not a mopar guy

Are your lower control arms lowered all the way down?
Have you removed the upper control arm bump stops?
Have you disconnected the shocks?

If not you probably still have tension on the bars.

Have you removed the C-Clips at the rear of the bars on the trans. crossmember?

In the past I have done all of the above and one still would not come out.
I then took the strut rod loose, took the nut off the lower control arm pivot and smacked the arm to move it backwards. That pushed the bar back and I was then able to remove it.

They can be a pain.

torsionbars.jpg

if your going to replace them anyway save
yourself a lot of work - get the torch out
and cut them.

No but the old timer who's helping me made it seem
Like they should be pretty slack but he's not a mopar guy

Get the torsion bar remover/installer form Mancini http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/tobarreabceb.html ( or wherever else you want). Back out the adjuster (sounds like you've done that already), remove the retaining clip, installe TB removal tool, hit the tool with a sledge.

This is the abbreviated version as I see AbodyJoe listed the instructions for you!

Should come right out!

Are your lower control arms lowered all the way down?
Have you removed the upper control arm bump stops?
Have you disconnected the shocks?

If not you probably still have tension on the bars.

Have you removed the C-Clips at the rear of the bars on the trans. crossmember?

In the past I have done all of the above and one still would not come out.
I then took the strut rod loose, took the nut off the lower control arm pivot and smacked the arm to move it backwards. That pushed the bar back and I was then able to remove it.

They can be a pain.
That's the safe way. If you're pulling everything out anyway, take it all loose and pry/hammer it to the rear until it all comes apart.

an update if anyone cares, i loosened every thing, then took my time cutting them no issues

-
Back