Stuck water pump bolt on 65 Valiant

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
Went to change the water pump on the 4 dr Valiant and the upper, passenger side long bolt is stuck!!! AND I mean stuck. It will not turn with a hand ratchet, not with a air ratchet, not with a 1/2 impact or breaker bar. The radiator has been empty for a while and the inside of the hoses and thermostat housing are really rusty. Any good tips for getting some oil or rust breaker to the threads? I'm afraid I will break it off if I put on a cheater pipe and I really don't want to pull the motor. Let's hear those great secrets.

Go ahead with the large effort. If it breaks it most likely break at the face of the block. The water pump and timing cover serve as your guide to get a true center in the broken threaded portion. Do that with the right center drill or 25/64 drill bit before you tear down to it. Drill and tap it out with short bits and offset drill motor or pull grille and radiator and go at it with extended shank tools.

Plan on a new timing cover. The bolt has corroded into the aluminum water pump and timing cover the entire length between the water pump and block. I've had to take a wiz wheel and cut the timing cover open all the way the length of that hole to get one apart before. When you go back with it, drill all the holes that go through into a water jacket one size up and coat the entire length of those bolts and the threads with high temp RTV and it will never happen again.

You could cut the bolt head off and may not have to destroy the pump or cover.
If the water pump and cover come off, great.
If they don't and you have to cut them off you will still have a nice big stud in there that can be soaked and worked out.

Can you get to that bolt head?
The reason I ask is because if you can get a couple of good sharp raps on the bolt head with a decent size hammer (12-16oz or so) it could break loose.

Went for broke and Broke!!! The head off, cover is corroded thru so it will have to be replaced. Plus, both holes going into the water jacket are completely blocked! Packed full! and got to looking at the drivers head and noticed no paint and has that burnt iron look!!!! Now to get the cover off, pop the valve covers and go from there. Not what I wanted to find, but at least it's not locked up. Also fuel pump arm had a nice wear spot, probably 1/32 cupped out from the cam.

Sounds like you need to go ahead and build it. Sounds nasty enough to need hot tanking.

-
Back