Stuff leaking out of ignition box.

-

92b

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This truck has a high speed miss starts a random miss above 4000 rpm . I tried a new coil and it still misses. I was looking things over and noticed what looks like something leaking out the ignition box. Is this a sign the box is failing or about to fail? What is a good box to replace it with? 1978 D150 rebuilt 360 motor, small cam, headers and thermoquad like demon carb. Lil red express.

16357276225568986337587560977232.jpg

Remove it and see if drip run is a actually coming from the module. I would replace it with an FBO module. Will have to get a 1.5 ohm coil too, maybe a good set Petronics flame thrower plug wires.

That is in human terms the Cerebral Spinal fluid leaking out. Not good. In years past most people would carry a spare ECU unit and a ballast resister in their glove box.

That is in human terms the Cerebral Spinal fluid leaking out. Not good. In years past most people would carry a spare ECU unit and a ballast resister in their glove box.
Lol. I going to look in the glove box tomorrow and see if one is in there.

If you decide to toss the leaking one, i might be intrested in it. I like taking things apart! I'll pay shipping!

That leaking stuff is called potting. It is used to keep moisture out and also to "hold" components in from vibration. In your case any good OEM replacement box will work, whatch out for the new "fake" ones usually have mopar authorizedand no writing on the transistoe. There is a how to thread on how to spot them. Yes I have some if needed also. Hope this helped.

If the module tests good, don't worry about the potting resin. You can add more if you really want to, but, I've had brand new ones in the box leak like that. Doesn't seem to affect how they work of the leaky ones I've had and used. They just make a hell of mess, and that stuff is hard to remove.

-
Back