Stupid me...

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an A904 and it's out, I can't remember if the spool mount (open) side of the cross member goes toward the front of the car or back...I plum forgot. I've seen on E-bodies it goes forward, and I've seen on A bodies people orienting toward the rear of the car. Which is it for my A body? Pics?

Yeah, see, I was remembering it forward, but I looked at some installs online and it was toward the back. I thought that looked funny, so I'm asking. Anyone have pics of it foward in their A body, A904?

OK, I checked the '76 factory service manual, and it shows it either way, depending on the body type. I'm pretty sure I had it toward the front of the car and it worked fine, fit well. I'd still like to hear from others. My car is a '67 dart 2 dr hardtop, but I swapped to 73-76 style kframe spool type motor and spool type transmission mounts.

1.png

2.png

It's only going to fit one way- the bolt hole spacing and angle is different from side to side.

The reason I'm asking also is that if indeed one mounts it forward, then one can use the Mancini Racing style drive shaft loop as it mounts on the back of the cross member. I was gonna fabricate one like that if indeed mounted toward the front....I'll just have to wait until I put the tranny back in, it'll fit one way and not the other...pretty sure it was forward though.

It gives the car lines.

Ether it will fit one way or the other way. Simple to fix.

Your picture shows rear facing for Caroline "V" which in the factory manual I believe that stands for Valiant so, it's rear facing.

Maybe just drop a line to the floor from where the back of the engine sits.
Do the same with the trans cross member.
Measure.
Compare with trans bell face to mount bolt holes.

Take lots of pitures. They can help sometimes! :)
1708352964520.png

Yeah, totally on the pics, I was searching through my pics to see if I had one of the tranny crossmember...

Yeah, I saw the "V" which says it goes rear facing, which is what confused me as I thought I had it forward facing. I'll figure it out when I put the engine and tranny back in.

I can fab a loop that bolts to the seat bolts, I used 3/8"-16 grade 8 bolts that hold my 2000 Sebring seats to the floor (with 1/8" steel plates on the inside and the outside of the floor. I can bolt loop hardware to those. It looks like a 5-6" loop will fit nicely in the tunnel, and I can weld 2" wide x 1/4" thick steel bar to the loop. That'll do nicely. I can send pics whenever I make it; I'm waiting for my engine, so I can install it and the tranny first.

BTW, in my overzealous excitement, thinking the spool mount is forward facing, I started fabricating a driveshaft loop like the Mancini one. I have the pieces if anyone wants them, I'll charge only the shipping cost. I made the bracket that bolts to the cross member from angle iron, welded a loop to a steel bar, drilled a hole in the top of the loop (to bolt to the trans tunnel) and made buttresses for the angle bracket. One need only bend the bar to match whatever angle is needed to weld or bolt to the angle bracket (I was planning to trim down the angle bracket a bit once I fitted the bar, then weld the angle braces to it after that). See pics below, PM me if interested, '72 and earlier style, like the Mancini one.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Easy to see how it fits. Put the cross member in and see which way the bolt holes line up. It either does or it doesn’t. Kim

-
Back