Stupid Question About Clutch Safety?

-

ckj688

Reaction score
This year I had converted my 3 speed auto to a standard. It's September and time for me to go for an inspection. Here's what I'm wondering...did a '70 Dart come stock with a clutch safety switch, and if it didn't, does this mean they must overlook this during inspection?

Thanks!
Craig

You are asking the wrong question.

The question is, why are you living in a state where you allow the state to mandate such a stupid law?

Frankly, I don't know whether [[{{((""ALL""))}}]] 70 stick cars came with it or not. My 70 RR had one, was one of the first things to get disconnected

A quick check at Rock Auto, I could not find a listing BUT they show only ONE starter relay which would indicate that the car did come with a clutch switch, which hooks up the same way as an auto NSS.

This year I had converted my 3 speed auto to a standard. It's September and time for me to go for an inspection. Here's what I'm wondering...did a '70 Dart come stock with a clutch safety switch, and if it didn't, does this mean they must overlook this during inspection?

Thanks!
Craig
I don't remember any that year but the inspectors probably won't either so you can probably argue successfully that they didn't come with one. I doubt they would make you retro-fit one in there but you may have to check your state rules on that.

I believe all manual transmission cars starting in 1970 required a clutch safety switch. Here is a picture of one from a friends factory 4sp 70 Dart.
clutchsafety.jpg

~Michael

Wonder how many people forget to push the clutch in while starting car in gear?

I have seen a couple of work benches or tool boxes that have incurred the wrath. And a couple of bystanders, 1 of which died..not pretty.

My 1990 Dodge W250 4X4 with a HD 4 speed trans did NOT come from the factory with a clutch safety switch. I am the original owner.
FWIW

George

Some 4X4 do not have the clutch interlock because when off-roading there are certain circumstances in which you would WANT to engage the starter with the car in gear.

For example, a buddies 97 Jeep Wrangler will start in gear.

Although a neutral safety switch is probably a good idea, just remember you can't fix stupid, although the government keeps trying.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I've always heard starting an engine with the clutch depressed can wear out the thrust bearing. I wonder if it's true.

I've always heard starting an engine with the clutch depressed can wear out the thrust bearing. I wonder if it's true.

I always start my vehicles in neutral, for some reason it is just habit from starting old cars with a stiff clutch.
I also put my cars in neutral when sitting at a stop light, it is much easier on the throw out bearing.

I never heard of wearing the thrust bearing on start up.

Whether or not you think they are a good idea, if you have children they certainly ARE a good idea.

...and it was a SMART question, btw.

I always start in neutral as well, but man, these things are $$ for something that just grounds the starter relay...is this something that one could make to get me buy during inspection until I can afford a legitimate one?

My 1990 Dodge W250 4X4 with a HD 4 speed trans did NOT come from the factory with a clutch safety switch. I am the original owner.
FWIW

George

yes it did, it is required by federal law on all new passenger vehicles sold
(there may be some type of exception for heavy duty trucks)

although I have never seen a vehicle fail inspection for not having one

I always disable them on my vehicles because I find them annoying

Maybe the 3/4 ton and up didn't have one?
I know for a fact it came that way. Not only am I the original owner, but I factory ordered it through Steven's Dodge in Milford CT.

George

Mine's a 3/4 ton. Maybe yours has a bad one, and you just assumed it does not exist at all? They can also get stuck shut and cause the same symptom.

Huh. I always thought "safety" is an integral part of the driver. Even my automatic cars will start in any gear.

As for a mandatory inspection - screw that noise. I chafe at the 1968 & up smog test here.

B.

-
Back