Stupid question about hooking up Lokar throttle cable

-

buffoni88

Reaction score
The directions are not so awesome, as I'm sure some of you may know. I've searched the forums, but apparently I'm the only one with this question. Actually, numerous questions. I'll try to break them down one at a time, bare with me!

1) The directions say "Note: cable housing must not be straight between fittings". What exactly does this mean? Should I put a loop in the whole cable?

2) It says in BOLD letters: "DO NOT remove ferrule when cutting housing. Be sure to slide ferrule back." What's the reasoning for this? How am I supposed to slide it back when it stops at the throttle cable housing?

I'm just kind of confused to this whole procedure. My biggest question is, in the attached pictures, do I have this hooked up right? I'm assuming that piece on the end is the "clevis"?

View attachment 262364

View attachment 262365

Lol I believe that piece is suppose to hook to the carb..

When I get home in an Hr ill take pics for you and post them here

Not that I noticed in the installation instructions...it doesn't even show it in the instructions. i'm about to just take it out I guess.

Ok, I actually READ the directions, and now I feel stupid (about my clevis question). Still confused about my other questions though!

I re-used the old factory cable housing and just changed the inside cable. Pulls right out un hook and any hardware store has cable the same diameter on a wheel sold by the foot. I got 10 feet and have spare cable somewhere in that garage.

Lots of fun to break a cable, throttle in my case was stuck 3/4 open. Take your foot off the gas and car keeps going till you shut the engine off. Then its close throttle by hand, set idle speed around 1,700 and creep the car home. That idle speed is slow enough to still brake the car to a stop yet can go 20--25 mph

I can tell you one thing about the Lokar cable. Make SURE that you slide a piece of vacuum hose over it if it goes anywhere near you bulkhead connector. I was at the Mopar Nats 2 years ago and cruising Brice road when my car went black. Knowing it's not a good thing to have your car go black I went out and looked under the car to see if the battery cable from the trunk had somehow shorted out, but it looked okay. It was about that time that someone said "dude you've got a fire under the hood". I removed the hood pins and had a guy almost break my hood trying to lift it off before all of the clips were loose. I see that the fire is small enough that the bottle of water in my car would put it out, but by the time I got it out of my car Smokey The Bear with his brand new fire estinguisher blasted my entire engine compartment YUK!!! We pushed the car into a lot and got a flashlight and found that the rocking of the engine caused the braided steel on the cable to rub through the main power wire at the bulkhead connector, and it wouldn't have been so bad because there is a fusable link there but it rubbed through the wrong side of the link.....and then the rain started LOL. Ya know don't you hate admitting that your wife was right? The last thing she said to me was "do you want to take this black tape?" I said well I think I have some in the tool box in the trunk but I'll take it anyway. We had to use almost all of the tape because the fire melted pretty much all of the wiring at the bulkhead connector. We also found that the little ball snapped off of the cable at the accelerator petal when I pressed on it to start the car. I wound up buying an entire harness at the track (it was junk too because although it was brand new whoever crimped the wires on did a crappy job they just kept pulling appart). I also had to buy a new Lokar cable and this time I slid vacuum hose over it. Just a little word of advice.

WOW! Crazy story! I made this a lot more difficult then it had to be, my apologies if you feel that I wasted your time. All advice WAS taken into consideration, and I got it hooked up. I made sure that it would not interfere with anything also, thanks for your story, and sorry to hear what happened! Live n learn, right? I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future, like when my kickdown cable gets here! Also, I was thinking about this the other day. I wasn't going to keep a toolbox in the trunk, thinking it's just asking for something bad to happen. Now, I've decided that I'm going to go pick up some new tools for the garage to replace the old ones, and keep the crucial oldies in the trunk, in case something like this happens!!!!!!!

The next extra $25 I get going to Home depot or Lowes and getting a mini fire extinguisher to keep, maybe under passenger seat? Fires can spread very fast, sometimes just opening the hood will cause the fire to rage out of control--then its good bye car. You should open the hood slowly and use the extinguisher to put the fire out.

The directions are not so awesome, as I'm sure some of you may know. I've searched the forums, but apparently I'm the only one with this question. Actually, numerous questions. I'll try to break them down one at a time, bare with me!

1) The directions say "Note: cable housing must not be straight between fittings". What exactly does this mean? Should I put a loop in the whole cable?

2) It says in BOLD letters: "DO NOT remove ferrule when cutting housing. Be sure to slide ferrule back." What's the reasoning for this? How am I supposed to slide it back when it stops at the throttle cable housing?

I'm just kind of confused to this whole procedure. My biggest question is, in the attached pictures, do I have this hooked up right? I'm assuming that piece on the end is the "clevis"?

View attachment 262364

View attachment 262365

take that alumn piece off the end of the cable. the little round thing holds it to the pedal fine. as far as the cable not being straight goes, no it doesn't need a loop just a little curve to it.. if its perfectly straight it may be pulled too tight

The next extra $25 I get going to Home depot or Lowes and getting a mini fire extinguisher to keep, maybe under passenger seat? Fires can spread very fast, sometimes just opening the hood will cause the fire to rage out of control--then its good bye car. You should open the hood slowly and use the extinguisher to put the fire out.

That's a good idea. I always carry one with me just in case.

-
Back