stupid question.....

-

triggerjay

Reaction score
During the rebuild on our 318 duster,.... I bought a new A727. The car had an A904 in it factory. My old driveshaft WILL NOT fit. The new transmission seems to be about 2" longer.... does anyone have an exact length measurement for a 318/727 driveshaft in a 71ish duster? I know I will have to have one made, but I do not know how much to have taken out for trans yoke movement. Thanks

Triggerjay

NO, not on hand, but your right, it is shorter by a little bit. I forget the exact length difference between the 904 & the 727.

I understand you can order it from Summitt/Jegs. They use a company that probably has the length on hand.
I gotta do one for my /6 to 318 swap. I changed the 7-1/4 to a 8-1/4 rear. The shaft doesn't fit.

I would check with Best Bilt,on E. Kearney in Springfield. They have a great reputation,and generally pretty reasonable. They built the one in my Sport a couple years ago for p/o. Reciept is for less than $150. :thumbrig:

DSCN0008 (Small).JPG

Nice looking duster you have there...hope the driveshaft situation works out. Going through the same ordeal on mine.

You will need a 727 slip yoke too. Personally I would have kept the 904.

superdart said:
Sure Adam, ruin his day....:lol:

lol i agree with adam as well. 904s are very underestimated by many. When rebuilt even with replacement parts and a shift kit/kickdown lever they are pretty strong. I'll be putting a 904 based 998 behind my planned 11second 360. :toothy7:

We still have the factory 904. Wanted to keep it for the #'s matching thing. But it was tired. I already bought the 727 slip yoke. The things I have left on the car to get it back on the road are exhaust, which is sitting on the garage floor... (x-pipe kit with turbo mufflers) and the driveshaft. Does the 727 use a larger u-joint than then 904? because if it does, I will have to take that into consideration when I have the driveshaft made. Other than that stuff, and a few other small problems,..... it will be back on the road. During the initial break in on the motor, it ran great.... now, it will only run on a prime directly to the carb. I changed the fuel filter, made sure it had gas, and it still wont run on its own. I think the fuel pump may be bad. Have not had the time to look into it yet though.

Triggerjay

I have a 73 340 duster w/ 727 and 8.25
(soon to be 383 w/ 8.75) if you want me
to crawl under and measure length for you
let me know.

Nope, thanks anyways. That will not fit.

Triggerjay they have 2 different sizes of u-joints they used. The 7260 series and the 7290 series. Most A-body cars I've seen had the smaller 7260 u-joint. Hopefully the yoke you bought was for the smaller one.

-
Back