Stupid question.

-
Reaction score
I might get banned from fabo soon for asking all these dumb question, but can somebody please explain the difference in each shifting style?

Specifically:

Automatic shift I assume is basically like an automatic from a car, just shifts for you as you drive.

Reverse manual shift? Is that where you pull up for down and down for up? Or something along those lines, also transbrake is a button that once you hit right RPM rate you sit at that until you hit the button and it releases for a quicker launch correct? Sorry if I am wrong.

And how do I correctly pick my torque converter? Engine specs w/ rear end specs?

I am sorry....:newb:

I might get banned from fabo soon for asking all these dumb question, but can somebody please explain the difference in each shifting style?

Specifically:

Automatic shift I assume is basically like an automatic from a car, just shifts for you as you drive.

Reverse manual shift? Is that where you pull up for down and down for up? Or something along those lines, also transbrake is a button that once you hit right RPM rate you sit at that until you hit the button and it releases for a quicker launch correct? Sorry if I am wrong.

And how do I correctly pick my torque converter? Engine specs w/ rear end specs?

I am sorry....:newb:

automatic shift....put trans in Drive...it shift itself thru the gears
reverse manual shift...you need a Reverse Manual Valve Body...manual valve bodies have no automatic features as noted above...you put it in 1st...stays there until you move shifter.....will start in 2nd gear or 3rd gear if the shifter is in 2nd or 3rd....No automatic features..Plus the Reverse means you are shift away from neutral ...where DRIVE is ...now is 1st....2nd is the same...where 1st was is not 3rd.....

transbrake....locks up trans in 1st and Reverse at same time...requires a valve body with build in transbrake.......went you engage transbrake...you floor it..the engine goes up to the stall speed of the converter...unless a msd two step is used...

Well that explains everything perfectly, I thank you very much, mind if I pick your brain one last time?

I am currently in market for a new rear end, I love the Dana 60s, but hate the weight. Would it be worth it to spend a little extra cash to get this lightweight unit I found, supports up to 3100#s and they were pushing a 750rwhp GN on it with hard launches no problem, total weight is 75#s all together, or just stick with a 8 3/4 and keep the extra weight?

A lot will depend on how much horsepower you're making. The stock 8 3/4 with a 489 or 742 center will usually handle 500HP although after 400HP, I would use aftermarket axles. Higher than 500HP, I would look for some upgrades to the 8 3/4 or if you're making 800HP or more, going with the Dana 60.

Thanks for the help, currently I am going to be pushing 5xx on the motor, but hope to upgrade after I hit 10s to hit my next goal of 9s on all motor. So dana 60 it is, was just so scared about the horror stories of the weight and the power it robs, but I read a few stories in some magazines that said that Dana 60s aren't as bad as everybody usually says.

You can also check with Moser on their whizbang custom 8 3/4 stuff. They claim it will handle all kinds of horsepower. The nice thing about them is you can swap the 3rd members faily easily to match different tracks compared to what you have to go through to change gears in a Dana.

-
Back