stupid suspension ,please help !!!!!

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Happy thanksgiving to everybody. So I'm having issues with my 73 dart. The car is leaning to one side really bad, and I can't figure out why. I tried ajusting the torsion bars but it dosent make sense. On the driver side the bolt is all the way in and on the passenger side its all the way out. That's the closest I got the car to sit right, which still not right. The car has a 2" drop spindle tubular control arms, new shocks all around and 1" torison bars. New 1" drop leafs in the rear. I'm lost and don't know what the problem is. If somebody could help me out or point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Thanks.

I'd jack it up, remove the tires, and lower it down to "normal" height with one center jack under the K member, and see if it's level, or reasonably so. That will tell you if you have a rear spring problem

Do the rears have the same no. of leaves in em? Any of 'em broken?

How 'bout the lower control arms and bushings? Arms cracked, broke, the pivots broke loose from the arms?

Thanks for the response. Well I did the jacking up of the car and lowering it to normal height. Still issues. The rear springs are brand new from hotchkis. And I have not checked the lower controll arms , they seemed fine , but maybe that's the problem , maybe the bushings are completely done.

Did you buy SS springs? The passenger side will be higher than the drivers side if you have SS springs. I bought two drivers side SS springs when I set mine up.

Yes I'm doing two haha, I kinda figured that it might get me more response and help They are hotchkis 1" drop springs

how rusty is your "t" bar socket at the cross member.

Very likely the rear springs . As example When the right rear corner goes down the left front corner goes up
Let the torsion bars all the way down and measure the rear and you'll know.

Well , the t bar sockets seem fine It looks like they could have been yrepaired a while ago. the rear springs are brand new from hotchkis with new mounts. Is it possible that the suspension is not settled yet or its just setteling weird??

Hey Kim , when I put the new torsion bars in I never losened the lower controll ARM nuts, I just pulled things apart and unscrewed the bolts to lower the suspension so they come out easier. Are you talking about the nuts that hold the lca to the crossmember ???

Thanks

Make sure you have the hexes in the LCA's clocked correctly. Sometimes they can get out of phase and cause what you're describing.

Hey strokerscamp sorry either I'm stupid or slow , but what do you mean about the hexes in the lca clocked correctly ??

Hey strokerscamp sorry either I'm stupid or slow , but what do you mean about the hexes in the lca clocked correctly ??

When you go to install torsion bars, the correct way to do it is with the adjuster bolts backed ALL the way out, the control arms pushed ALL the way down and the torsion bar hexes rotated down with the control arm as far as they will go. The torsion bar hexes move independently of the lower control arms and do not always follow them when you push the control arms all the way down and can get out of phase. It sounds like that's your problem. It's a very common occurance if you're not careful. I've done it several times in the past myself.

Yes I'm doing two haha, I kinda figured that it might get me more response and help They are hotchkis 1" drop springs

HAHAHA good one, stroker scamp sounds like he has you on the right line....

Hey guys , thanks for all the answers and help. I'll double check everything and see where it takes me . And if it don't work out ill just save up and do coilovers and call it a day haha. Thanks again

If you think your torsion bar suspension is "stupid" or you wanna convert to coil overs, just convert to a chevy.... You are working on the best engineered factory suspension period............

Well , the t bar sockets seem fine It looks like they could have been yrepaired a while ago. the rear springs are brand new from hotchkis with new mounts. Is it possible that the suspension is not settled yet or its just setteling weird??

Hey Kim , when I put the new torsion bars in I never losened the lower controll ARM nuts, I just pulled things apart and unscrewed the bolts to lower the suspension so they come out easier. Are you talking about the nuts that hold the lca to the crossmember ???

Thanks

....................Yes i sure am.............kim.................

-
Back