Stupid swaybar question

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
73-76, Does the arch in the center of the bar face up(peek at the top) or down (like a U shape)or does it matter?

360scamp said:
73-76, Does the arch in the center of the bar face up(peek at the top) or down (like a U shape)or does it matter?

Are you talking about a front or rear swaybar?

It looks like mine points down, with more clearance on top of the opening where it goes through the K-member. Different bars (OEM, aftermarket, custom, whatever) might look a little different. But in any case, that is how it should appear when properly installed, WRT the clearance. If there is a bend in the middle that affects that clearance, you would want clearance on top to allow for movement when the suspension decompresses.

I have a swaybar question too. Does anyone make a front swaybar that mounts in the stock position without any drilling or other modifications?

2shelbys, Look up Addco Sway bars in Summit, Jeggs, Ebay, ect. they have a bracket so you can bolt them to your lower shock bolts in the lower controle arms.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

I got the big Addco bar and it fits perfectly into the stock mounting location, through the K-member. Looks stock to the untrained eye. Holes for the bushing mounts should already exist in the K-frame. Only issue is end link connection to the LCA. You would need to use the bolt-on tabs or weld on some better ones if it does not have sway bar tabs on the LCA. Here's how my install looks:

http://66.17.171.114/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Pics/duster_37.jpg
http://66.17.171.114/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Pics/duster_38.jpg

360scamp said:
2shelbys, Look up Addco Sway bars in Summit, Jeggs, Ebay, ect. they have a bracket so you can bolt them to your lower shock bolts in the lower controle arms.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

360scamp,
Do you happen to have a PN for the Addco sway bar kit for non-factory sway bar equipped cars? I looked on Summit and Jegs but only see the bars for factory equipped sway bar cars. I don't have the mounting tabs on my lower control arms, I have a stock sway bar that I bought urethane bushing for and new end links from Just Suspension but then found out I don't have the tabs when I went to mount the bar :cussing: Firm Feel has a kit that but I was looking for something a little cheaper.

Ace said:
I got the big Addco bar and it fits perfectly into the stock mounting location, through the K-member. Looks stock to the untrained eye. Holes for the bushing mounts should already exist in the K-frame. Only issue is end link connection to the LCA. You would need to use the bolt-on tabs or weld on some better ones if it does not have sway bar tabs on the LCA. Here's how my install looks:

http://66.17.171.114/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Pics/duster_37.jpg
http://66.17.171.114/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Pics/duster_38.jpg

Do all the Addco sway bar kits come with the bolt-on tabs for the LCA?
Thanks

I bought Addco's 1 1/8" Front bar for the 73-76 A body (#596) and it came with mounting tabs for the LCAs. I'm going to bolt them on, then once everything is in place, I'll weld them up.

superdart said:
I bought Addco's 1 1/8" Front bar for the 73-76 A body (#596) and it came with mounting tabs for the LCAs. I'm going to bolt them on, then once everything is in place, I'll weld them up.

Awesome that sounds good. Looks like i will be ordering the bar for my 69 tomorrow (Christmas $ burning a hole in my pocket :toothy7: )

Spoke with Addco the kit I need comes with the mounting tabs for the LCA's. The bar for 67-72 A-bodies is #150 incase anyone else is needing the info. I ordered it from Summit for $149.
Joey

I recently bought a set of ADDCO front & rear bars for my Barracuda on ebay for about $180 delivered. Seller was the same as noted above by 360scamp, srcorn. He sells a lot of them, & also sells them individually. My only complaint is that the front was gold & the rear was powder coated black. For the price, it didn't bother me. A lot of places are selling these bars for nearly twice what I paid. Sorry it's too late to help now but maybe it will help somebody else in the future.

:burnout:

from what i see in the pic, and from the 72 charger that i parted that had an addco sway bar , I think the lca bracket they give you is basicly a piece of 2" 3/16 angle 2" long with a couple holes in it, one for the end link and 1 to bolt it to your lca. a pair of brackets like this could be made for under $5 in under an hour with basic tools

I recieved the Addco kit from Summit last week and installed it yesterday. Let me say I am not very impressed with it or the way it fit. Like Chris said the brackets for the LCA's are just strap metal bent 90* and they don't fit on the LCA's flush so it puts stress on the lower shock bolt. Another issue I have is that it only attaches to the k-frame with one bolt on each side. And lastly the end links are at really steep angles with this kit. Over all the kit is pretty cheesy IMO and I will be returning it back to Summit. I should have just spent the money in the first place and gone iwth Firm Feels' kit which cost about $100 more but you can tell it's made for your A-body by Mopar people. Here is the link to their kits: http://www.firmfeel.com/swaybars_a.htm

Great info..I am building up my front end and was having trouble deciding which sway bar to get. Do you happen to know the best upper control arms to use? I need tube style for clearance on my air ride.

-
Back