Subframe connectors out of pipe?

-

DARTDALE

Reaction score
I am thinking about making some subframe connectors out of small pipe.I saw some for sale on line somewhere[I can not find them now].I have access to free pipe at work.
I have 1.5 inch pipe double wall {3/16 inch thick]
I have 1.25 inch pipe single wall {1/9 inch thick}
The ones I saw on line were 2 pipes welded together side by side,box welded on rear,flat plate on front. I am thinking about going with the 1.5 double wall as a single pipe piece instead of welding the 2 smaller ones together [though the 2 welded would be ridiged]
I just dont know.Any of yall ever gone this route?

I used the square Mopar brand ones that bolt up with some slight mods like adding some washers for correct spacing, then welded everything tight.

I still need to run a couple welds where the connectors touch the floor pan.

I have seen the correct fit ones that are laser cut to the exact contour of the car which seem pretty slick, but I think the best way the racers do it is by cutting the floor and tying in nicely to the front and rear crossmembers and welding everything up along the floor pans, but it leaves humps in the floor if I'm not mistaken.

DARTDALE said:
I am thinking about making some subframe connectors out of small pipe.I saw some for sale on line somewhere[I can not find them now].I have access to free pipe at work.
I have 1.5 inch pipe double wall {3/16 inch thick]
I have 1.25 inch pipe single wall {1/9 inch thick}
The ones I saw on line were 2 pipes welded together side by side,box welded on rear,flat plate on front. I am thinking about going with the 1.5 double wall as a single pipe piece instead of welding the 2 smaller ones together [though the 2 welded would be ridiged]
I just dont know.Any of yall ever gone this route?

I would think that It would help a lot but not as much a square and not as much as the two welded together with the plate.I paid about 15 bux for two 5 ft chunks of 2x2x1/8 from a scrap steel yard.you can see them in members restorations if ya care to. good luck with whatever you chose tho.

-
Back