Summit brand cams? advice needed

-

omahamoparguy

Reaction score
trying to pick a cam for my 79 powerwagon with the 318. Pretty much stock but with slightly more compression (~ 9:1) Are the summit cams the same as the Melling cams? Which one would be a good choice for a W100 4x4 short box with stock size tires? I've got a manual trans, NP435.
Also will be using the 360 heads, 587's IIRC.

Summit cams were ground by Crane Cams before they shut there doors.

IDwhat your gear ratio is.

The @ 050 intake duration of 218 is a good cam. I had the Crane equal. Very good cam for a stock engine. It will perform well with added bolt on items.

Crane is back in biz.

I ran the .441" lift Summit cam in a mild 318, engine also had milled 360 heads, edelbrock performer intake, and headers. I was very impressed with the performance, it pulled strong to 5,500 RPM.

trying to pick a cam for my 79 powerwagon with the 318. Pretty much stock but with slightly more compression (~ 9:1) Are the summit cams the same as the Melling cams? Which one would be a good choice for a W100 4x4 short box with stock size tires? I've got a manual trans, NP435.
Also will be using the 360 heads, 587's IIRC.

actually they are now ground by howards cams, using mostly comps grind numbers as wierd as that sounds.

i ran a lunati in a moderate build 318 with 497/501 lift..sounded really mean, pulled good to 5500 even though rated to 6200...you should be able to turn decent rpm with 360 heads..your intake may limit you though depending what you're running, make sure you look at RPM range on both intake and cam...a performer edelbrock will only get you to 5500 where the air gap is made to go to 6.

Look at this one. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K6401/ I know, I know. It's for a big block. They offer one just like it for the small block. It's in their catalog, but not on the site. Crane makes a cam VERY similar in design to that one that will set a mild small block on fire. That summit cam is REAL close.

I ran the .441" lift Summit cam in a mild 318, engine also had milled 360 heads, edelbrock performer intake, and headers. I was very impressed with the performance, it pulled strong to 5,500 RPM.

does the .441 lift summit cam have a small lope in a 318? i'd like to put sumthin like that in my 77 powerwagon. not wanting anything radical, just a decent sounding rv type cam, that i can use with my stock springs.

I have that cam, the summit k6901 in my 360 (magnum heads), which is 8.5:1 at best...very torquey, decent idle at 800 (14 in Hg)...sounds like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiUM23NwK-A"]YouTube - Duster 360 Magnum TTI Headers Idle & Rev[/ame]

To me, it sounds pretty stock. Would sound slightly more manly sounding in a 318.

I have that cam, the summit k6901 in my 360 (magnum heads), which is 8.5:1 at best...very torquey, decent idle at 800 (14 in Hg)...sounds like this:

YouTube - Duster 360 Magnum TTI Headers Idle & Rev

To me, it sounds pretty stock. Would sound slightly more manly sounding in a 318.

slick duster man, thanks for the post. your right it should sound a little tougher in a 318 wit headers, and 4bbl. it's a 318 2 barrel my truck now.

does the .441 lift summit cam have a small lope in a 318? i'd like to put sumthin like that in my 77 powerwagon. not wanting anything radical, just a decent sounding rv type cam, that i can use with my stock springs.

I used stock 340 valve springs, and in my 318 it had a noticeable idle with flowmaster 40 series mufflers.

slick duster man, thanks for the post. your right it should sound a little tougher in a 318 wit headers, and 4bbl. it's a 318 2 barrel my truck now.

Thanks man. Yes, the headers & 4bbl are necessary to make the best of the cam. Make sure you use some stronger valvesprings. The 340 ones would be fine with the LA heads...I had LA heads and E58 360 valve springs and they were ok with this cam too. I have magnum heads and R/T springs now.

-
Back