Summit brand exhaust kits

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i was checking out these exhaust systems from summit for my 71 scamp

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...0+4294908078+115+4294903037&Ntk=KeywordSearch

I was wondering if anyone has used any of the summit systems on their mopars and what their opinions on them are... I was probably going to go with the 3 inch system, but not sure if I am going to go with the one including summit mufflers or the one with no mufflers....they seem to be priced pretty good...what do you guys think?

i know it's not an A-body but fwiw I use a 2.5 inch Summit kit with mufflers on my '68 Coronet. The tailpipes all fit pretty nice but had to modify the front of the system to connect to the Summit headers - apparently the system is designed for Hooker headers. Still came out nicer than I'd have got from a muffler shop for that money.

I was thinking about getting their X pipe kit and fabricating pipes to match it to my Supercomp fenderwell headers.

anybody else ever use the summit kits?

I was thinking about getting their X pipe kit and fabricating pipes to match it to my Supercomp fenderwell headers.

good idea.
i heard that x pipes better synchronize the exhaust flow.

my question is: what do they do to the sound? is it not as loud? a lower tone?

as long as it flows like hell! right fellas?

If you buy the summit kit, plus the X pipe, you might want to look at the Pypes kit that comes with the X pipe already. Roughly the same price and better material.

If you buy the summit kit, plus the X pipe, you might want to look at the Pypes kit that comes with the X pipe already. Roughly the same price and better material.
I can't use any of the complete systems because of my fenderwell headers. None of the kits match up to them.

are those summit turbo mufflers going to hamper sound, or will they deliver a loud deep rich tone? i want the car to be loud, not quiet, so sound in the system is important

i bought the 2.5 inch system from summit for my 69 dart and i also bought dynomax ultra flow mufflers and swapped them . i was so impressed with the quality, the sound and how easy it was to install that i ordered another system for my 76 scamp.i don`t know how the summit mufflers sound but how can you beat the price!!!!!

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-680144&N=700+0&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK-17219&N=700+0&autoview=sku

are those summit turbo mufflers going to hamper sound, or will they deliver a loud deep rich tone? i want the car to be loud, not quiet, so sound in the system is important

I had a set of generic turbo mufflers on my 273 with 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" pipes, no crossover pipe, & dumping just ahead of the rear axle. The sound wasn't really loud, but at idle it had a deep, throbbing tone that vibrated the cars around it. Kind of a WHOOOOOM WHOOOOOM sound. At idle it was very intimidating. Full tailpipes would probably change that some.

Does the Pypes kit bolt right up to the headers or are other pieces necessary?

I think im gonna go with the summit 3 inch pipe kit with no mufflers and put in some flowmaster super 44's...that should be good enough for some serious rumble

The Summit stuff is really good if your tight on cash...they have some really cool products that are priced real well

Don't know if the shipping is more than Summit

but here is one from Jegs

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/751868/10002/-1/10253 $189

Yep, JEG's are our choice over Summit, (even if price were same)

because they use FEDEX, plus they have a much more friendly

& easy-going approach regarding returns & exchanges,

and also because Jeg's gives a very significant % of sales

to cancer research.

Jeg's is a racer & family-owned business, & you can sure tell it!! --- 8)

to cancer research.

Everything sounds great except for the FedEx part. I have had so many problems with FedEx I would rather drive across the country and pick something up than use them. I have ordered from both Summit and Jegs and have been completely saitsfied with both.

to cancer research.

I know this has nothing to do with this thread but I just have to say I have ordered from both alot over the last few yrs. and my last order to Jeg's somehow got forgotten. When it didn't arrive within a week I called to see what was up an the guy only said somehow it got overlooked and they'd send it out the next day. I told him i needed the parts tomorrow and he said they wouldn't ship overnight on their dime even if it was their screw up. If I wanted it faster I had to pay the extra. That was my last order to Jegs and I would have cancelled that one but they were the only one that had the cam I needed.

Also Note just last week I returned an item to Summit that I didn't end up needing. It was 45-50 days since I ordered it and even though their return policy said after 30 days you get charged 10% restock fee they gave me a full refund no questions asked.

I'm not bashing or promoting anybody but that was my experiences with them.

Now on to the thread. A buddy of mine bought the Summit kit for his 68 Cuda and it fit good but he didn't upgrade to better mufflers and wishes he would because the Summit mufflers sound tinny.

I a Jegs exhaust. See my thread in the resto section.

Fit well, easy bolt up, minor tim at the tail pipe at the bumper.

yea summit seems pretty good for delivery times and customer service....I dont know if anyone has ever dealt with JC whitney before, but my dad ordered some seat covers for his 69 Dart and that was over 2 months ago....they just came in yesterday when they told us it shouldnt be longer than 4 weeks...but yes, those summit systems are definatly a good bargain and im probably gonna settle for the 3 inch system with no mufflers and add some flowmasters or these guys here....just saw them on another recent thread here.... www.classicchamberedexhaust.com

FWIW, both Jegs and Summit have a "racer discount" program. I just ordered some (small) parts from Jegs, list price on one was $14.99, my price was $12.89. On the other the list was $49.98, my price was $30.09. The "Header-Back Dual 2-1/2'' Exhaust Kit" kit for my Duster lists for $189.99, my price is $165.18.

I'm guessing that as the prices go up the discounts get better.

how can you become a part of this racer discount program?

-
Back