Summit cam for a 318 LA

-

TrailerParkGinger

Reaction score
IMG_4263.JPG
IMG_3306.JPG
I've been wanting to build my 360 magnum, but my 318 runs too well and would require much less money to make it more fun. I've been looking into a summit cam for my 318, which is original to my 67 Coronet. I know, not an A body, but on FBBO its sacrilege almost, to not have a BB. I put headers, an air gap intake an a holley 600cfm vacuum secondary on the car along with the Jegs electronic ignition kit, it runs pretty good for a mostly stock 318. So I was wondering how much cam could I get away with and not have a dog of a 318, from the Summit catalog that is, something cheap to hold me over until I can build the 360 magnum or stroke it. In the next year or so I will also be buying the EQ heads from IMM complete with rockers and all the gaskets and head bolts etc. I was thinking the K6900 after looking into the subject, but just like belly buttons everyone has a different opinion.When I install the cam I will also replace my valve stem seals, stock umbrella type. I also plan to switch to manual disc brakes in the future so I won't need to worry about Vacuum if that helps you guys.
To Recap:
Stock 318 with supposed factory 9.2:1 CR
AIR GAP intake
Hooker Headers
Stock TC with a 727
Dual 2.5" exhaust
Holley 600cfm Vacuum Secondary 4bbl
2.94 rear gear 8 3/4

I thank everyone in advance for the tips and information.

Nothing wrong with a 318 in a B body :thumbsup:
Show us pics of the rest of the car!

Jeff

Its my baby. Once I get it finished up, I'm really set on a 68 barracuda, they have gorgeous lines. Well they're never finished, so I guess,"good enough."

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4510.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

Most guys @ FBBO are good fellas with good intentions. And they are stuck in having a big block only mind set. They have every answer why you should spend all of your money and take a second mortgage out to rid yourself of the 318 and use a big block.

God forbid you do a 383 or a 400 without stroking it!

Nice Car. I had a '67 500 2dr hrdtp with a 318 also. Hey, them 318's will move a B-body no problem. I've had a couple of B-bodies with 318's in them. But, I agree with your desire, a 360 magnum would be an excellent choice

That Summit cam is a good one. It will give your teen a good sounding idle and some grunt. Nice car !! I like the teen. Just remember to change the valve springs or the cam change will be wasted. Don't worry we won't tell the "B" body guys.

It wouldn't be too radical for my little 318 with its current power brakes would it? This would be the first cam installed I've ever done. I'm a complete novice on cam specs.

And it's cheaper too looks like. This is all a stop gap for you until you put together the magnum anyway.

As everyone here says, it's all about what the intended use of your ride. I think you need to figure what you really want out of it and how long this engine will actually be in the car. If you're really going to do a swap, why do something that will drain your bank account and take away driving pleasure for what seems like it might perform better but is actually less fun to drive.

You're right rustyfish. I'm gonna listen and just go for the 6901. Its going to probably wake it up and make it feel like a new car anyway. Thank you to all of you guys who replied, I really appreciate it. On another note, are summit timing sets decent quality?

Its also payday, so I'll probably order these this weekend :p But tonight I'm putting on ESPO +2 springs. Hopefully it gives me the stance I'm after.

You're right rustyfish. I'm gonna listen and just go for the 6901. Its going to probably wake it up and make it feel like a new car anyway. Thank you to all of you guys who replied, I really appreciate it. On another note, are summit timing sets decent quality?

They are made by Crane, so yes.

I'm a little sceptical. I think it is going to be hard to wake up that b-body having 318 cubes and 2.94 gears by just adding that cam. Once you smash the gas, you'll have lots of time to think about how fun its going to be once it actually starts moving!

I'm a little sceptical. I think it is going to be hard to wake up that b-body having 318 cubes and 2.94 gears by just adding that cam. Once you smash the gas, you'll have lots of time to think about how fun its going to be once it actually starts moving!
I'm going to find a cheap third member or go through dr.diff eventually. At least its not like the 2.56s in my 50 Chevy 3100 lol

Make sure to degree the cam in as per the cam card.

I'm going to find a cheap third member or go through dr.diff eventually. At least its not like the 2.56s in my 50 Chevy 3100 lol
Good thinking.That is a very nice car , by the way. It would be well served with a little more rear gear.

-
Back