summit carburetor

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I think Summit just released these not too long ago. Is it just me or do these look identical to the Holley street avenger series carbs. Maybe these are Holleys just wth a Summit logo on it. Thats a really good price for all the your getting. Eventhough they are new has anyone here used these before? I am really thinking about picking one of these up. What are your thoughts? Thanks

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...rt=SUM-M08600VS&N=700+400304+115&autoview=sku

I think Summit just released these not too long ago. Is it just me or do these look identical to the Holley street avenger series carbs. Maybe these are Holleys just wth a Summit logo on it. Thats a really good price for all the your getting. Eventhough they are new has anyone here used these before? I am really thinking about picking one of these up. What are your thoughts? Thanks

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...rt=SUM-M08600VS&N=700+400304+115&autoview=sku

they do look like holleys, summit is known for just re-badging products as "summit" products. Im sure they have a deal worked out with holley for them. Still doesnt seem like a bad price for what they are. You could always call them, they will usually tell you which company they get that particular part from, they always have for me anyway

These are the discontinued Holley 4010 - 4011 series carbs with one noteable easy to see MOD in where the feul lines hook up to the carb are now down on an angle instead of straight out and level.

These are not Avenger carbs. These carbs are 2 peice like a Carter but use all normal Holley parts except the boosters if they didn't change them.

The Holley 4011 came as a spreadbore in 2 sizes, 650 & 800 while the 4010 is a squarebore carb that also came in 2 sizes, I beileve 600 and 750 for sure.

I had on and it was a little flat on performance but not a bad carb. (It's actually hard to screw up such a basic design.)

If you look at the top the whole thing unbolts. it doesn't have any bowls like a holley and that would mean the jets are probably facing down. kinda like a holley/edelbrock hybrid.

Yes, the top comes off like a Carter carb does and the jets are also like a Carter, face down, but there Holley Jets.
The one thing I remember was there wasn't a bunch of linkages to remove which made that a bit nicer to mess with.

sounds like a good idea i just wonder how easy the other parts are to get hold of like the airhorn gasket and such. good basic performance carb. but with a bit less tunability since i wouldn't think there isn't any type of metering plate right?

It kinda looks like a rehash of the the old Motorcrap carb I had on a Mustang when I was a young-un.

Holley came out with those about 20 years ago. They made them for only 4-5 years and then they disco'd them. Summit must have bought the tools to make them.

i learned my lesson when i bought a summit 4 speed shifter that you get what you pay for

Rumblefish360 has it right. Holley originally started this by taking over the Motorcraft tooling. The vacuum secondary version of the Motorcraft four barrel came on Shelby GT 350s, 289s both D and K code and even 390s. They were an excellent carburetor and were some of the very first to have annular discharge boosters. They were responsive, dependable, gave good mileage and were easy to work on but they were very limited in performance airflow. Holley didn't sell too many of the 4010s. I have a couple just for collector items. Summit has spent a lot of time and money taking this carb to a whole new level with excellent inlets and all the best features of a Holley. They are available in DP form and various sizes and they are very reasonably priced. Also they are very light weight! These are a far cry from the original Motorcraft and a big step up from the Holley. I have plans to purchase 2 of them for one of my BB sheet metal tunnel ram street engine prototypes.
Pat

sounds like a good idea i just wonder how easy the other parts are to get hold of like the airhorn gasket and such. good basic performance carb. but with a bit less tunability since i wouldn't think there isn't any type of metering plate right?

From what I remember about the Holley unit I had, all parts were from the Holley parts bin and easy to get. It use's all the same parts as any other Holley carb except the air horn gasket.

When I had my 4011 / 650 spreadbore, I needed a gasket and picked it up without a problem. You can also purchase a roll of gasket material and make your own.

(I don't know JACK about the MotorCraft carbs)

Holley came out with those about 20 years ago. They made them for only 4-5 years and then they disco'd them. Summit must have bought the tools to make them.

For good reason, they sucked!

I have one hanging from my garage wall, tried on my GTX for a few weeks and spent all that time trying to tune it.

Terrible fuel control, all over the place. I have an O2 gauge on the dash and you could watch it happen.

I have a 4011 on my truck. Works fine (much better than the warped Q-Jet it replaced anyhow).

Holley brought these out during the Colt days. They were similar to Motorcrafts in many ways, but used standard Holley jets, PVs, float needles, secondary springs etc.. They had annular discharge boosters as well. The die-hard Holley faithful just kept using 4150/4160s. About the same time, Edelbrock brought out a revamped AFB and 4010/4011 sales suffered. Holley brought out the Avenger series and quietly phased out the 4010/4011. I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with the design. It was just "too different" for the Holley fans, "too Holley" for the Carter fans, and Motorcraft fans are just weirdos and off-roaders.

Summit has been bringing out their own line of parts for several years now. They have ignition boxes which spec out astonishingly identical to Mallory. Mallory quality? Time will tell.

I have no doubt there a Mallory box.

Yep. Most of your private label parts are built by an existing company and rebranded; I doubt Summit manufactures any of their house brand parts in-house. Some other examples of Summit parts and who makes them:

1. Proportioning valves - Willwood
2. Wideband systems - Innovate, though the gauge is probably sourced elsewhere.
3. Intake manifolds - A variety of sources, including Weiand and Professional Products.

It does seem weird that these carbs don't have a counterpart elsewhere; perhaps they bought a design Holley didn't want to sell under their own name.

It does seem weird that these carbs don't have a counterpart elsewhere; perhaps they bought a design Holley didn't want to sell under their own name.

That is what I think. Poor sales at Holley doomed it and they just figured to give it a whirl. They do well selling rebranded products at a cheaper price. I think they decided to roll the dice on it.

I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with the design.

1) The accel pump shooters are part of the boosters, the only way to enlarge the shooters is to drill them out. Go to far and you have to replace the booster assembly.

2) Wicked lean spots with accel pump- I ended up drilling the shooters AND modifying a 50 cc pump off a double pumper to get working. And this was with a vac secondary carb.

3) very pooor transitions between circuits- I have an O2 gauge and vacuum gauges in the GTX and you could see when moving from one circuit to another while driving (idle/part throttle/power valve actuation/etc) the carb either like to dive off scale or run full rich, no in between.

4) No gaskets in fuel is b.s. the power valve housing up front use to puke fuel all the time.

5) The base where the intake gasket sets is hollow, not a lot of meat there.

Maybe Summit fixed this issues, one would hope so.

-
Back