Wrong wheel size of Summit and / or Jegs wheels

-

Ferry

Reaction score
Vision American Muscle 571 Sport Star II Polished Wheels

After purchasing a set of these wheels I found out that the wheel size is not correct. I think this type of wheel is also sold under the brand "Jegs". The 15x8j with 4.5 bs is really 9.5J and the 15x7J with 4 bs is 8j. Have compared with a set of rally wheels and cop wheels and these are definitely wrong. Fitment under my 69 Dart is terrible. And Summit cant be of any help because i live in the Netherlands.

Before i try to sell these and buy other wheels i would like to know if there are people who have jegs and / or summit wheels and that the dimensions are ok. Thanks!

How are you measuring? The width measurement comes from the area where the tire bead seats and not the overall width of the wheel.

wheel3.jpg

Yes, thats what i did.
I measured them side by side with cop wheels that were 8j. These are 1.5J wider than advertised. The wheel itself even says 8J:realcrazy:

Yes, thats what i did.
I measured them side by side with cop wheels that were 8j. These are 1.5J wider than advertised. The wheel itself even says 8J:realcrazy:
I think stock cop car wheels are 15x7

Vision American Muscle 571 Sport Star II Polished Wheels

After purchasing a set of these wheels I found out that the wheel size is not correct. I think this type of wheel is also sold under the brand "Jegs". The 15x8j with 4.5 bs is really 9.5J and the 15x7J with 4 bs is 8j. Have compared with a set of rally wheels and cop wheels and these are definitely wrong. Fitment under my 69 Dart is terrible. And Summit cant be of any help because i live in the Netherlands.

Before i try to sell these and buy other wheels i would like to know if there are people who have jegs and / or summit wheels and that the dimensions are ok. Thanks!
If you are trying to fit 8" wide wheels on the Dart in your avatar they probably won't work without some spring moving and/or fender lip trimming. I have 15x7's 4.25 backspace on my Swinger and one side is so close I can't stick my finger between the wheel opening lip and the tire sidewall.

20160520_184340.jpg

817.jpg

If you are trying to fit 8" wide wheels on the Dart in your avatar they probably won't work without some spring moving and/or fender lip trimming. I have 15x7's 4.25 backspace on my Swinger and one side is so close I can't stick my finger between the wheel opening lip and the tire sidewall.

View attachment 1715543757

View attachment 1715543758

The wheels in my avatar are the 14x8j wheels with 3.5backspace. These don't fit at all ... only with hijackers. I replaced the axles to 5x4.5 and ordered the summit wheels after a lot of measuring.

The wheels in my avatar are the 14x8j wheels with 3.5backspace. These don't fit at all ... only with hijackers. I replaced the axles to 5x4.5 and ordered the summit wheels after a lot of measuring.
Yes, a 8" wide with only 3.5 B/S wouldn't fit. (not enough backspace) Too much wheel on the outside.

For me also 255 60 15. But clearance differences between radials and modern tires is big in my case. The radials have a lot more bulging...It seems that the modern tires are more square and give a little bit more clearance.

I have 235/60/15 on the rear of my swinger with stock 15x7 cop rims. These barely fit in the wheel house. I had to roll the opening lip on the driver side a little to get clearance.
If I could start over I would mini-tub it and move the springs inboard. Swingers are very limited in tire space.

Would the 15x7J fit the rear position? If so, maybe you could just get two 15x6J for the front. Then you would only have to buy two and sell two.

If you received them recently enough I'd complain, send pics etc. They might want to fix their error to avoid the bad review on yelp for example. If they've been on the shelf for awhile I would not hold out any hope but it's worth a try. I say this because I had a set of five spoke alcoa star wheels on my dually. One cracked and started leaking air. Contacted Alcoa for recommended repair instructions and they said my wheels had been recalled (due to cracking) but that the recall ended ten years prior. Amazingly, they gave me a set on new wheels in exchange for my old ones, 10 years after the recall had ended. I was nothing but impressed. So it's worth the effort to try as you never know.

Would the 15x7J fit the rear position? If so, maybe you could just get two 15x6J for the front. Then you would only have to buy two and sell two.

No they don't. I tried yesterday. It's a 15x7 with 4 inch backspace....its rubbing even more. A lot of space left between the leafspring and wheel.

If you received them recently enough I'd complain, send pics etc. They might want to fix their error to avoid the bad review on yelp for example. If they've been on the shelf for awhile I would not hold out any hope but it's worth a try. I say this because I had a set of five spoke alcoa star wheels on my dually. One cracked and started leaking air. Contacted Alcoa for recommended repair instructions and they said my wheels had been recalled (due to cracking) but that the recall ended ten years prior. Amazingly, they gave me a set on new wheels in exchange for my old ones, 10 years after the recall had ended. I was nothing but impressed. So it's worth the effort to try as you never know.

Thats good to hear! Yes, i made my complain, but they said to send the wheels back for warranty. Impossible...shipping costs will be expensive.

I think i will order the leaf spring relocation set from dr diff and get some wheels with 5.5 inch backspace. Better too much backspace so i can fill up with a little spacer. Really like to try some good tires like the Mt street radial or Nitto's. The 416 is useless at this point...:)

I guess I don't fully comprehend. If you ordered one thing and got another they ought to pay return freight. If you ordered an item and received exactly that item their position makes more sense.

-
Back