Summit exhaust systems, are they decent?

-

74scamp360

Reaction score
I have been searching through summit's catalog and see that they make a 2.5" and 3" exhaust system for A bodys and i was wondering if these are a decent exhaust system? Do they sound good? Are they good quality? I have really wanted to buy a complete exhaust system instead of piecing together different parts. Do you guys know of any other companies that make complete exhaust systems for A bodies? Thanks for you opinions i don't wanna buy the wrong thing.

tti makes a kit.so does pypes performance.the summit kits are made by heart throb.they are decent for the price.the tubing is thick and all mandrel bent.ive never put one on a mopar though,just on my a friends mustang and my 4x4.the mufflers sound like crap ,if you buy a summit kit,get it without mufflers.the nicest kit ive seen is the tti.its also one of the most expensive,but you get what you pay for in this case.

Got the 2.5" summit kit on one of my cars. Sounds good, was a bit of a pain to install because I have tti headers and not Hooker comps. Not the kits problem there.

I'd by them again.

74Scamp: There was a great exhaust guy here in town by the name of John Cherrey. I think he lives in Palmerston and now works in Elmira. I don't have any current contact info for him, but you could try PM'ing member lenweiler http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/member.php?u=732 . His son Zach used to maintain John's website. Quality work, fast, and well priced! Shipping Summit's exhaust up here might cost a good chunk of change.

jd340 thanks a lot that's kinda what i'm looking for, plus i like to give the money to smaller businesses who do it themselves instead of these big million dollar companies. I think i'll try to cantact him.

TTI looks good but i'd be paying through the nose just to get it here let alone the actual price of the system. Thanks for the tip though I had overlooked them.

I used a Jegs 2.5" kit on my old Dart and wouldn't hesitate to use the Jegs/Summit exhaust again. I didn't use the cheap clamps that come with the kit though, I welded my exhaust instead.

I used their 3" kit on my Barracuda but my exhaust guy said he still had to do a lot of tweaking to get it to fit well. I have TTI headers too, not Hooker so I`m sure that played a part. The mufflers (if they can be referred to as such) are LOUD. I ended up using resonators in combination with their two-pass turbo mufflers to make the car sound good without being obnoxious.

put a jegs kit on a 72 demon with 4 speed. was a kinda a pain, had to really beat the pipe in to clear the shifter linkage.

If you can't touch base with Len, I can get you the number to Cherrey Bus Lines here in town. Obviously, they're family of John's, and they will have a phone number for him. He's a great guy. You won't be dissapointed.

I used their 3" kit on my Barracuda but my exhaust guy said he still had to do a lot of tweaking to get it to fit well. I have TTI headers too, not Hooker so I`m sure that played a part. The mufflers (if they can be referred to as such) are LOUD. I ended up using resonators in combination with their two-pass turbo mufflers to make the car sound good without being obnoxious.

I put the 3" system on my Duster, and I did have the Hooker Comps' Lots of tweeking and extra bending to get it to fit, and it is loud! However, My 1/4 mile time is the same now corked or uncorked, so the system does flow well.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The 2.5" kit fit well on my '74 Duster, I'm actually running manifolds and split off the y-pipe.

My only experience with Summit's house brand exhaust is GT fox Mustang, but it has been a very positive one. Very high quality mandrel bend pipes and high quality mufflers from a big industry supplier. Hangers could use a little upgrading, but there was really nothing wrong with what was supplied.

Fact is if I had ever taken the time within a couple of days of my install (I put it on in an afternoon with the car on a couple of jack stands in a borrowed garage in a city far, far away from home) to eliminate the rattles by a little tweeking of the joints and hangers, I wouldn't be the only one that doesn't hear them anymore.

As an aside, it truly is just about the best sounding exhaust on anything I ever owned (and I've owned more than a few cars over the years).

just put one of summit's 2 1/2" exhaust systems on my 73 Duster today, everything fix just right, took about 1 1/2 hours to install, and that was me laying on the ground doing them.

what about borla, or flowmaster exhaust system are they any good?

I have the 2.5" system on my Baracuda. I also installed the Summit x-pipe. From the mufflers back it fit well. Because I was also installing the x-pipe from the muffler forward I did a fair mount of cutting and fitting.

This system replaced a compression bent system with a home made x and Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flo mufflers. The system is significantly quieter than the old and the Flowmasters weren't bad. The sound is deeper and smoother on the Summit system and at cruise it is quiet.

For a bit more than $200 this system is a screaming deal.

This is the 3" Summit system on my Demon. 440 with pro part headers, so it had to be tweaked cut and welded. Had to shorten the tail pipe 1 1/2" where the muffler connected, so that the mufflers would fit up in and the tail pipes wouldn't hit the rear.
Link to the thread
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=73635

And the sound bite. It is loud, you can't tell how loud it is on the clip.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKpTqy9bKAc"]YouTube- Demon with new 3" exhaust[/ame]

I installed the Summit 2 1/2" system on a '65 Valiant 318/904/spit fire combination. Installation was no fun on the passenger side from the muffler back. The whole kit was a cut and paste deal since I had to buy the kit for a '67 up car and adapt to the early car. I would probably not do it again on an early A car just due to having to cut and fit the kit. I think I would be money ahead just buying some J bends and 3 sticks of pipe plus being able to pick your own favorite mufflers. I would like to do the kit on a '67-up car just to see if fitment is "better" and will likely use the 3" kit on my '73 Road Runner down the road. I have not lit the match on it yet but it will have to sound way better than the 2" system I replaced.
Bob

I put the 2-1/2" kit on my 440 dart and I think it sounds fantastic. Not TOO loud, but really has a nice tone to it. Hell, for $200 how can ya beat it??

George

-
Back