Summit headers and "half dummy" zoomie pipes

-

Hyperballsmcgee

Reaction score
Gettin' summit headers for my '74 scamp. yeah i know go ahead and rag on me about how much of a b*tch they are to install, but hey, im broke and they're better then my super rusty, deeply pitted, ugly, restrictive manifolds. as for the rest of the exhaust "system" (term used loosely) 'll be using whats already on the car which is 3 inch straightpipes 45'd out in front of the rear tires... unless... i've always had a soft spot for zoomies, y'know the kind like Doc Stinger has on his alcohol hemi powered 66 Coronet. buddy of mine was gonna make some for me in his fab shop but quoted me at over $1,000 for bare steel.

so i formulate this evil mastermind plan. have 4 tubes the same size as the header primaries welded to a larger tube that bolts to the collecter on the headers, these tubes would stick out from under the fenders just like those sweet alcohol and funny car headers and i'd be the coolest cat in town.

granted there'd be some weird bends involved, but like i said i got a buddy with a fab shop with pipe bender and this would cost way less than the true zoomies.

all that said i guess what im asking here is we... what do you think? looks, sound, etc. thoughts, whatever, thanks for reading and for your inout, should you give your 2 cents!

they'll be loud as all hell unless you can find a small muffler to go between the headers and "zoomies"

it's a street car that's already loud as hell but I don't drive it a lot and cops don't bother me. right now it's got 3 inch straight pipes coming out the sides, before that it was 2.25 inch pipes dumped with turn downs right on the sides of the transmission pan. I've sat at red lights next to police officers and not only NOT gotten pulled over, I've even gotten compliments from some of them!

so basically what I'm getting at is I know they'll be loud and that's how I like it. I actually had a brand new set of mufflers on it but I took them off. guess I just like hearing how the motor itself sounds rather than shape an dampen it with all these fancy muffler designs.

Let me get this straight. You want to build $1000 zoomie pipes that hook to $100 Summit headers to drive your 74 Scamp on the street?!?! It's your car and do what you want to it, the only thing I ask is that you send me some of what you've been smokin and post some pics when you get the project done!

If he's your buddy, he should do it for free.
Or let you use the equipment and DIY.
Otherwise he's just an acquaintance.
:worthles:

I did this very thing back in the late 70's (when you could still buy Zoomies from JCWhitney catalog). They came with or without mufflers, and being a 17 year old kid, I bought them without. We had to do quite a bit of cutting, but we got them on the car (a '76 Camaro RS) and it was insanely loud. Looked cool as hell, but just nearly undriveable due to the noise.

My solution was to use slip in baffles made for motorcycle pipes. They come in many different styles, but I ended up using some that came with fiberglass mat wrapped around them. They slip in the end of the pipe, and are secured with a sheet metal screw on the bottom side of the pipe. Still damn loud, but not nearly as obnoxious as wide open.

Good luck on your project, post pics and video!

Well IMO you should buy some dumps for the zoomies and run pipes with mufflers out the back. That way you could have your cake and eat it too with just a push of a button.

nah Brian, he wanted $1000 for true individual zoomies, I haven't talked with him about the "dummy" pipes, if you will. I say half dummy because they are not true zoomie pipes, but they are still a functioning exhaust peice. think of it as a quad exit exhaust tip in a way. another advantage to doing it this way instead of the true zoomies is they'll be bolted to the collectors so if I want to run mufflers I can just put a normal, muffled exhaust system on.

True functioning Zoomies might be worth the $1000 then. But I'm sure I could find something better to spend that kind of money on. I'll have about $1000 in my exhaust and my brother thinks I'm crazy, so don't think anything about it.

I think I'm being misunderstood. I WON'T be spending a grand. I'll be spending $130 give or take for the summit cheapo headers. then having four pipes welded on the side of a header extension and capping the big open end of it so it LOOKS like zoomies, and they'll even have exhaust coming out of them. think of it like 4 into 1 back into 4. I'm modeling it after the fender exit headers you see on funny car and alcohol cars.

Put some sort of exhaust under it & enjoy the car. I think it's a bad idea for any sort of street car. Just trying to have pipes come out behind the front wheels is going to be a mess, then you risk crushing them on the first pothole, speed bump or parking lot entrance.

So are you going from the 3"collector transitioning into a 4 way splitter to 4 individual pipes?

Cause it'll look cool and sound sweet but the collector having a diversion splitter close to it will really kill flow and scavenging. It will have reversion waves reflecting back up the collector towards the engine.
Best to have 3" gently curved then ovaled from your collector pointing out from under the car and up at a 30 degree angle. Then when you floor it you can see flames launching onto civics as you pass them.

as far as I know for any car driven on the street, the exhaust has to exit behind the passenger compartment

If I recall the Street Zoomies from the 70's/80's exited in front of the rear wheels, not behind the front wheels. Wow you obviously don't live in communist Kalifornia...

Had a buddy in high school with a Corvair and he wanted side pipes. So he bought some flex pipe and ran it from the rear engine up the rocker of the car with a turnout right behind the front wheel just like you want to do. Nearly killed us from exhaust fumes. Cops made him take them off. LOL. This is a bad idea on so many levels. People will appreciate your car more with tasteful modifications rather than goofball ideas.....

Here's something very similar to what we used back in the day -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAD-MAX-ZOOMIE-ZOOMIES-HEADERS-EXHAUST-PIPES-VAN-HOT-ROD-RAT-ROD-FORD-CHEVY-/271331962177

$_57.JPG

-
Back