66' Barracuda and 273 with headers

-
So I decided on having the 273 for my 66 Barracuda re-worked at a good machine shop where money flows like water just to get them to talk to you. LOL!
Honestly, Larry's Auto Machine in Groton, CT is a amazing shop for custom machine work on the East Coast. Gary the owner has been racing Mopars since we were kids.

They want me to use headers in my prized beauty. UGH! let the opinions fly here.
So I said "SURE." why not. I'm down to 2 headers in my research. I've read all the posts in the search bucket. I'm down to the Doug's 1-5/8" DGHD450 just over $1k
and the TTI 1-5/8" step headers TTI 636A273-C5 at just over $1000

I've had both brands in 67-76 A bodies in the past and very happy with both.
This 273 needs some breathing over the stock iron straws. I have a mini starter already.
I have a TTI "X" 2.5" exhaust already with FI tech fuel injection.

I like the idea of the Doug's with 1-5/8" tubes the whole way. This 273 will not be pushing a lot of flow (small CI) so scavenging exhaust makes sense. But I'm told you need manual steering only.

The TTI are stepped headers 1-5/8 to 1-3/4" a tad bit bigger and supposedly works with PS and my 904 with center console shifter. They are supposed to be above the center link position. All pluses.

WHO HERE: has a 273 early A with 904 trans and either header?
I need to chat with you if possible about your choice. Waiting 6-8 weeks or more for headers at over $1000 per set is too much for me to make a "trial by error" judgement call after the fact.
Thank you,
Joe

on my 64 Dart project I tried both the Dougs and TTI. I was going to run a 4speed. The TTIs were too tight around the Zbar where I couldn’t fit it in. I was running 10.5 clutch.if I had stuck with the stock 9.5 clutch there probably been more room. The Dougs were a little better. I ended up finding a set of restore Cyclone 1 7/8” fenderwells.

Status update:
So I ordered Doug’s D450 ceramic coated on Friday and was told 6-8 week wait. Bummer but I get it.
Here are a few photos of the engine. I got a few things wrong with original thoughts of the work being done at Larry’s machine shop on Groton, CT. Here is what was done so far to the engine.
Custom pistons- rings are grouped closer together and ring tension is 18lbs vs factory 27lbs.
Piston skirts were shortend- pistons are forged. 11.0-1 then valve notches added.
Block was squared up to Insain measures before .040” bore was done.
Rotating assembly was lightened and crank balanced - more weight was removed from crank due to pistons are so light.
Heads are next but not completed- waiting on mechanical cam to arrive to set valve spring pressures. Those are the closed chamber early 273 heads - bowls polished, ports cleaned up and new valves seats viton seals...

Are you going to run a windage tray?

Are you going to run a windage tray?
Machine shop said the issue with wind age trays down below on a high rev engine is they seem to collect excessive oil on top and the counter weights drag in the oil.
I will however run a windage tray under the intake to keep hot oil off the bottom of the intake. Like the one in the picture on a 340 I’m running in another car.
F5498197-B267-4540-8A6C-60FF3C82B24B.jpeg

In an earlier post, you mentioned custom head gaskets. Can you share who they are being made by? My 273 is being machined right now, and I am using 302 heads on mine. My builder and I were discussing the problems with using head gaskets designed for open chamber heads, and having a one size fits all fire ring. If they haven't made yours yet, maybe they will make 4 of them cheaper than 2 at a time....lol.
Cosmetic I believe and they are already done.

Machine shop said the issue with wind age trays down below on a high rev engine is they seem to collect excessive oil on top and the counter weights drag in the oil.
I will however run a windage tray under the intake to keep hot oil off the bottom of the intake. Like the one in the picture on a 340 I’m running in another car. View attachment 1715728650

Never had that problem on mine. The Racing manual does say to open up the slots on the windage tray past maybe 7,000 rpm. Anyway it's your motor and you have considered it. Everything I build has a windage tray. Even the 170 /6.

I went with Sanderson Header DD8s (About Sanderson Headers) on my 66 Barracuda with a 273, they are block huggers. I am very happy with them and they are now on my 408. TTI also has block huggers that have a little larger tubes - these would not work for my application without modification. And Sanderson is somewhat local to me

Both options give you better flow and reduce some weight from the car, stock manifolds are about 50 pounds and the sanderson's are 18 pounds

Good luck and let the fish roar
I also went with the Sanderson DD8's on my 66 Barracuda with a 360, manual steering and column shift. I was very pleased with how they fit. Had to do little banging on the passenger fenderwell and put a small divot on one tube on the drivers side to clear the steering coupler. Other than that, they fit great, look great and weren't too expensive.

... The only thing I've seen about them that I don't like, and it may be unfounded fears....is a few of the tubes are flanged in the middle, and will have gaskets in them. I'd say they will probably be fine and I'm just overly paranoid!....
You will jump for joy once you see what those flanged connectors allow you to do. No issues. I don't know why someone doesn't make a header that has the isolated #1 tube go straight down and under the LCA and then back to tie into a slip fit collector. Equal length is nothing. Fitment is everything! The 3-5-7 can coexist in the space offered and the design that has the #3 fly over the #5 and double back before the #7 (common in one piece 67 headers) are prime candidates for a #1 tube cut and fit mod. Modern headers already dip under the suspension level.

I also went with the Sanderson DD8's on my 66 Barracuda with a 360, manual steering and column shift. I was very pleased with how they fit. Had to do little banging on the passenger fenderwell and put a small divot on one tube on the drivers side to clear the steering coupler. Other than that, they fit great, look great and weren't too expensive.

How low do they hang under the car?

-
Back