Summit headers

-

doopdoop67

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi guys I bought the summit headers and I’m wondering if anyone has put them on a 67 dart with a 318. I’ve tried all kinds of stuff to get these on and I’ve had no luck. Any advice?

cant put em on with the engine in, I had to pull the engine when i did the headers in my 1969 dart

Man I wish I knew that a few months ago. Makes sense
some people say they did it without but its honestly easier i think to just pick the engine up bolt em on and fish it back in, or even easier would be pop the engine out set the headers inside your fender will and then lower the engine and bolt them on that way, that will save you having to pull radiator and such

some people say they did it without but its honestly easier i think to just pick the engine up bolt em on and fish it back in, or even easier would be pop the engine out set the headers inside your fender will and then lower the engine and bolt them on that way, that will save you having to pull radiator and such
I gave up on it lol, I’m just leaving the stock ones for now

I just put tti’s on my car. 4speed too. Fit right in. Tti’s go in from the bottom. Not sure about Summit

Insert from below but you gotta get the car up quite high, like 3 ft. A bit of a pain, but doable. Disconnect steering arm, drop oil pan.... some folks loosen a motor mount to gain some space. It takes some serious finagaling.

Be well,
Pat

To install the headers from underneath the car, purchase the tallest jack stand you can find. A engine crane is the next thing you’ll need to raise or tilt the engine to the side.

Disconnect the battery in full.
After all the stock exhaust is removed....
Remove the starter, disconnect the front end steering linkages on the driver side.
Loosen drivers engine mount.
Use engine crane to lift and tilt the engine
Install header, finger tighten some bolts
Lower engine and tighten engine mount
Re-Install front linkage later

Passenger side

Remove oil filter
Use crane to lift and tilt the engine
Install the header
Finger tighten some bolts

Re-connect the from steering linkages
Reconnect starter
Tighten both engine mounts
Lower car to the ground
Finish installing the header bolts

Fab up exhaust or purchase it as a kit from summit. I suggest the 2-1/2 tube kit.

Also, this project is made a good bit easier with a buddy who has hopefully been there and done this as well as a BFH. (Big Freakin Hammer) For possible header tube denting for clearance. (Best done out of the car and on the floor.) The bigger the hammer, the easier it will be. Don’t be shy when you smack the tube.

To install the headers from underneath the car, purchase the tallest jack stand you can find. A engine crane is the next thing you’ll need to raise or tilt the engine to the side.

Disconnect the battery in full.
After all the stock exhaust is removed....
Remove the starter, disconnect the front end steering linkages on the driver side.
Loosen drivers engine mount.
Use engine crane to lift and tilt the engine
Install header, finger tighten some bolts
Lower engine and tighten engine mount
Re-Install front linkage later

Passenger side

Remove oil filter
Use crane to lift and tilt the engine
Install the header
Finger tighten some bolts

Re-connect the from steering linkages
Reconnect starter
Tighten both engine mounts
Lower car to the ground
Finish installing the header bolts

Fab up exhaust or purchase it as a kit from summit. I suggest the 2-1/2 tube kit.

Also, this project is made a good bit easier with a buddy who has hopefully been there and done this as well as a BFH. (Big Freakin Hammer) For possible header tube denting for clearance. (Best done out of the car and on the floor.) The bigger the hammer, the easier it will be. Don’t be shy when you smack the tube.

This!
Except i seem to remember from the last time i did that style header, doing the passanger side first and driver side second because the engine wont like to tilt with the driver side header installed because it would hit the steeringbox.
I know many thinks these headers are terrible to install but i cant remember them being that hard to install once i figured out the right way to do it,and got tall enough jackstands to give the header #1 tube enough angle upwards before the collector hits the ground.

I just put my headers on a A body 1972 Demon the drivers side went in first with both motor mounts loose(bolts off motor lift) lifted the motor put drivers side on bolts finger tight (s.s. Stud kit). Passenger side had to remove torsion bar to get it in but all in all not to diffacult then tightened up bolts then put a strap on the bottom of headers to put torsion bar back in place. When done the clearance was fine but have not put the Z bar in or starter so on it goes love headers Such a pain in the a$$

Last edited:
So it would benefit me to not reassemble my steering and torsion bars untill i get the headers and engine in? The suspension amd steering system is out of it now im redoing everything.

If it is that way now, then I’d do it tht way if it isn’t going to cause you an issue elsewhere.

put the steering in I had a pain getting mine back in after removing it to install the headers maybe leave the t bs off but with the headers i have got the 90 degree oil filter to go right in working on minni starter from one of the other threads 2000 dakota truck with the 5.2

-
Back