summit headers

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
i was gonna order some headers for my scamp. i looked on summit and there are summit ones for like 100 bucks and hedmans and hookers for like 150. i was gonna go hedman cuz they supposedly dont hang as low but would summit be ok? http://www.summitracing.com/search/.../Make/DODGE/Model/DART/Year/1975/?Ns=Rank|Asc

i was also thinking about some leaf springs as mine sag to much. they offer mopar perf ones for 109 a piece. i think those would be the ones with one side higher for traction? if so is it really noticeable? or could i order 2 right side ones? http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=dcc-4120864&dds=1 http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=dcc-4120863&dds=1

there is a 10% off coupon on here that i was gonna use so thats why i was thinking stay summit but who knows lol. one last q if i want to relocate the springs what all do i need? they have a kit for it with front hangers, shackles, rear shackle mounts, and spring mounting pads. couldnt i just buy some pads to put on the diff and build the rest except shackles which i could reuse? thanks tyler

seems to me all the cheap headers are built the same now, pay attention to the collector size, primary tube size, and if the collector is included or not

those look pretty cool. didnt know summit had those..i am also in the market for cheap "run 'em for now" headers for my 318 68 cuda. the hedmans in it now are smashed and all beat up, rusted crap...

the picture looks like it includes the collectors. i was gonna run dual 2 1/2 pipe out the back with an x pipe

I had Hedmans on my 69 and they hung low, I'd say go for the Summit ones... Also, if you do get them, let us know how they fit.

Do you have power steering? I"d be real interested to see if you have to dent the header tube a lot to make that fit. (had to on Hedmans as well as the set I bought from Mopar)

ok i think i will after i hear some more about the springs. i have power steering for now. i want to go manual before i rebuild the front end

Hmmm, thats not the "typical" small block header, instructions say nothing of removing the steering linkage!

all 67 and later a body headers need the steering linkage removed to install them as the linkage goes thru the drivers side header...unless you have some rare early doug's headers maybe some other off brand?

i have the summits.. there kool for headers on the cheap.. im saving up for TTI or super comps

I think toby has the summitt's on his dart ,havent heard any complaints about em

Yes you have to run these headers through the steering linkage.... but heres some advice.

spend the extra 50 bucks and get the Hedmans.

I bought the summit headers for my duster, had a header leak within 1500 miles. Welded it up and developed another header leak on a different tube....they are not great quality, flange on the other side wasnt even perfect when it was new.

hedmans are alot better quality. Id highly recommend to go with those.

doesn't matter wich set you buy, they are all going to hang low.

thanson and burntorange, are you running power steering or manual steering?

my hedmans hang low! and i had to dent the hell out of them in a couple of places to get them to fit with power steering (the coupler was actually the problem) and the z-bar for the stickshift...next set of headers i buy are gonna be hooker super comps, but if i was you id stay away from the hedmans...they also require special header bolts with a reduced hex head...dont know much about the summit ones, but even if they have the same problems as the hedmans, save yourself the 50 bucks and buy the summit ones...the hedmans should be called hedache headers

Don't buy Flowtech, they hit the p/s coupler and i had to dent it in 3/4'' as well as at the torsion bars and the p/s box 1/2''. This is all on a '69 Valiant 2 door with a stock 318. Do yourself a favour and save up for some tti's or Doug's.
Just my 2 cents.

i got the summits lol. its all i can afford for now. i will let you all know how they work. they will go on for now with power steering and z bar lol. i forgot about the z bar i might have to go with a hyd clutch set up lol.

for the steering what all is different between power steering and manual if i was to order a front end rebuild from pst?

all 67 and later a body headers need the steering linkage removed to install them as the linkage goes thru the drivers side header...unless you have some rare early doug's headers maybe some other off brand?

Even the TTI's?

I bought the Headmans and didn't have to dent a thing. I have power steering too.

Like mentioned though, taking off the steering linkage is a PITA! So, just take a deep breath and be prepared before you start.

i was gonna order some headers for my scamp. i looked on summit and there are summit ones for like 100 bucks and hedmans and hookers for like 150. i was gonna go hedman cuz they supposedly dont hang as low but would summit be ok? http://www.summitracing.com/search/.../Make/DODGE/Model/DART/Year/1975/?Ns=Rank|Asc

i was also thinking about some leaf springs as mine sag to much. they offer mopar perf ones for 109 a piece. i think those would be the ones with one side higher for traction? if so is it really noticeable? or could i order 2 right side ones? http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=dcc-4120864&dds=1 http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=dcc-4120863&dds=1

there is a 10% off coupon on here that i was gonna use so thats why i was thinking stay summit but who knows lol. one last q if i want to relocate the springs what all do i need? they have a kit for it with front hangers, shackles, rear shackle mounts, and spring mounting pads. couldnt i just buy some pads to put on the diff and build the rest except shackles which i could reuse? thanks tyler

the cheap summit,hooker,headman,flow tech.... are all the same hang low garbage.

I bought the Headmans and didn't have to dent a thing. I have power steering too.

Like mentioned though, taking off the steering linkage is a PITA! So, just take a deep breath and be prepared before you start.

when you say the linkage i will be putting a new column in so is it that linkage? or like pitman arm type stuff?

I'd try to repaint them with high temp paint first too.
I sandblasted mine, and then repainted them. They shouldn't rust so quickly that way.
When I received mine from Summit, they were all scratched up anyway.
when I called they even told me the paint that it comes on it isn't considered "permanent" anyway.

-
Back