Summit Racing seats?

-
I opted for the more expensive version that procar makes. They are ok on short rides around town but I will say I wouldn't buy them again

I just went through the same thing. I was going to buy the Summit racing seats for my 66 Valiant, then was going to buy the procar seats then I remembered I put them in a car back in the early 80s and remembered how hard they were. So I went to a local scrap yard and purchased a set of 2003 Tiburon buckets and I'm glad I did. They are really nice and comfortable. They are not in yet because we are fabricating the mounts, but I dry fitted them and they look great in the car. The good thing is they were $75 for both seats in perfect condition. Saved a lot of cash going this way and I'll be able to drive more than an hour without hurting my ***, back and so on. This is what they look like, but mine are black and nicer than these.
IMG_0654.JPG

Last edited:
I have them in my 65 dart......actually only one. It is pretty comfy, and more importantly very light weight.

I'm running a pair of Mitsu Evo IX MR Recaros in my '64 Dart. I absolutely love them! They are super comfy, yet still very supportive!

image.jpg

They are nice seats vntned. Another option is Dakota seats. I have a 2002 Dakota and the seats are really nice too. They're really is a lot of seats out there in scrap yards to choose from. I walked the yard for over an hour before picking the Tiburon seats that look very close to your seats. Pretty happy with them.

Anyone have any pics of summit racing seats in their A body or duster

Yup. For the money, I like them. They're firm but don't bother me. The trick with seats from Summit is getting a pair that aren't damaged during shipping. They're not packed well. If they do get damaged, Summit just sends you another.

Interior02sm.jpg
Interior03.jpg
Picture 117.jpg

Yup. For the money, I like them. They're firm but don't bother me. The trick with seats from Summit is getting a pair that aren't damaged during shipping. They're not packed well. If they do get damaged, Summit just sends you another.

View attachment 1714990862 View attachment 1714990863 View attachment 1714990864
What mounting brackets did you use for them? I bought a Duster and the summit seats were in the car with just the sliders installed. No mounting brackets for the floor.

I just went through the same thing. I was going to buy the Summit racing seats for my 66 Valiant, then was going to buy the procar seats then I remembered I put them in a car back in the early 80s and remembered how hard they were. So I went to a local scrap yard and purchased a set of 2003 Tiburon buckets and I'm glad I did. They are really nice and comfortable. They are not in yet because we are fabricating the mounts, but I dry fitted them and they look great in the car. The good thing is they were $75 for both seats in perfect condition. Saved a lot of cash going this way and I'll be able to drive more than an hour without hurting my ***, back and so on. This is what they look like, but mine are black and nicer than these.
View attachment 1714990613
good move, the racing seats flat suck.

I have a set of the Summit seats in my Duster. They're firm, but not at all uncomfortable. The bolsters are really nice when you start throwing the car around in the corners more, the stock buckets don't do jack to keep you in place. For the price they're pretty hard to beat, I really like them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1159-2

I used summit's kit for brackets, although the kit pretty much just amounts to a couple pieces of aluminum angle that bolts to the seat tracks. They do work with the original bucket seat mounting holes though. Only complaint with the Summit brackets is they sit the seats up a little high. Next time the seats come out of my Duster I'll probably trim them down a bit to save some headroom, but it's not a problem for me or I'd have done it already.

Here are the brackets. The lowest setting I think says they're 2.25" tall, I think that could be knocked down to 1.75" with some trimming before you had any interference issues.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1150/overview/

http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv513%2FDark04%2F74%2520Duster%2FIMG_5176_zps782af97e.jpg

img_5535_zps7c66e9f9-jpg.jpg

What mounting brackets did you use for them? I bought a Duster and the summit seats were in the car with just the sliders installed. No mounting brackets for the floor.

I fabbed some brakcts that utilized the factory bucket seat holes in the floor. The brackets bolt to the sliders.

seatbracketmaterialsimg_01.jpg
leftseatbracketimg_01.jpg
finishedbracketsimg_01.jpg
bracketonsliderdetailimg_01.jpg

bracketsonslidersimg_01.jpg

I fabbed some brakcts that utilized the factory bucket seat holes in the floor. The brackets bolt to the sliders.

View attachment 1715068577
leftseatbracketimg_01.jpg
View attachment 1715068578 View attachment 1715068579
View attachment 1715068580

Nice!

Yeah that's all you need to do. I bought the Summit brackets because I didn't feel like messing with it at the time, I was in a bit of a hurry and I hadn't taken a good look at how everything would line up on the floor or how the height would work out before I bought them. The summit brackets turned out to be more generic than I thought they would be though, I probably would have fabbed something if I'd known that in advance. But they do work. The next time my seats are out I'll be fixing some things and probably just welding them up, the bracket height doesn't need to be adjustable, the seats pretty much need to sit as low on the floor as they can be.

Would you be interested in fabbing up another set, I obviously will be willing to pay for them.

I would but you really need the seats handy and dimensions to double check everything. I can tell you that I made each pair of brackets from two 13" lengths of 3/4" angle iron and four 2" pieces for mounting tabs. Tack weld the bolt heads to the tabs to act as studs. Short bolts with nylock nuts secure the brackets to the sliders.

I would but you really need the seats handy and dimensions to double check everything. I can tell you that I made each pair of brackets from two 13" lengths of 3/4" angle iron and four 2" pieces for mounting tabs. Tack weld the bolt heads to the tabs to act as studs. Short bolts with nylock nuts secure the brackets to the sliders.
You really do need the seats. The Summit ones I have can use the 13" front to back measurement but the side to side is 16" and floor spacing is 12" so the 3/4"x2" pieces won't work. I'm either going to weld some plate to them or cut down one side of some 3" angle. But I used your bracket design to start making mine so thanks!!!

-
Back