summitt rear disk kits

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
I had picked up an almost complete 8.75 rear end some time ago to put under the 68 barracuda. The 8.75 is missing some of the drum brake hardware, dog bone spreader that fits under the wheel cylinder, and all the e brake activating hardware that is inside the drum.

looking at disk brakes, found these on Summitt
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bk1329-x

now under 400.00
any one use these? any good?
If replacement components are needed down the road, will they be hard to find?

I have gone through the threads where folks adapted other disk components, I just don't have the accessability for rigging and machining to pull that off.

thanks

i was wondering the same thing. im sure someone on here has got them. i hope they chime in and say how they are .

I used them on my Dana 60, they can be used on 8 3/4 as well. They are SSBC brakes, worked great no issues. Good buy

I'm a little confused, though. If they retain the axles, why do they need to be pulled? Or do the axles still need to be changed?

Sorry, I know nothing on those two kits. You need to pull the backing plate from the old ones, I believe the only way to do this is to pull the axles.

I left messages on both of the e bay posting asking what their kits cross referenced to, will post here what I get back

then I called the Summit Tech line and asked a few questions..on the SUM-BK1329
the Tech said the rotors and pads cross reference to a 78 to 84 GM G body,, I was suprised that GM had rear disks on mid sized cars in the early 80's,, but the Summit guy confirmed,, he could not find a cross reference for the rotors,, he did offer that the kits are made by SSBC

then I called SSBC and asked about their SSB-A155,, that Tech said the rotors are designed for that kit, only available through SSBC and the rotors and pads cross to a 88-91 Ford Turbo Coup.

I asked him about the Summit SUM BK1329,, he said those are made for Summit by SSBC. When I asked about the differences in the SSBC and the Summit kits he said the pad material is different and there may be slight differences in the rotor,, but he also said the Summit kit is definately a quality kit. I told him what the Summit Tech cross referenced the parts to,, The SSBC Tech said the Summit Tech is wrong.

and got this response from the other e bay seller

The parts breakdown comes in the instruction manual, the rotors are 1979 trans am, and the calipers and pads are late 70's Cadillac. Thank you and have a great day.

- nelcohotrods

A good friend of mine used this kit on his duster with no problems and it works very well! His user name is cjcx3 you should ask him about it. And take a look at his duster that they're on. Hope this helps.

These kits are for the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern and require green wheel bearings.

Will these kits including summits work with small bolt re-drilled axles? Has anyone tryed them with the smaller flanged axles? Trying to figure out if these will work or if new axles are going to be required. My small axles have green bearings already installed.

Ian

Well answered my own question. Re-drilled small bolt axles will not work with Summitt's rear disc kit straight out of the box. With a little more work you could make it work if you used larger studs to register the rotor or used a set screw into both the rotor/axle combination. Then you would have to shim the caliper brackets for the axle offset. I will get some pictures of it tonight. I ended up scoring some new yukon large bolt pattern axles with green bearings. The summitt kit worked great.

Ian

-
Back