Sun super tach II bezel removal

-

crackedback

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever take the bezel off one of these tachs?

The lens is really dirty inside. I wanted to try to take it apart for some cleaning. It looks to possibly be glued together.

TIA

Anybody ever take the bezel off one of these tachs?

The lens is really dirty inside. I wanted to try to take it apart for some cleaning. It looks to possibly be glued together.

TIA

Yes

They are sort of popped/clipped on.

Any suggestions for safe removal? Thanks for the link Rick.

Crimped, and HERE is another PITA story from my past.

"Back then" before most cars had breakerless ignition (1970) Different folks came out with all kinds of nonsense that was supposed to be "better." Along with this was several CD ignitions, triggered by points. At least one was a kit. There was Delta something and Tiger SST

CDI_TigerSST.jpg

Now when I bought my "previously owned" 440-6 RR the tic tac had never worked, and the original owner just gave up and put a Sun back in there. Didn't look too bad either. This was the old Sun with the separate box and mercury battery(s)

But it would NOT work on CD. The magazines all advertised the new solid state Sun, claimed it would "work on any ignition" so I bought one.

It would...............not. ................work on CDI that is.

So in disgust I tossed in in the garbage and forgot about it.

Turns out that "Charlie" (our division version of Frank Burns) had fished it out of the garbage, pried it apart, and made a new plastic face which had been broken.

Months later, I saw it lying somewhere and declared "THAT'S my TACH," having completely forgotten a bout how it was disposed.

So Charlie says "oh, that your's? Heck you can have it." It wasn't till later one of the guys told me about what happened, LOL.

But they are most definately crimped. You have to pry them open.

For some period, I had scored a hemi tach drive dist, which has a ball top bearing. I ran a great big Jones Motrola tach which I also mounted back behind the original tach cutout.

If this ain't it it's darn close.

$%28KGrHqR,!ooFJRg6SdS+BSZwwirfeQ~~60_35.JPG

Thanks all... Success...

I squeezed the black housing on a padded chair and pulled lightly on the bezel. It popped off after a few rotations.

What a difference, nice job. Now, just move the shift pointer to 7500 and you'll have it whipped :D.

-
Back