sun visor assembly ?'s

-

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
I have some questions about the sun visor assemblies on my 68 Dart.

First of all what is the correct finish for the visor mount? Mine doesn't look painted...it looks like plating of some kind, but it's a semi gloss aluminum color. Are you having them replated or is there a paint that you're using? Mine are slightly pitted so my plan was to grind out the pits with a dremel tool, fill the pits and paint.

Second, it looks like there were plastic inserts in the visor mounts where the top latches hook into. Those inserts are broken and mostly missing. Are replacements available? There is a Philips head screw down in the cavity so it looks like they should be replaceable.

Third, I'm missing the ends of the visors where they hook into the rear view mirror. Are repops available for those? If not, can I get a good close-up picture of them? Thanks

I havent studied mine closely, so I cant answer most of your questions, but Im pretty sure the ends/rubbers of the visors are available repop. Chk out Classic Industries.

The inserts are anti-rattle pieces. Not completely necessary. The bases for the visors were chrome.

My 68's are definitely not chrome like you'd see on a bumper. I'll post a picture of them. They are an aluminum color but it's not paint. Must be a satin chrome?

Are the inserts available new?

I guess the inserts are not where the latch attaches. There must be a pin on the latch assembly that fits down into the recessed section of the visor mount...just to the left of the latch in the picture
You can see the difference between the chrome of the top latch and the aluminum color of the visor mount. I cleaned the mount up with 0000 steel wool last night and the finish isn't paint. Paint would have gotten scratches in it. The steel wool cleaned it right up and didn't affect the finish.

I'll take a look this evening. I've got several of those (three convertibles plus some parts...)

Not to hijack thread but looking at the op picture above, the small rectangular chrome piece just under the arm on the visor itself, is this piece different on different years? My 69 visors piece are about half this size, while some replacement originals I bought are this size. Thanks for your help.

The car had replacement Legendary seat covers on it when I bought it. The sun visors could very well be replacements as well.

I bought replacement anti rattle cups and visor tips when redoing my convertible

My visors were recovered with the same ultra leather material as the rest of the interior, so the metal retainer on the seam wasn't used. So have no answer for that.

I got my anti rattle clips from Tom at R/T Specialties. Long time ago.

The finish on the sunvisor mount is like a brushed nickle??

Almost like how original Mopar Magnum 500 wheel center spokes are not polished chromed. And how wiper arm after 1965 are dull finish as opposed to 65 and earlier are mostly chrome. That was a safety regulation for anti-glare. My guess is these sunvisor mount are dull for same reason.

BUT, the inside panel that goes between the visors IS chrome on 67s. I don't think anything up on the inside top of the windshield has a problem with glare. I took a look at my Barracuda visors today. They are not quite as nice as the ones I have for my GTS, but those are at my son's house attached to his Dart. I'm still fairly certain that they are chrome...

R/T shows the anti rattle inserts. Thanks

Should there be a metal rod sticking out the end of the sun visors for the rubber tips to slide onto? Right now mine don't have anything sticking out the end. I can see a metal tube inside the end though.

Yes, there should be a rod sticking out. I believe it is the same rod for the hardtop visors (or that should work even if it is a little different).

For some reason my sunvisor latch brackets are painted black. I don't know if that was factory. I doubt it.

People have been into this car for sure including repro conv top latches.

But here a pic of the visors in my 68 Dart

Attachments

• RtVisor.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 333
Here's conv visor hardware that does not have a bar going through to hook it. I suspect that where Burdar hardware came from also.

It may be a B or C body piece. I can't remember if my 67 Fury conv has a hook on it.

Attachments

• PICT0750.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 286
Cool, thanks. I'll buy some new rubber ends and make a rod for them out of aluminum.

Even though I have seen some 68 (well, maybe just one) Dart convertibles with 270 trim, they are all GT or GTS models (or were supposed to be starting in 67).

These are definitely a satin type of chrome. When I hear the word "chrome" I instantly think of what you see on a bumper. It didn't even register that it could be some other type of chrome finish. The ebay links I posted above also show this satin finish. The rear view mirror mount is the same finish. My father-in-law has a lathe so he'll be able to make a rod for the rubber tips easily. Thanks

-
Back