Super fast hazzard lights

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Im in the process of getting all my wiring straight on the 73 dart. All running lights and turn signals are working great. Same brightness, flash at the correct speed, etc. When I turn on the hazzards it flashes about twice as fast as it should. Swapped in a new flasher, same result. All connections are good. Any ideas?

Does this make sense,
You using old school flashers?
More bulbs in hazard mode equals more current equals more heat.
Flasher cycles on off faster with 4 bulbs in the circuit.
I'm going to electronic flashers (bipolar with separate ground wire) and Zevo LED bulbs on my cars for safety.
You could up grade to electronic flashers with your 1157s but they wont alet you if a bulb is out like your old ones do.
They flash at a constant speed regardless.

Does this make sense,
You using old school flashers?
More bulbs in hazard mode equals more current equals more heat.
Flasher cycles on off faster with 4 bulbs in the circuit.
I'm going to electronic flashers (bipolar with separate ground wire) and Zevo LED bulbs on my cars for safety.
You could up grade to electronic flashers with your 1157s but they wont alet you if a bulb is out like your old ones do.
They flash at a constant speed regardless.
my turn signals are just *** backwards, too slow for my liking, suspect the flasher .

I used 1157 equivalent led bulbs too no mistaking you brake lights !!

New bulbs all around, swapped out flashers with some nos HD ones I had.
I checked my other dart and the emergency flashers flash at the same rate as the turn signals do.

Use to be when that occur the flasher was either bad or to weak. Have you tried quality flasher?

Turn signal flasher operates a 2 X 1157 bulb load. Yes there are indicator bulbs in all inst' panels and some models have fender mounted signals. Those small bulbs don't add enough load to notice a difference in flash rate. Add a trailer with 2 more 1157 bulbs and signals will operate much faster while trailer is connected. Given enough time and use that OEM signal flasher would die. So the same condition as signal flasher placed in the hazard circuit.
Heavy duty flashers are built to same load, operate the same, just live longer.
A hazard flasher is designed for twice the standard turn signal load. It physically looks different. That flasher in signal circuit without a trailer might not flash at all or very slow in some models.

So the flasher for the hazzards is a different PN? I will dig through my stash and see what I can find.

Are you SURE the 1157 bulb is correct? Chrysler used different bulbs in some years that had different resistances.

Ok I figured out which flasher it needed. Its a #536 and has a tall can...about twice the height. Works perfect with that.
Strange thing is the other flasher still flashed fast after unplugging all the rear lights. Should have been the same load as a turn signal.
Oh well, just ordered a couple NOS 536 flashers off ebay.

In years past that is what we had to do when towing a trailer. The tall flasher for the added load.

To the OP.
If you upgrade your light bulbs to LED, in the brake, and turn signal, you will probably have to change the flashers again. Standard flashers won't work with LEDs. You need electronic flashers. Sometimes you have to reverse the polarity on the flasher.
I just completed my 66 B-Cuda, and am working on my 69 now.

Dave

Ok I figured out which flasher it needed. Its a #536 and has a tall can...about twice the height. Works perfect with that.
Strange thing is the other flasher still flashed fast after unplugging all the rear lights. Should have been the same load as a turn signal.
Oh well, just ordered a couple NOS 536 flashers off ebay.
Check the wiring for a short. I had a similar problem and it was a bare wire causing the extra load.

There is not a short. This is a new build and every inch of the harness was inspected before installing. The main harness was in perfect condition, looked like new. Engine harness is new, rear harness was re-tapped and new terminals put on all connectors.

-
Back