Super Six vs. Standard Six.......

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys, what are the actual differences between a "super six" and the standard models?

It's a 78, so it doesn't seem like it could be much, but it's a 2 bbl...that I know.........

Any other mods they made on the super? :glasses7:

The 2 barrel was pretty much it. That and a 2" ID exhaust pipe was worth 20 horses.

There are a couple of stories regarding how many horses you get out of the swap, one thing is for sure, its worth it.The first one I did was on my 68 d100. I just about doubled my gas milage. It went from around 13 to around 22. Power increase was nice, especially in that truck. The bigger exhaust is a large part of the equation. More air in, more air out. Planning on the swap yourself?

Not a swap actually........My buddy's 78 Volare Wagon (sweet original shape) has the super six.......Lots of pep........I'm wondering what else we might do to the six to make it better all around, without sacrificing mileage.......Maybe a header and a better air cleaner assembly? :mrgreen:

Wish I had a Super Six.....ah, add that to the list. Working with the single one barrel slant at the mo.

Think before I'd spend the dosh on headers or Dultra Duals I'd look at getting the state of tune spot on. Check for manifold leaks, set the valves, good quality wires, been hearing a lot about running NGK ZFR5N plugs (not done this myself yet, but supposed to get the spark where it needs to be from what I understand), quality cap and rotor, set the timing and advance curve, carb set right etc. etc.

I know with just my feeble set up that just getting a good carb, getting it set, setting the valves and getting the timing set made quite a difference to the feel and power the car has. Basic stuff really. Can't tell you where my MPG is yet as still tinkering on getting other bits fixed like the petrol gauge etc. so not done a lot of driving with it.

Once you have the above done then from what I've read the DDuals work pretty well. I believe they are around the $400 mark, but might be off on that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Not that it has anything to do with this thread but here is the slant that used to be in my 68 Barracuda before I swapped in the 360 sb.

Slant6.jpg

Man, that's a sweet lookin' slant in that thar' Cuda..........

My buddies wheels will be turnin' tonight... (in his head, that is...)

So, the intake was different on the super six? How so? :read2:

So, the intake was different on the super six? How so? :read2:

It had a 2bbl flange on it. There were a couple of versions. One made of cast iron and one a two piece aluminum piece. Stay away from the two piece ones, they had problems with them leaking.

It had a 2bbl flange on it. There were a couple of versions. One made of cast iron and one a two piece aluminum piece. Stay away from the two piece ones, they had problems with them leaking.

Wow....great loooking engine!

-
Back