Super Stock Springs...do they make that much of a difference

-

Sledgehammer

Yea....so what?
Reaction score
Do the super stock springs make that much of a difference? I am also looking at going to a HAL style adjustable shock.

I am also looking at going coilover and 4-link or ladder bar.

I runn 002/003 springs but havent made it to the track yet.

I saw a alot of cars though pulling the tires with nothing but SS springs on their cars at the track.

fastbackcuda said:
I runn 002/003 springs but havent made it to the track yet.

I saw a alot of cars though pulling the tires with nothing but SS springs on their cars at the track.

I will have to look into that....that is the only thing I hate about Mopars is the way they leave.....that spring spread. I like the squat...pitch and boooooing (insert spring popping sound here) Wheeelliieeeeee!!! Which is why I ran without a pinion snubber for all these years. I just put one on the last time out...to see if the car would hook harder.

Me runing Outlaw Pro Street 10.5 - Right before I left the line for the first time in 3 years without breaking something.....and with the front wheels in the air no less....50ft later trans took a dump on me! Was ear to ear grin till I bounced off the seatbelts when the trans let loose.
71Dart08092002-001.jpg

some people say they 60ft better without the snubber, so give it a shot bolth ways.

fastbackcuda said:
some people say they 60ft better without the snubber, so give it a shot bolth ways.

One of the times out before I broke a u-joint. It was the first time leaving hard on slicks I think the rear wrapped up and snapped the joint. So I am going to try again without one day testing to see. Plus I need to put some traction bars on it. I would do southsides...but just don't have the $$ to do that right now.

If you're going to be putting some serious power into the car, you might want to go coilovers and 4 link. For tunability and getting the car lower to the ground, you can't really compare it to leaf springs. I personally like the leaf springs, but if I were to build a car specifically for all out racing I'd loose the leaf springs. JMO

SS springs dont work with traction bars,. They work against each other. You might want to look in to Caltracs. You can use them with stock spings or their mono leafs

fastbackcuda said:
SS springs dont work with traction bars,. They work against each other. You might want to look in to Caltracs. You can use them with stock spings or their mono leafs

Adam...you misunderstood me...I was talking about possibly putting slapper bars on my stock leaf springs for the time being. I don't have SS springs on my car yet. Not sure if I ever will. I am considering going to coilovers and ladder bars.

But if business keeps idling the way it is...I ain't doing a danged thing. Well..back to marketing and cold calling.

-Eric-

I've been talking to Bob Mazzolini racing. I purchased the 3" inboard kit for the B/E bodies and am planning on using 456/457 B-body springs. I'm told that they work better than SS springs and are much more streetable when needed (especially vs. A-body SS springs). You may want to look them up and give Jason a call there. They are located in Riverside, CA and run EVERY Mopar setup that you can think of. Actually Bob himself just won Mopars at the Strip in his class with a stinkin' 318!!!! These guys are pretty sharp so you may want to do some research there before throwing good money after bad.
Just a thought.
Take care and awesome site!!
Dart 440 4spd

sledge, you might not remember me but we met at St.Louis at a nsca race several years ago. I had a gold 67 dart with a cowl hood running in ez/street. I had slapper bars on the car for several years and never had a problem , the car would go 1:41 60 footers. It was an iron headed (indy) 400in. flat solid cam and 3450lb. with driver, and a 175 hp shot off a cheater plate. I recently changed to cal/tracs and a better motor and after 3 outings still haven't tuned it into the 1:40s yet. I do have the slapper bars for sale though and will be at the KOS race in Penn. in a couple weeks. let me know and we'll talk more.
Jeff r aka smalltyredart

I am confused! I thought you wanted the the *** of the car to drop because it would shift the weight of the car to the back helping it hook up?

I don't have SS springs, what I've got is 8 leaves per side, the extra two being a main leaf with the spring eyes cut off and the second leaf, restacked with a new bolt through them all. No snubber, because there's no provision on the chivvy dana i have. Rides ok. I'd like to see how it launches sometime, But I can't hook. :toothy3: I'm going to try to make a set of homemade caltracs thing is, caltracs bend the spring back to where it should be.... what if the spring never bends? I guess it's about tunability? change the length of the pushrod to get a different launch? I know, the springs gotta go.

I purchased a set of B body spring from Bob Mazzolini this year and a move in kit for my 67 cuda . the rear end is very stiff like S/S springs but doesn't sit as high in the back like the S/S. I haven't been to the track yet so I couldn't tell you if they work better

Dart 440 4 spd
I here Jason isn't with Bob any more, he opened his own shop in Corona

SS Springs are not the best suspension setup. Im know there are better ways to go.
I have work real on mine, an I will not take them off. I can prouably out 60' any car that runs the same ET as I do. I have never had a on 60' better than a 1.31 with the front tires. But when my car leaves real hard it will 60' on the back tires. I have had a best of 1.40' on the rear.

If it were me........starting out with a clean sheet, I'd go with the full caltracs setup. Springs and bars. A little more than the SS springs, but more tunable. My duster came with offset SS springs, so its sorta hard to justify the changeover cost. But they work. I can hook with M/T drag radials loading the convertor (approx 12.0 383 a-body haven't tried it with spray yet, though). If you want the SS springs, Mancini sells his own version, might be worth looking into. Also tri cities competition sells their stuff to a lot of NHRA stock racers.

don

So are we saying the SS springs don't / won't wrap? That's why traction bars aren't adviseable with SS springs? How do they work against each other?

Seems to me just about any leaf spring no matter how strong would exhibit some wrap, given enough horsepower.

if iwas about to rearc my springs, and put an other main leaf in it....

what would i use? cal-tracs and a ladder bar?

would this work well or should i just loose the extra leaf in thier.

I have S/S springs on my 73 Duster with an adjustable pinion snubber.
This system works for me. Launches good at the strip.And have ride quality
on the street. I also flipped the front spring hangers,upside down to get the
stink bug look away. This system works fine. I also removed the straps from
the back half of the springs. This helps the springs work a the strip.

002/003 SS springs at 3,710lbs, Rancho 5-way shocks set at #3, pinion snubber with about 3/4"-1" clearance, Mopar drag front shocks and as much weight as you can legally and/or safely but in the trunk!

Rockingham, NC 2005 (Accel).jpg

Hey briankaplan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have S/S springs on my 73 Duster with an adjustable pinion snubber.
This system works for me. Launches good at the strip.And have ride quality
on the street. I also flipped the front spring hangers,upside down to get the
stink bug look away. This system works fine. I also removed the straps from
the back half of the springs. This helps the springs work a the strip.
.................................................................................................................... My SS springs wk great at the strip but suk on the street.Bounces all over the road.Even with new KYB shocks.Did you turn both of your frt hangers upside down or
just one to level it out.I have the 2 hole front hangers from Magnum Force

We put the 002 and 003 springs on my sons Dart and this is how it sits. It rasied it a good inch or so but not to bad. The rest of the suspension is all stock and it hooks pretty good. With M/T 9 x 28 slicks it run a best of 11.55 @ 116 with a 1.61 best 60 ft. Thats with a Dynamic 9.5 convertor and its a full body and interior street car. Ron

117885130.jpg

-
Back