Super stock springs

-
I'll be your huckleberry Rob.
Go old school...Meaning cheep and affective.
Get yourself a Monroe 32128 C body shock. Totals 26.250 in length.
Measures a full 3" longer than the Monroe A body shock.
This shock will give the suspension the full travel it needs,on the launch. :burnout:

Just ordered a set to try.

Thanks!

I'll be your huckleberry Rob.
Go old school...Meaning cheep and affective.
Get yourself a Monroe 32128 C body shock. Totals 26.250 in length.
Measures a full 3" longer than the Monroe A body shock.
This shock will give the suspension the full travel it needs,on the launch. :burnout:

Just ordered a set to try.

I took your advise on these 32128 Monroe shocks. There is one problem I came across. The top shock bushings are smaller . So the shock won't slide over the top shock bolt. What did you do when you came to this problem?

I took your advise on these 32128 Monroe shocks. There is one problem I came across. The top shock bushings are smaller . So the shock won't slide over the top shock bolt. What did you do when you came to this problem?

Really? I put a pair on the back of my Coronet before Christmas. They fit right on. I wonder of the shock bolts are different?

I just ordered a set of 002s and 003s for my '74 Dart Sport.
Now i'm curious about the upper shock bolt size when using the Monroes too.......
Does anyone have a definite answer on what over the counter shocks/bolts will fit and work for sure and give me enough travel?

Really? I put a pair on the back of my Coronet before Christmas. They fit right on. I wonder of the shock bolts are different?

they must be! I have a 68 318 barracuda and a 69 383 barracuda both have the bigger shock bolt on top. Same size as the bottom bolt. I guess I can change the top bolt? Car is up on my lift so I only looked at it from underneath.

I went from the wrong SS springs ie the 2800 lb ones that the nunyuck who did my resto put in to the 002-003 springs and my KYB shocks are still fine , no wheel hop, but I sure wouldn't want em with a 7.25 they hit the tires way too hard for such a wimpy rear end .

I went from the wrong SS springs ie the 2800 lb ones that the nunyuck who did my resto put in to the 002-003 springs and my KYB shocks are still fine , no wheel hop, but I sure wouldn't want em with a 7.25 they hit the tires way too hard for such a wimpy rear end .

Agreed! I think you're asking (waiting) to walk home :burnout: Get that 8-3/4 in there.
I've run the 002/003's for 18 years with the Mopar longer shocks, no snubber, 9 x 29" tire= 1.45 60 ft. all day :glasses7:

Seems like we used pickup shocks back in the day...I run comp adj all 4 corners with ss springs in 71 dart...

i put ss springs on both my cars last year. didn't drill anything or change shocks, did change u bolts (broke the old ones) '69 dart & '70 duster. don't like the lean either so i put both 02's on the duster & the 03's on the dart. mopar al is still fussing about it.

So, does anyone have a definite answer for what shocks to use on a '74 Dart Sport with S/S springs?
I will use the stock ones for now, but i need to know ones to order that will bolt in and have the proper extended length.

i put ss springs on both my cars last year. didn't drill anything or change shocks, did change u bolts (broke the old ones) '69 dart & '70 duster. don't like the lean either so i put both 02's on the duster & the 03's on the dart. mopar al is still fussing about it.

Ill leave the stock ones in for now, probably wont be a problem with a stock 383 for now just a mild cam ,I don't understand How I am the only one with this problem?

I just now noticed the posting about the shock absorber question. Back in the day we did in fact use C body shocks for the longer shock body. Normally those shocks had a steel sleeve INSIDE the upper shock bushing. We would press out that steel sleeve and the stock shock bolt would then fit without a problem. Also re: the body "lean: with the 002 & 003 Super Stock springs; these springs were engineered that way to preload the right rear tire to even out the traction under power. You are to crank the LEFT FRONT torsion bar up to level the car. This puts more static weight on the right rear AND left front tires which aid in both traction, and making the car come off the line straight. By using 002 springs on both sides you negate most the the engineered purpose of those springs.

Yeah I always wondered why people buy two of the same number springs. It's a waste of money, IMO. If that's what you want, then get the XHD springs. I've run SS springs on the past 4 Mopars I had and drove them very much on the street and it didn't bother me at all.

Yeah I always wondered why people buy two of the same number springs. It's a waste of money, IMO. If that's what you want, then get the XHD springs. I've run SS springs on the past 4 Mopars I had and drove them very much on the street and it didn't bother me at all.

Chrysler used to recommend imperial shocks for 002-3 springs. we ran them on the old hemi car back in the day,used to carry the front wheels about 8-10 inches till second gear when it hooked (which wasn`t often). tires sucked back then ! found a set of nos imperial shocks on ebay for the s.s. spring barracuda I`m doing now,did have a lot of trouble w/ bushings not being big enough,:wack: they were total bolt on, on the belvedere back then tho ?????bob

Bringing this thread back to let everyone know I just got off the phone with the parts department at my local dealership , Mopar rear shocks for use with SS springs Perfomance part #P4529514 are still available , price is $44.50 here in Canada , My pair will be here in a week , he said theres lots in the National warehouse stateside so no need to fuss with making aftermarket cbody work .

I just use regular shocks,

and it is a good idea to check your local dealership for SS springs before mail ordering them.

Agreed! I think you're asking (waiting) to walk home :burnout: Get that 8-3/4 in there.
I've run the 002/003's for 18 years with the Mopar longer shocks, no snubber, 9 x 29" tire= 1.45 60 ft. all day :glasses7:

I did too. My BB scamp would 60' 1.40-1.42. You might want to keep an eye on your shocks right there where they come the closest to the rear end housing. My car was hooking so hard the rear end would wrap and I noticed the shocks were dented right there. This was with the 002/003 springs.

I got them on my Dart. Think I remember the bolts would not go in so I had to drill them. As for the lean I fixed that with a simple T bar adjustment. I remember worrying about the shocks so I got under the car with a tape measure and found out what I needed easy enough. Don't remember what I ended going with though.

If you drilled them you probably went with the CBody shocks as that seems to be the draw back of using them , I just wanted people to know the correct shocks do exist and are available , there is quite a bit of stuff still in stock from the Performance catalog and most of it is priced as old stock clearance so it's always worth looking up the part number and making a call to your dealership .

If you drilled them you probably went with the CBody shocks as that seems to be the draw back of using them , I just wanted people to know the correct shocks do exist and are available , there is quite a bit of stuff still in stock from the Performance catalog and most of it is priced as old stock clearance so it's always worth looking up the part number and making a call to your dealership .

Thanks!
You answered my question perfectly.
I will price them out and probably order them next week.

I just ordered a set of 002s and 003s for my '74 Dart Sport.
Now i'm curious about the upper shock bolt size when using the Monroes too.......
Does anyone have a definite answer on what over the counter shocks/bolts will fit and work for sure and give me enough travel?

I just use Monroe Matic gas shocks. When you go to hook up the shocks, if they are not long enough, I just jack up the wheel until I can get the shock on its mounts.

Been driving them that way for years with thousands of miles with no problems.

Over extending your shocks is the worst thing for them , we used to run limiting cables on our rally car back in the day to prevent over extension when in the air .

Over extending your shocks is the worst thing for them , we used to run limiting cables on our rally car back in the day to prevent over extension when in the air .

For daily drivers, I never had the rear suspension off the ground to over-extend them. There was always a load on them.

I don't drive like Dukes of Hazzard....

-
Back