Supermarket !!!!!WOW!!!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Just got back from two supermarkets. The beef shelves are pretty much empty, and no "spuds" and not much in either canned or frozen veggies. This is a fairly conservative area, "not known" for ravages. Are the Russians the cause of this??

We found no paper supplies, no milk, little meat, little eggs.....it's all so stupid. I can only imagine the amount of bad food that gets thrown out in the next month.

Yesterday we made a dinner of tuna flavored canned meat food product, pickled pig feet, frozen lima beans, and vegan chocolate ice cream... it was all we could find in our local store

I am NOT discounting the seriousness of this virus, but we have the Media to thank for a lot of the hysteria in the US. They POUNDED fear mongering for days / weeks and got people so stirred up, and we are seeing this hysteria as a result. I have my ideas as to why the media did this, but I will keep it to myself. Regardless, had the media not gone crazy, I don't think we would see the hysteria we are seeing now. Before anyone stokes out and accuses me of not caring about the deaths, blowing off the seriousness of this problem, etc., don't bother. All I am talking about is the irresponsible actions of the media. There is a big difference between informing the public and fear mongering.

Well here in CA today the governor requested that all people over 65 participate in home isolation. This has made things worse for people like my Pops, with big box and local supermarket stores having insane lines and being out of stock on many many items. People in line already at 3 am for 8 or 10 am store openings. So first an unreasonable panic, now a somewhat reasonable panic for those asked to isolate. A couple of things come to mind. Self fulfilling prophecy, and humans can be our own worst enemies. And I totally agree with you on the media acting out of their own benefit.

Last edited:
Lol, two weeks ago I was at the ware mart and picked up a couple things of t.p and bottled water. Nothing more than I normally buy, just our usual quantity for the month, having 5 people in the house. Plenty of supplies on the store shelves at that point, some lady with her teenage son walks up to me and says to her son "look at this stupid ***, panick buying all the stuff" I said, "what" she then says "thinks he's going to get sick and die". Haha, I looked at my near empty cart and didn't even know what to say as she walked off other than "what?" She got the t.p she wanted, as I didn't even buy more than a couple 12 packs of t.p and two 12 packs of bottled water. Is that considered a hoarding volume of products? I did also buy a few cans of dog food for our senior dog that cant eat dry dog food.

Lol, two weeks ago I was at the ware mart and picked up a couple things of t.p and bottled water. Nothing more than I normally buy, just our usual quantity for the month, having 5 people in the house. Plenty of supplies on the store shelves at that point, some lady with her teenage son walks up to me and says to her son "look at this stupid ***, panick buying all the stuff" I said, "what" she then says "thinks he's going to get sick and die". Haha, I looked at my near empty cart and didn't even know what to say as she walked off other than "what?" She got the t.p she wanted, as I didn't even buy more than a couple 12 packs of t.p and two 12 packs of bottled water. Is that considered a hoarding volume of products? I did also buy a few cans of dog food for our senior dog that cant eat dry dog food.
Sorry but two 12 packs of tp in one trip looks panicky. They limited it to 2 here, so you're already maxed 24 rolls. I buy a 6 pack on average, sometimes a 4 pack.

It really doesn't matter, just the fact there is none left for anyone else.

Ps my table napkin pack I bought has lasted all week when a roll would have lasted one day and a morning.

Should havhave bought and froze meat the 1st day.
Lol

Wiping my *** is the last thing I'm worried about as long as I have water, food,shelter....
People....haha

Normally I shop at Costco, where I obviously buy in bulk as that's how they sell. Which means I usually get the 72 roll package of t.p, so I guess I didn't see buying 24 rolls as a panick hoarding. Lol. I guess it's all perception.

Sorry but two 12 packs of tp in one trip looks panicky. They limited it to 2 here, so you're already maxed 24 rolls. I buy a 6 pack on average, sometimes a 4 pack.

It really doesn't matter, just the fact there is none left for anyone else.

Ps my table napkin pack I bought has lasted all week when a roll would have lasted one day and a morning.

im with @Penstarpurist on this on
i have 6 people living in my house and we have (and use) 4 different bathroom
so when i go shopping i buy the 48 pack of toilet paper and drop a 12 pack in each bathroom, and they go at about the same rate

i ran into a buddy at the store on friday, he said there was no bread, no potatoe, no tp no bottled water and no meat
i went shopping on sunday at the same store, and bought bread, potatoes and meat (not bottled water since i didnt need it and no TP since that was still out, correction, out again)

it seems the first/biggest panic shopping spree has died down a little and the store had a chance to restock
we'll see how it goes

You guys started the crazy phase before we did. 2 weeks ago, it was completely normal here. Just 2 of us in the house and we normally buy TP in the huge packs just cause it is cheaper that way and don't have to buy as often. We still had a week or so to go with what we had, but did grab a 12 pack when we realized it was one of the items being hoarded. I just came from the discount grocery. They have TP and a pack or 2 was going in almost every cart. I did not buy any.
I did get 2 (24)packs of water. Which I usually have on stock and could not get at regular grocery since the middle of last week. The reason I was shopping for water was not even virus related. I need to change my well pump seal and there is always a chance I could have a problem getting it back working.
But to answer your question- Yes. I would think you were hoarding if I saw a cart primarily filled with the 2 top of the list hoarder items. If I saw you with 2 carts full of various items and those were part of it, I would just assume buying for family.

Normally I shop at Costco, where I obviously buy in bulk as that's how they sell. Which means I usually get the 72 roll package of t.p, so I guess I didn't see buying 24 rolls as a panick hoarding. Lol. I guess it's all perception.
See, now there ya go. Perception.
No one looks at you funny buying like that at costco. Supermarket costs way more for that 24 pack...so you stand out, buying 30.00 in toilet paper.
I dont shop at Costco much, for I do not buy in bulk. ..I like to eat out 3 nites of the week be it lunch or dinner. My week eating home now consists of the following a tri-tip,a couple pork chops , big fillet of salmon , enchiladas, and spaghetti , burgers...salad, asparagus, broccoli , squash, potatoes, beans n rice,fries ,garlic
bread..no sushi..but I'm not complaining .

im with @Penstarpurist on this on
i have 6 people living in my house and we have (and use) 4 different bathroom
so when i go shopping i buy the 48 pack of toilet paper and drop a 12 pack in each bathroom, and they go at about the same rate

i ran into a buddy at the store on friday, he said there was no bread, no potatoe, no tp no bottled water and no meat
i went shopping on sunday at the same store, and bought bread, potatoes and meat (not bottled water since i didnt need it and no TP since that was still out, correction, out again)

it seems the first/biggest panic shopping spree has died down a little and the store had a chance to restock
we'll see how it goes
4 different bathrooms....
Well....that's a family and class difference.
Your shopping trip could be 400 dollars too, mine is 65.00-120.00

Class war right around the corner...

Two weeks ago when I was there, they had copious amounts of t.p, as they always did. Had the standard two pallets of water they always have. Less than 20 people in the store shopping, all shelves of food were fully stocked. I was at the local iga two days ago and they had 10 pallets full of water(no I didn't buy more), paper towels and some t.p still on the shelf. So unlike the folks you see buying every package they can get, videos of people fighting each other for what they have all over the internet I'm not sure that two packs of regularly used household items is panick shopping. Lol, pandemic or not I bought actually less than I normally would. If I go to costco, which I normally do I buy a large package of it and like 6 cases of water. There again I say it's just perception. As I usually drop off some of the water to my senior parents, have multiple people living at home with multiple bathrooms.

Two weeks ago when I was there, they had copious amounts of t.p, as they always did. Had the standard two pallets of water they always have. Less than 20 people in the store shopping, all shelves of food were fully stocked. I was at the local iga two days ago and they had 10 pallets full of water(no I didn't buy more), paper towels and some t.p still on the shelf. So unlike the folks you see buying every package they can get, videos of people fighting each other for what they have all over the internet I'm not sure that two packs of regularly used household items is panick shopping. Lol, pandemic or not I bought actually less than I normally would. If I go to costco, which I normally do I buy a large package of it and like 6 cases of water. There again I say it's just perception. As I usually drop off some of the water to my senior parents, have multiple people living at home with multiple bathrooms.
I have an executive membership at Costco.... fwiw I'm not saying that only rich people shop at Costco ,but... a lot of average and or poor people who grocery shop ....do not shop alongside the likes of somebody who buys 2 and $500 worth of groceries at a time/or things in bulk... from a Costco or anywhere else.

*Something even more significant as the fact of we typically are not spurred into a shopping frenzy all together at once*

Then there those who wish they had just one roll of your 24...
People mostly help themselves and its showing big time.

Costco accepts food stamps. Not that I am on them, just saying that people of a lesser income do shop at Costco as I've been in line and seen them paying with their Oregon trail cards. The only reason I didn't go to Costco last time is the fact I just had a 1500 pound beef slaughtered and put up 800 pounds of meat. FWIW I would normally do $650-$700 a month of purchases from Costco shopping right next to people of lesser means and incomes.

We could get by for a few weeks without buying food. No complete gourmet meals but we wouldn't starve. It would help to clean out/use up the food in the cupboards and freezer. I have a couple Pork shoulders for pulled pork, some loins, a 15# ham, some chicken and ground beef and some frozen corn and beans I put up last summer. The pantry has a lot that can be used up.

I got the 12 ga., boxes of shells, several of those cheap stiroform ice chests. Business plan I can get 6-8 squirrels every morning, maybe a few rabbits every evening, dress them, freeze them, put ad on CL for shipped squirrel meat, include receipe for squirrel stew. Whats it worth $50 a box!!? (1 squirrel or rabbit per box!!) lol

4 different bathrooms....
Well....that's a family and class difference.
Your shopping trip could be 400 dollars too, mine is 65.00-120.00

Class war right around the corner...
family difference, sure
income difference, maybe
class difference, none that I would admit too

i will say this though we bought this house 3 years ago
at the time we were living in a duplex we owned
my wife kids and I on one side, her parents on the other side

then her dad died, and we noticed her mom didnt do well alone
so we started looking for a house big enough for my family and my mother in law

we found this place that checked all the boxes, plus a few more

Costco accepts food stamps. Not that I am on them, just saying that people of a lesser income do shop at Costco as I've been in line and seen them paying with their Oregon trail cards. The only reason I didn't go to Costco last time is the fact I just had a 1500 pound beef slaughtered and put up 800 pounds of meat. FWIW I would normally do $650-$700 a month of purchases from Costco shopping right next to people of lesser means and incomes.
Have to buy a membership but then use food stamps....right...

I got the 12 ga., boxes of shells, several of those cheap stiroform ice chests. Business plan I can get 6-8 squirrels every morning, maybe a few rabbits every evening, dress them, freeze them, put ad on CL for shipped squirrel meat, include receipe for squirrel stew. Whats it worth $50 a box!!? (1 squirrel or rabbit per box!!) lol
Nothing like rabid squirrel meat!

Rabbit dont sound too bad at through.

-
Back