Superstock Springs @#$%^&@#^%&

-
Looking at these 3 pictures of the passenger side springs. it appears that the lower springs are skewed oddley from the upper springs.

View attachment 1715498731

View attachment 1715498732

View attachment 1715498733
If you have some fabricating skills and a welder you can remove the housing, cut off the perches, straighten up the springs, set the perches on the springs, set the axle back in and tach them on. Remember to set your pinion angle correct. Also you will have to drain the lube out of the axle and it's best to remove the axle shafts and clean up the inside of the tubes for welding. Then you can check the angles to the transmission. Usually you can just loosen up the trans mount and motor mounts and pry it over a little to correct it and if that's not enough you can lift the motor up and pull the mounts and fab them as required. Don't forget to put lube back in your rear axle. I didn't think you were looking for all this but this is the correct way. If not see post #44. If you have any questions please just ask.

The main leaf is what locates. The short leaves can stick out on one side in the front and the other side in the rear. They pivot on the center bolt.
That is correct but the other leafs should not stick out there should be spring clamps on them.

I was thinking that this is indicative of another problem
It is possible as I have not exzamined the vehicle. If everything else is good those are the only ways to correct it. All I tell you is from my experience. The first early dart I had was in 1969 and it was the same way. And yes I still own the car my mother bought it for me and they can bury me in it. 273 hipo 4 speed red, white interior, white convertible top. It need a little work but I've been accumulating stuff for it. Hope to start working on it soon, I ain't getting any younger.

I laughed this morning. There's a guy on a Facebook site that is having issues with his matching number SS springs causing issues. Many have had great luck with them but if you're not racing, you don't need SS springs. Call ESPO and get a set of stockers and cruise on.

That's true but they work great in the snow. Nobody could figure out how my old mopars could go anywhere a 4 wheeler could go. SS springs and new snow tires every year. lol

OK it may be hard to see here but I think I may have fixed it.

First I hung a couple of lug nuts from magnets over the axle and made a mark with a silver sharpie.
Then I wrapped a strap around the passenger side drum and connected a come along to it.
I connected the other side to a 2x4 wedged against the frame on the driver's side.

I then applied force with the come along and loosened the u-bolts and applied more force then tightened them.

I think I moved the entire rear end about half and inch, which should be enough.

I will drive it around to make sure it stays there.

20200412_145520.jpg
20200412_145556.jpg
20200412_145640.jpg
20200412_151541.jpg

OK it may be hard to see here but I think I may have fixed it.

First I hung a couple of lug nuts from magnets over the axle and made a mark with a silver sharpie.
Then I wrapped a strap around the passenger side drum and connected a come along to it.
I connected the other side to a 2x4 wedged against the frame on the driver's side.

I then applied force with the come along and loosened the u-bolts and applied more force then tightened them.

I think I moved the entire rear end about half and inch, which should be enough.

I will drive it around to make sure it stays there.
ATTACH=full]1715506419[/ATTACH] View attachment 1715506420 View attachment 1715506421 View attachment 1715506422
good luck,

Dude...Mopar drivelines are offset 1 3/8" to the passenger side !!!! This is how they are designed !!!!!
The rearend pinion is offset to the passenger side to match the position of the engine and transmission !!!!
Because of the offset, every single A body will have less clearance in the rear passenger fenderwell.
Usually around 1/2" or so.

Get rid of the magnets, lug nuts, plumbobs, 2x10's, come alongs, and bolt your rear end back up.

Choose a better offset wheel, or skinnier tire. Done.

Dude...Mopar drivelines are offset 1 3/8" to the passenger side !!!! This is how they are designed !!!!!
The rearend pinion is offset to the passenger side to match the position of the engine and transmission !!!!
Because of the offset, every single A body will have less clearance in the rear passenger fenderwell.
Usually around 1/2" or so.

Get rid of the magnets, lug nuts, plumbobs, 2x10's, come alongs, and bolt your rear end back up.

Choose a better offset wheel, or skinnier tire. Done.

Thanks that is very helpful, and since there is a plethora of small bolt pattern rims out there I will do that.

I had similar variation on one of my darts, It appeared to be a case of a Friday afternoon car, it had poor tolerances everywhere.

Hate to tell u guys , but my 68 fastback was way closer than that !

-
Back