Sure grip and gear install 8.25

-

texas360

Reaction score
Currently I have an 8.29 with a peg leg 2.76. I have a sure grip and 3.23 or 4.10 gears or should I go for 3.55 instead. I have never installed a sure grip. I understand the concept of a rear. I out gears in an 8.8 mustang rear with a friend's help(he set them up) yrs ago. What tools would I need? I hear there is something that eleminate the crush sleeve., lastly do I get a complete master overhaul bearing kit? I sure all bearings are original? What's a decent kit that won't break bank? I ask here because you guys are full of knowledge and skill. You already got me motivated to build a magnum for my car.

Or should I just sell gears and grip and not bother with it.

If you sell that sure grip unit you will be kicking yourself.
If nothing else hold onto it until you find out why you really do want it.:D

Do you live near a reputable shop that can do the work? If you’re not in a rush, have the patience and funds/ability to buy/borrow some of the special tools and have someone who can help you out, then try doing it yourself. Be sure to have the FSM as a reference when doing the work.

You can get rebuild kit for 8.25 from Rockauto.com, Randy's Ring&Pinion, Dr. Diff, and even local parts stores. But wait until you tear it down because there are two different bearing sizes for carrier. Make sure which ones you have before ordering. Get service manual to see what tools you need before you decide to do it yourself. You can google to find it or here is a site you might have to register to see pictures but it gives tool list : Chrysler 8.25 rebuild writeup - JeepForum.com

Do you live near a reputable shop that can do the work? If you’re not in a rush, have the patience and funds/ability to buy/borrow some of the special tools and have someone who can help you out, then try doing it yourself. Be sure to have the FSM as a reference when doing the work.

Yes I live near a reputable shop but they want almost $700 to do the install. I'm not paying that.

3.23s will make your engine feel 17% bigger than it currently feels.
4.10s will make it feel almost 50% bigger than current.
In either case it will blast thru the gears much faster
If you bring them the stripped-down rear-end, it will or should take then less than 2.5 hours to install the LSD and set up the beast. Up here that's 200/250 dollars. Sometimes the replacement gears drop right in, other times they might have to go in two or three times to get the pinion shim right. If you want a quote, you're gonna get the big number. With used gears, sometimes the pattern won't come in at all;If your car is stuck on the hoist for new gears, it's gonna cost more money to get it off, and back on a few days later.
It will cost you a portion of that for tools if you don't already have them.

It will take you less than 2.5 to RnR that thing, so it's like paying yourself 450/2.5=$180 an hour, or more if your faster!
Don't forget to install the proper oil, or additive for the LSD
Put the cover on yourself, after you and the installer have examined the pattern together. If you don't know what you're looking at,just ask.

Last edited:
-
Back