Surgeing after timing adjustment?

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
Took the 66 out today and noticed I,ve got some surging going on while crusing?Car idles great,goes when hitting the go fast peddle.It seems while cruising I,m not getting enough fuel?Could this be my timing?Air fuel mixture?Has anybody had this problem?I did backoff the timing while out at the track Wed.nite,dropped 1/2 a second.Thanks for any help!It,s a thermoquad and I just got a Holley 750 v.s for backup.Motor,s a 360,mild cam.

what is the timing at (before track and after) and are you running just mechanical?

what is the timing at (before track and after) and are you running just mechanical?
I had my buddy set it up before going to the track(He was in a hurry)I believe it was set at 36 and 10 in(15lbs. of vacuum).I was getting a little starter kickback.So after 2 runs(15.30)I just loosened off and moved it back a hair.Next 5 runs were all in the mid to high 14,s.I guess I,ll have to get my timing light and vac. gauge out again.Yes mechanical.

36 total sounds right but you obviously went in the right direction if you gained that much at the track. are you running vacuum advance at all? from what I have seen most open chamber heads will like a little more total timing while close chambers a bit less. for comparison my 318 has 302 heads, about 9.5 comp., and the small voodoo cam with about the same for vacuum and i run it with 14 initial and 34 total. seems odd though to have 10 initial and kickback. is the balancer new or is it one you got with the motor?

The balancer is the one that came on the motor.I wasn,t getting alot of kickback from the starter,just abit once in awhile.Maybe I sucked dirt in the carb.?Was running with breather off.

could be. when are you gonna swap over to the holley? that will tell you for sure.

I think , if you picked up a 1/2 second(!) by moving the timing, and it was supposedly set at 36*, you're balancer may not be marked right, the ring may have slipped, maybe the light was hooked up to the wrong wire (since you're buddy was in a hurry), or something similiar. You'll only pick up huge amounts of e.t. if something is wayyy off.

the surge can be from being lean also. my car did it when i put new exhaust on the car. had to go up 2 jet sizes in the primaries.

but being it did it after a timing adjustment maybe its all in too early. what is the initial and total timing now?

I,ve gotta get my timing light back on it.Raining today,and my garage is full,I can,t get the 66 in there.Maybe tomorrow?

-
Back