Surgery question

-
Ok so I had my surgery Last Tuesday. Sounds like it was worse then he thought. He guessed 90 min and I was in there for about 4 hours.

I took the spinal block and I asked to be asleep for the whole thing. So it felt like it took 10 seconds hahaha.. That night and the next day was painful as hell! Now its getting better.

The question that I have for you guys that have broke stuff like this is..

Are there any vitamins that I can take to help the healing?
How long should I expect the major pain to last, im not talking about the normal pain that I'll have for a while. I know drilling and screwing into bone is a major deal, Im wondering so that I know what I should tel the Dr.

If it looks like im rambling it could be cause of the pain meds im on.

Thanks for taking a look guys

I have broken both my ankles one has titanium pins one has a plate and 6 screws. The pain goes away after awhile well it did for me. It still gets stiff and swells sometime but doesn't really hurt unless I hit the screws or pins on something hard. My wife is a natropathic doctor and gets me some natural supplements for mine. I can try to ask her what she recommends. PM me if interested.

Nothing you take will make you heal any faster. Having enough vitamin D and calcium in your daily intake is what matters to keep your bones strong as you get older. Your pain will settle down as every day goes by.Keeping your leg down to long will make your swelling go up and discolour toes and give you discomfort. Ice and elevation are your new friends for awhile. Any chest tightness or difficultty breathing and bad calf pain should be addressed ASAP. Could be signs of a clot. Are you in a cast or a post op splint? Anyway im sure they told you this before you left. Edd

After several trips to the knife i suggest you go to sleep. When you wake up it is over and done with. Spinal taps have a tendency to leaves scar tissue which in my case sent me back in to remove it from pinching nerves. Go to sleep and enjoy the rest it is like no other rest you will ever have. Best of luck and throw away your skates those days are over. Keep us updated.

Sorry to hear about your leg/ankle. My wife broke her ankle about four months ago, she has a plate and eight screws and yes plenty of rest keep it elevated and ice like the other guy said and she's up and around full time at work.
I would suggest you get a knee walker to get around the house and out side once able to get around.
Best of luck with your recovery.You should get one that steers and a basket so you can carry things back to the living room. I paid 265 off ebay and sold it for 180 when she was done with it about five weeks. They rent for 140 for five weeks but if you need it longer?
B5Zr9uwBGkKGrHqZhgEyr3scv69BMtfl9w5OQ_12.jpg

wow, racingduster, its sound like the twin to mine, didnt break a bone, just tore the bicep tendant off the bone, anyway, 45 min surgery, turned into 4.5 hours, because they couldnt find the tendan, hiding behind my shoulderblade, kinda discussting, anyway, my doc didnt say anything about vitamins, but i did have to take a steroid for about a week, along with and antirejection pill, so i would suggest anything that would rebuild the bone mass, ie calcuim, b, etc, oh, and get ready for the arthritis, thats next, also you now have the best barometer known to man!

Good luck my freind, and dont push it! That usually makes it worse!

Doug

nightey night every time. I've had the spinal block once, never I repeat never again.
Get the knee walker. I was able to borrow one. Beats the heck out of crutches. Ask me I just got off of them.

Thanks for all the info guys. The pain is starting to let up. I havent had to take as many pain pills today.

@Nite Moves They got me in a splint and that tan wrap stuff. Since they didnt give me any blood thinners I had better keep an eye on that clot thing. (I had better not tell the wife that, she worries to much about me the way it is)

@DUSTERDOWNS Im gonna remember your post about the scar tissue from the spinal block, so far so good.

Thanks for the Idea on the leg roller, but my wife wont let me do to much with out her running over and helping or doing it for me....so..I guess Ill have to save my money on that hahahah

You guys are the best!

I wish someone would have told me about the little scooter thing when I broke my ankle two years ago. 11 weeks on crutches during the winter sucked. Way worse than when i broke the same ankle 20 years earlier.

Anyway, I have a plate, and only 10 screws. Does yours look sort of like this:

Attachments

• xray.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 62
HOLY CRAP damnimcooltom! My guess is yes, except the plate is on my smaller bone. But the screw count sounds the same. I go in on the 25th for my check up and they said they are gonna take more xrays again. 11 weeks on crutches hu....damn that suck. Its been just a couple of weeks and im going nuts cause im bored. Ill post a copy of my xray when I get it so we can compare.

Hows the screws? some other poster on here said they hurt when you bump them.

Has anybody broke a screw under normal wear and tear?

Make sure that you massage the area around your incision regularly while it heals. The surgeon cut nerves, and as your body reprograms itself, it's good to stimulate the area. If you protect it, and keep it from being touched or bumped, after it heals a slight bump could feel like a smack from a hammer. Also work the area to keep scar tissue from latching onto the screws and plate. You want to keep everything loose in there. If you get to go to a physical therapist, I definitely would. They'll help you with this stuff.

As far as how it "feels" to the touch, it's kind of weird. If I touch the skin above the plate, I feel it, and yet it feels remote, if you know what I mean? The plate is blocking the feeling from the nerves below it.

As far as just regular pan, it's been two years since surgery, and it hurts most of the time. Weather changes make it hurt a lot more. I've talked to other people with similar issues, and they have told me that having the plate removed reduced their pain, but it's another surgery and weeks on crutches again. I guess I'll see what happens as I get older.

Definitely look into one of those scooters. You can rent them, and they make getting around a heck of a lot more comfortable. et me know if you have other questions.

I wish someone would have told me about the little scooter thing when I broke my ankle two years ago. 11 weeks on crutches during the winter sucked. Way worse than when i broke the same ankle 20 years earlier.

Anyway, I have a plate, and only 10 screws. Does yours look sort of like this:
Dam thats a nasty tibial fracture............I got to say from what i see who ever did your surgery aligned everything well.

I had spent a few hours on top of some structures, clearing chest-deep snow to avoid a collapse. The last part I did was a metal-roofed lean-to that covers one of my Darts. The snow was so heavy, it did break one beam. Anyway, it was metal, and very wet, and I was worried about safely making it back up to my ladder, so I decided to drop into the snow that was piled as high as the roof itself. I've done it on several occasions before, and figured the snow was deep enough to catch me safely.

Well, I was concentrating on not cutting myself on the edge of the metal roof, and didn't concentrate on my landing, and went in straight-kneed. I cut through the snow like a hot knife into butter, and caught my foot on a wheel barrow several feet down. It flipped my foot up, and split my shin up the middle. I was alone, and it took awhile to dig myself out of the snow pile. Once I did, I had to roll across the 4 foot deep snow to get to the house. I used my shovel as a crutch, and after changing into dry clothes, I drove myself to the hospital. I got some x-rays, some crutches, and a splint, and was sent home until a couple days later, when the surgeon could see me.

I was lucky enough to have had the piece not split off completely. It made the alignment process much easier. Since I did split the joint itself, I'm wondering how it's going to wear as I get older.

A few months later, when the snow finally melted, was when I was able to actually see what I hit. I hit the handle on the wheel barrow so hard, I broke it off. We did battle, and we both lost.

-
Back