Surgery question

-

Racingduster

Certified Welder
Reaction score
So here's the deal. New Years morning at 1 am i slipped on some ice and broke my ankle. I went to the ER and the xrays showed 4 major breaks in the 2 bones. Told me to come back Tuesday for surgery consult.

Ive been layed up since then. Went to the Dr today and they want to do surgery Thursday. I have to get a 6in plate screwed in with 11 screws, two of which are to hold a ligament back together. two more screws are to hold the other bone back together.

I have never had a major surgery before.

The question that I have is-

Should I be put "under" or the other way is a "spinal tap"

What are your guy's thoughts on these too ideas?

Thanks

I always like to be knocked out tell me all about it when i wake up...

well first let me say OOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH!!!! Second, are you shitting me? you want to be awake while they screw your ankle back together? Brother you have some giant coconuts! I say sleepy time!

I agree, I have had about eight surgury's and i have had a spinal tap, and I have been knocked out, give me the gas everytime, the only downside to lights out is your grogy for a while after, jmo but knock me out please, good luck either way

No spinal taps for me or more correctly spinal block. Let them put you under so you don't have to hear the drilling and sawing on your ankle. I shudder to think of it.

well first let me say OOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH!!!! Second, are you shitting me? you want to be awake while they screw your ankle back together? Brother you have some giant coconuts! I say sleepy time!

hahahaha. They told me I could watch it on a tv while it was getting done. That might be kinda cool.

I might get knocked out tho. time goes faster

I was awake for my knee surgery, not bad, but no screws or anything.

I'm surprised with that extensive ortho work you were even offered a choice. I don't think any Dr. would want a patient up for that....I'd go general for sure.. Ask them for a video of the work!

well, look up a spinal tap, and alot of women have them for c-section. i have heard horror stories of them not doing it correctly, and had tons of side effects.

my wife had a spinal tap for all the pain during out first child, and let me tell you, she was up every night for over 6 months after birth, screeming in the middle of the night, that her whole lower body would go numb. do not get the tap.

Take the gas-I have had both and will not do the twilight again. Knock me out! If you want to watch have them record it and watch it when you will remember it.

This is an easy one for me…… Have them put you under.

You are out before you even have a chance to think about it, then you wake up and it's like…… You mean we are done already?

I've worked in an OR while surgery was being performed. I don't think MOST people would want to be aware of what was going on while they were being worked on. But with the advent of all of these medical shows on TV people probably have a better idea of what to expect than they used to. Have to tell you though, the TV shows usually don't show everything.

put me out any time ..i feel your pain man i have been putting my surgery of all last year and i know i have to have it to replace my right shoulder..but been trying to take care of so bills befroe they take me out of work for good..damn i hate this but i hurt and have very bad pain most days but got a family that needs the bills paid..but i will have it this year sometime lol..mike

by the way just call yourself lucky my brother was blown off a ladder at a fire call and broke his ankle had to cut 1/2" off the bone and 28 bolts keeps his leg together and 7 oper. doc told him if anything happen only other option is to cut it off theres nothing else they can do to it....just another day at work

:read2:Well its up to you really. I dont like the idea of a needle in the back.I know most of my patients i deal with actually perfer the spinal block. No worries of anestitic complications and feeling shitty coming out of it. Sounds like a good ankle fracture. Tis the season. We see anywere to 60 to 90 patients a day.Dosent look like you will be walking anytime soon well a good 6 weeks anyway.Ligaments take along time to heal.....Slower than bone.It sounds like you broke tibia and fibula both malleolus.....In saying that you really disrupted your main ankle ligaments....Wowzers..........Best of luck and a speedy recovery.If there is anything i can do let me know.........Edd...BTW im a Reg.Orthopedic Technoligist...................

hey nite moves what can i do for pain of arthritis (think i spelled that right)thats the reason i have to have my shoulder replaced.. like i said i have pain everyday some days are worst then other like a nail being drove down my bone to the point i have to close my eyes for a few sec. in my mri the bone looks almost black was told its called a old man shoulder.. im just 39 mike..

sorry not trying to hi jack post...thanks mike

No question for me. Go OUT! Completely OUT. Do not get the spinal block. I've had both over the years and would choose dreamland everytime if given the choice.
My last major surgery was a total knee reconstruction and the last thing I remember was the chuckling in surgery when I asked them when I'd stop remembering what was happening.

No question for me. Go OUT! Completely OUT. Do not get the spinal block. I've had both over the years and would choose dreamland everytime if given the choice.
My last major surgery was a total knee reconstruction and the last thing I remember was the chuckling in surgery when I asked them when I'd stop remembering what was happening.
Are you sure it wasnt the saw and hammering that got you......LOL. Hows the knee now............

thanks for all the info guys. looks like its sleepy sleepy for me.

the sucky part is that FEDEX showed up today with my jegs order, SSBC system, fuel pump, and other goodys.

And Im on the couch and not able to go work on the duster.....sad

So here's the deal. New Years morning at 1 am i slipped on some ice and broke my ankle. I went to the ER and the xrays showed 4 major breaks in the 2 bones. Told me to come back Tuesday for surgery consult.

Ive been layed up since then. Went to the Dr today and they want to do surgery Thursday. I have to get a 6in plate screwed in with 11 screws, two of which are to hold a ligament back together. two more screws are to hold the other bone back together.

Thanks

wow, they said come back Tuesday? sorry, but WTF? You all don't have docs that can do it now? lol
Seriously, go under and we will see ya when your wayky wayky.
sweet dreams.

Without reading a single reply'

My wife, the RN sez;

General anesthesia.

SPINAL TAP???! Only the band!

There a high risk of back problems and paralysis with spinal taps.

Thanks

I just had Prostate cancer 5 months ago and had the surgery. They did a spinal block and I don't remember a thing. I went into the pre-surgery and was asked to sit up on the edge of the gurney, a good looking nurse came over and I was told to hug her (liked that). They put a needle in your back, it really isn't that bad. Your feet will feel like lead when they get it right. I woke up a while later, surgery done and had a two day stay in the hospital.
Now the down side, I had one mother of a headache for a week. I used 2 pillows..one under my head and one on top. Not everyone gets this, I think I must have hugged that nurse a little too much..LOL One upside, they gave me something to keep me from remembering the operation, it lasts about 3 to 5 weeks..at least thats what I told my wife! I could get away with murder and tell her I don't remember a thing.. I'm not a big fan of being put under, the stuff gives me nausea and I hate puking!:angry7:

i hope you are a younger guy, our bones dont heal quick as we age. my dad fell off a ladder and broke both legs , 1 compound and around ankle and 5 years later he still has pains and walks with a big limp. but he also thought he knew the better way to do therapy lol. but any ways go under and stay off it til they give you the green light and do all therapy.

-
Back