Suspension and frame work, cracked LCA, advice welcome

-
You are aware flux core and mig use opposite polarity?
Sorry about wandering off topic...
Flux core spills all over, not as clean as gas MIG but those machines are very cheap.

I know because the store that sold me the welder told me and I've seen it other places, as well.
Just something thats easily overlooked. My new fancypants welder tells me to check polarity.

I know you said you want to grind it and make it look nice but personally after V grooving like Jim said, I would lay a nice bead weld and not grind where possible as it adds strength to the repair.

I know you said you want to grind it and make it look nice but personally after V grooving like Jim said, I would lay a nice bead weld and not grind where possible as it adds strength to the repair.

You are right, I had to cut the tab on top pf the LCA to open it enough to work and cut off the metal where the crack was, going about 1/4" beyond where the end of the crack was. Thing is I have a tendency of over killing and placed a large amount of weld on the outside of the LCA but left it leveled on the inside. I used what I had here... 7018 2.5 mm arch weld electrode and worked bit by bit to avoid heating it way too much...
I will post some pics soon. I bet it will not crack again, at least not at the same place for sure...
I also plan on welding an stiffening plate on the bottom and around the bushing area.
Thanks for your input and have a great New Year!!!

20181221_180624.jpg

20181221_190037.jpg

20181221_195655.jpg

20181221_195757.jpg

Some pics of the welded LCA.
Still going to cut and weld a stiffening plate and paint it. Lots more work to do not enough time...

20190102_193809.jpg

20190102_202117.jpg

20190102_193915.jpg

20190102_193802.jpg

Taking too long but I am expecting to finish all main work under the car in March... Here are a few pics of the mod I did on the LCAs... now they feel solid... just hope they are aligned enough..
Got a cheap gun for mediablasting those rusty LCAs before painting.

20190224_103139.jpg

20190223_175130.jpg

20190219_103805.jpg

20190220_215848.jpg

Finished the LCAs, putting all together.

Now have to deal with the unexpected, making front tires 245 60 R14 on 14x7" 3.5" backspace fit there.

20190307_122159.jpg

20190307_122758.jpg

20190306_185426.jpg

20190305_092601.jpg

20190306_201059.jpg

20190306_183528.jpg

20190306_182312.jpg

20190306_205714.jpg

Taking too long but I am expecting to finish all main work under the car in March... Here are a few pics of the mod I did on the LCAs... now they feel solid... just hope they are aligned enough..
Got a cheap gun for mediablasting those rusty LCAs before painting.

View attachment 1715294406

View attachment 1715294408

View attachment 1715294410

View attachment 1715294412

Lower Control Arms reinforcement plates make these mopar LCAs much stronger than stock.
I think it is one must do job when you have the front suspension serviced.
I made the stiffening plates myself out of a 2.5 mm thick steel plate, after making a prototype out of cardboard.
The one detail in welding these plates is make sure they are aligned as they are supposed to. I cut the welding on the top plate of the LCA which holds both parts together, to be able to press them tight in place before welding the bottom and top plates in place.
The result was amazing compared to the original LCAs, now they feel really as one piece.

Screenshot_20191127-203749_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20191127-203715_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20191127-203613_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20191127-203345_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20191127-203822_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20191127-204145_Drive.jpg

Hi people,

This might be a long thread but once guys here are really good at helping members I decided to give it a try...

Finally decided to give my 76 Dart some attention after sitting in the garage for too long.
I just want to fix some old issues and make it a reliable weekend drive for short trips and riding around, all stock and spending just what is really necessary.

This Dart (4 door 318TF904) was my 1st car, all stock from factory, bought it when I was 18 and the car was 5.5 years old, all I could afford at that time. Not too long to find out the POs treated it like ****, still a great running V8, and I have a personal connection with it.

Drove it only about 15,000 mi then, till I got a more fuel efficient vehicle for DD.
Now, decided to do whatever it needs, give it a new life and fix the major issues, which are mostly suspension and framework (besides some little hidden rust and lousy paintjob).

I plan on posting some good amount of pics of my work progress and would really appreciate comments (good or bad) from experts, as well as suggestions on what might be wrong.

So far I have disassembled all under the car and found out some issues.

Cracked LCA -

The Left LCA has a 3/4" long crack, pictures attached.

This A body was assembled in Brazil where I currently live and some parts were pressed here, but it seems that the issues are pretty much the same.

The cracked LCA must have been added to the car after a crash involving mostly the left front suspension/frame before I got it, I suspect.
The LCA crack has signs of a previous superficial welding and grinding with little penetration IMO.

These parts are not available to buy here except if I buy from the US an pay about 300% on top of that for freight and duties so I decided to fix it myself.
I plan on arch weld it after grinding a kind of V shape channel on top of the crack in order to replace the metal between both pieces.

Any suggestions as far as fixing it? I do not have MIG, plan on using arch weld, 7018 electrode or maybe 6013?

Any previous experiences of successful LCA welding? I also plan on welding some reinforcement straps on the bottom.

The K member looks good as far as cracking (so far).

Another issue is about the frame... after some measuring I suspect the left front end is off by 1/2" (higher), probably from hitting something with the left front wheel. Will post pics and more info later.

Thanks for your input.

View attachment 1715262340

View attachment 1715262354

View attachment 1715262355

View attachment 1715262357

View attachment 1715262358

View attachment 1715262359

View attachment 1715262365
Lord knows what shipping would cost, but if you locate one of those Brazilian Dart A body grill, bumper and fenders and put for sale here on FABO you could turn some money on that. Seems like there would be someone here wanting a one of a kind Dart here in the US.

Lord knows what shipping would cost, but if you locate one of those Brazilian Dart A body grill, bumper and fenders and put for sale here on FABO you could turn some money on that. Seems like there would be someone here wanting a one of a kind Dart here in the US.
Hey, thanks for your quote.
That front grill was made by Chrysler in Brazil only (as far as I know) for the chargers from 1973 till 1978 and for the gran sedans and gran coupes from 1976 till 1978 with a different grill design and minor changes... Now, I must say they are pretty rare here but you still can find some used old ones for sale on the web for about maybe US$ 500.00 and that may not be in very good shape... will need some metal work and painting... as far as bumpers and fenders, they are the same as the 1969 US Darts. Shipping I am not sure but maybe about $ 100.00 to 200.00.
There are also some pannels behind the grill that hold the headlights... Pretty rare here too.

Just for reference your LCA's look very similar to late model Australian arms with the reinforcement at the pivot end and sway bar tabs.

20191017_181701.jpg

Just for reference your LCA's look very similar to late model Australian arms with the reinforcement at the pivot end and sway bar tabs.

View attachment 1715433327

Yes they do, I only saw those Aussy LCAs after making mine but I think that is the way Chrysler should have made them in the first place.
If you look at the very first picture I posted in this thread you see a difference in thickness on the stamped plate where the crack began (probably due to the manufacturing process of stamping them), so I think it had to crack there anyway, which is the weakest point and does not allow reinforcement by welding a plate all around.
Anyway, after welding the reinforcement plate these arms feel really solid. The aussy LCAs also have the sway bar tabs in the same position as the ones in Brazil, in USA the sway bar tabs are more in the middle of the arms, guess they were sending overseas all the old stuff they did not use in USA any more.

Another issue would be the ball joint and tie rod end boots, they are all shot but the ball joints are pretty tight in like new condition as much as feel.
All of them are sealed and do not allow greasing. I want to save them and replace just the boots.
Found here at a local import a set of PU boots, supposed to be Energy Suspension brand... that would fit.

My question would be if anyone knows if these PU boots seal good, keeping dirt and water from coming in contact with the ball joint at all times when the car runs.

I have an old rubber booth I bought long ago that shows in the pic, if you turn the ball pin it will lift on one side and that would not be acceptable as far as sealing... Are the PU boots sealing any better at all times? The stock ones have a metal ring that will keep it in place.
Added a few pics...

View attachment 1715262829

View attachment 1715262831

View attachment 1715262832

View attachment 1715262833

View attachment 1715262834
Another issue would be the ball joint and tie rod end boots, they are all shot but the ball joints are pretty tight in like new condition as much as feel.
All of them are sealed and do not allow greasing. I want to save them and replace just the boots.
Found here at a local import a set of PU boots, supposed to be Energy Suspension brand... that would fit.

My question would be if anyone knows if these PU boots seal good, keeping dirt and water from coming in contact with the ball joint at all times when the car runs.

I have an old rubber booth I bought long ago that shows in the pic, if you turn the ball pin it will lift on one side and that would not be acceptable as far as sealing... Are the PU boots sealing any better at all times? The stock ones have a metal ring that will keep it in place.
Added a few pics...

View attachment 1715262829

View attachment 1715262831

View attachment 1715262832

View attachment 1715262833

View attachment 1715262834
LCAs bear all the weight up front, I think you would be ok welding then adding the reinforcing plate. After adding up the costs to refurbish my factory LCA's I wasn't too far from new tubular units from QA1, which is the route I chose. As far as your seal issue/ question, I'm in the same boat( see pic)with new UCAs from POL...I called them about this floating seal issue and the guys reply was " yeah, that's just the way they are" wtf?

14116.jpeg

Well thats a poor design on their part, no point adding the boot if it can't keep the crap out and the grease in, when you go aftermarket sometimes the sad thing is the manufacturer think's it's good enough for a product to leave that way.

LCAs bear all the weight up front, I think you would be ok welding then adding the reinforcing plate. After adding up the costs to refurbish my factory LCA's I wasn't too far from new tubular units from QA1, which is the route I chose. As far as your seal issue/ question, I'm in the same boat( see pic)with new UCAs from POL...I called them about this floating seal issue and the guys reply was " yeah, that's just the way they are" wtf?

View attachment 1715433612
In the USA these new control arms are not way too expensive so they probably are the best way to go (they even allow more positive caster) but in that pic it seems the front suspension height is way too low so the uca is way up in a position the seal might open. Is that the actual car height as it runs? The new tubular uca should come with a new upper ball joint and seal. The PU boots I got from energy suspension do not have the metal ring to hold them in place so I just hope they seal in normal operating condition.
All tie rods and ball joints were stock and felt like new so I decided to keep them and use the PU new seals but the car is not a daily drive...

In the USA these new control arms are not way too expensive so they probably are the best way to go (they even allow more positive caster) but in that pic it seems the front suspension height is way too low so the uca is way up in a position the seal might open. Is that the actual car height as it runs? The new tubular uca should come with a new upper ball joint and seal. The PU boots I got from energy suspension do not have the metal ring to hold them in place so I just hope they seal in normal operating condition.
All tie rods and ball joints were stock and felt like new so I decided to keep them and use the PU new seals but the car is not a daily drive...

That's not the car ride height, I took that pic after UCAS install and before TB were installed so yeah, it's an unfair angle on the seal I suppose. Still a weird deal though that the seal doesn't seat around inner boss

-
Back