Suspension choices-Which One???

-

Graminizer

The "Big G"
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I will be starting on my suspension rebuild shortly, and with all the choices out there, I don't know which way to go. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices:

PST rebuild with tubular control arms, 2" drop spindles, 1.03" torsion bars and rear springs

Hotchkiss TVS with same parts as above

Just Suspension's Real Deal setup with same parts

Who has used these and how did you like them regarding performance and install? Thanks for any input guys.

I've installed P-S-T- on two cars now, I'm sold.
Also, be careful with the dropped spindles if you plan to use wheels with deep backspace, the wheel can run interference with the tie rod ends.

The PST and Just Suspension use Addco sway bars. They have the worst attaching hardware of all the companies. They come standard with KYB shocks, but should be upgraded to Bilsteins.

I would grab those $199/pair Just Suspension T-bars though!

I have the complete TVS system since last June.

I already had done pretty extensive suspension upgrade over the last 16 years with various used Addco sway bars and a bunch of different shocks. Basically like those PST and Just Susp kits that are a basic rebuild kit plus sway bars. But mostly done with low budget junkyard or whatever flaming deals I could score at swap meets over 16 years time.

But stepping up the Hotchkis system really took it the next level. It refined everything to get a more balanced, more predictable car. The Bilstein shocks were awesome too. I made a huge jump to much bigger torsion bars (1" to 1.14") and I was really worried about the ride. I went a whole 50% stiffer and I was allready 60% stiffer than stock. Really wasn't nearly as rough as I expected. I think the shocks helped contributed a bunch to that, but the whole system did too.

The Hotckis sway bars are hollow at save about 7 lbs up front and about 1 lbs in the rear. The front has a nice stamped cup to accept the bushing and the ends are rounded tightly so as not to clip or interfere with the lower control arm. Sometimes that is close. Also the attaching hardware is stout as hell and nice precision stuff. The Addco bushing retainer is just one stamped piece with universal bolt slots that end up sliding back no matter how you installed them.

attachment.php

The Hotckis rear is hollow also and it's adjustable. This allows you to fine tune your car. There is no way any kit is going to be a perfect neutral handling car for every application. Everybody's car is a little different.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hotchkis upper control arms, strut rods, and tie rods with precision rod rods. Tie rod sleeves are lightweight thick wall aluminum. My front end doesn't "snap" like it sometimes did with the poly strut bushing.

attachment.php

The rear leaf springs are pretty unique. The ones you get from PST, Just Suspension, Spring and Things, Detroit Spring, XHD Mopar, are not like this. The Hotchkis leafs have two really thick under leafs that extend all the way to the front eye to prevent spring wrap up and then another thick leaf on top to prevent wheel hop under braking.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks autoxcuda for those great pics. I was leaning towards the Hotchkiss stuff the whole time, but because of the extra expense, I was still a little hesitant. Now I'm not.

I do have 2 question though. Did you use your stock spindles or aftermarket spindles? And what brake package are you using?

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks autoxcuda for those great pics. I was leaning towards the Hotchkiss stuff the whole time, but because of the extra expense, I was still a little hesitant. Now I'm not.

I do have 2 question though. Did you use your stock spindles or aftermarket spindles? And what brake package are you using?

Stock 73-76 A-body spindle. FMJ spindle will be the same. My car is really low and I have 25" diameter tires. I do not run lower control are bump stops. But the energy 1/2" poly bump stops would be a good idea. I ran that setup for 16 years with 1" t-bars.

I've always and still have the stock upgade 11.75 disk rotors with stock calipers and adjustable proportioning valve. Stock drums too. Fine for street or autocross. But at the track, the fronts willl get hot and fade. If you are concerned about price of the suspension kit, just run stock front disks and upgrade later as neccessary.

-
Back