Suspension removal

-
sure back the adjusters off on the lower control arm all the way. Remove the retainin clip at the back of the torsion bar socket. Use a torsion bar puller to remove torsion bars. THis is all assuming that you have the wheel and brake assemblies and steerin link out of the way and un hooked. Separate the LBJ from the control arm.

If you're taking out the LCA you don't need a torsion bar tool. Once you've unloaded the adjusters and pulled the retaining clips just take the nut off of the LCA pivot and use a dead-blow hammer on the LCA. The LCA will slide back out of the K member, and the torsion bar will slide out of the back of the socket. Once the LCA is clear of the K member, a couple more strikes with the dead blow hammer in the other direction should knock it off of the end of the torsion bar. Just resist the urge to use a sledge hammer instead of a dead blow hammer and you should be free and clear with no damage to the torsion bars or the LCA's.

Eliminates the chance of marring the torsion bars, and no fancy tools needed! :D

If you're taking out the LCA you don't need a torsion bar tool. Once you've unloaded the adjusters and pulled the retaining clips just take the nut off of the LCA pivot and use a dead-blow hammer on the LCA. The LCA will slide back out of the K member, and the torsion bar will slide out of the back of the socket. Once the LCA is clear of the K member, a couple more strikes with the dead blow hammer in the other direction should knock it off of the end of the torsion bar. Just resist the urge to use a sledge hammer instead of a dead blow hammer and you should be free and clear with no damage to the torsion bars or the LCA's.

Eliminates the chance of marring the torsion bars, and no fancy tools needed! :D

This is the way I've been doing it lately, I actually made a tortion bar removal tool several years ago but find it too time consuming to use. now I just loosen everything up and give the LCA pivot nut a whack and the T-bar comes loose. I also grease everything liberally when re-assembling so these parts don't get corroded together.

Ditto. The grease is just to stop corrosion. Nothing should slide in operation. Indeed, the earliest design didn't have the rear torsion bar boot and it didn't take long for cars in the North to collect road salt in there and fail.

Factory service manual is a free download.I dont have the link handy. If you intend to do these sort of repairs you need it. Only other thing I can add is ,
Buying a new lower ball joint will save a whole lot of time and trouble.

-
Back