Suspension

-

Colin.C

Reaction score
what would be a good set up for a more stiff ride in the suspension department? i dont know what is on my 64 dart gt right now i have not bothered to look been busy working on other issues but all i know is that they are really loose feeling lots of play when hitting pumps/speed pumps/taking hard turns feels like they are almost bottoming out.. just want a solid smooth ride but with a little stiffness to them.

Let me know what y'all think.

Thanks,

Good idea, ill be popping under the car tomorrow to replace my neutral safety switch ill inspect them. i just was wondering really what brand people are mostly using...etc.

Thanks

I was going to ask a similar question. Which sway bar would be more effective a front or rear and what size would be recommended?

I was going to ask a similar question. Which sway bar would be more effective a front or rear and what size would be recommended?

You don't want a rear sway bar without a front, you will probably end up crashing.

But adding a front if you don't have one is a good upgrade.

Not sure about the size, but a bunch of people make one that will bolt in. Just about any of them would be a fair choice.

You don't want a rear sway bar without a front, you will probably end up crashing.

Not sure about the size, but a bunch of people make one that will bolt in. Just about any of them would be a fair choice.
x2

I am thinking Addco 1 1/8" sway bar. Anybody by chance have the instructions for installation. I am curious as to how and where it goes.

Stiffer torsion bars, a good front sway bar (Hellwig), and some good quality gas shocks would be a good start and probably all you will need for the street. For road racing, you'll need to do many more things to be competitive.

A front AND rear bar (along with a front end rebuild) as well as gas shocks all around will make you think you are driving a sports car.
RearSwayBarResults.jpg

Hellwig has a 1-1/4" tubular front sway bar (p/n 55914) and an adjustable 3/4" rear sway bar (p/n 6907) that will wake up the handling on your early A-body. Here are some pictures of our early A-body Front sway bar. When choosing a sway bar, the mounting can be just as important as the size of the bar as a weak mounting system will reduce the effectiveness of the sway bar. Our front sway bar features 3/16" thick laser cut and CNC formed brackets for a solid and attractive mount.

389434891.jpg

384421540.jpg

389460209.jpg

wow dave. thats neat! do you have anything like thats for the 67-76 crowd? i already have the 1 1/8 bar u made custom for me. which worked out awesome!!

Dammit Dave, why you been hidin that? Summit has um for 249. That's a dang good deal. Thanks man. It's on my list.

Hay Dave, according to Summit, that rear part number is a 1" diameter bar. Can you confirm the size on that? Thanks. They are both on my list now either way.

I found it. Summit has it wrong. I went to the Hellwig site.

Mopardude318 - We have the 67-76 bars covered pretty well. We have 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 tubular bars as well as a 1-1/4" tubular bar that will fit with 18" wheels and 5"+ backspacing

strokerscamp- The rear bar is 3/4" diameter. p/n 6907 fits 63-76 A-body Mopar applications.

Mopardude318 - We have the 67-76 bars covered pretty well. We have 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 tubular bars as well as a 1-1/4" tubular bar that will fit with 18" wheels and 5"+ backspacing

strokerscamp- The rear bar is 3/4" diameter. p/n 6907 fits 63-76 A-body Mopar applications.

Thanks Dave. You might wanna give Summit a holler. They have it listed as a 1".

Stroker - Amazon has the fronts for $196 and can be shipped for free if you can wait a few extra days
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I5EEKU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: Hellwig 55914 Tubular Front Sway Bar: Automotive[/ame]

^ True, I'm running solid 3/4" in the rear with no front swaybar and the oversteer has bit my *** a few times when I'm coming out of a hard turns hot. I can't wait to rip out the front end and get one in their along with some thicker torsion bars.

If your suspension hasn't been rebuilt in recent memory, start there. Don't forget the leaf spring bushings in the back.

High pressure gas shocks are the next big improvement. KYB's are affordable but they are valved a little on the firm side (some would say bordering on harsh) Bilstein makes shocks for A-bodies, but they cost a fair bit more.

A front sway bar will make a HUGE difference, especially if you have .850 or .870 torsion bars. The Addco bars are OK but the mounting brackets leave a bit to be desired. The Helwig bar has a much better mount.

If you don't have a lot of cash, a PST kit with sway bars and KYB shocks is probably the best bang for your buck, adding larger torsion bars down the road if you think you really need them. If you have a bit bigger budget, something like the full Hotchkis setup would be cool.

340 torsion bars, get 'em out of a 318 A/C car too (a LITTLE more common, eh?) those soft 6 bars lag, even in a 6! I always had a stock "S" sway bar so I dont know without them. My friends 64 Dart 'vert had the softest suspension, just bad. Bottomed on a speed bump at 2 MPH.

-
Back