Swap 904 to 727?

-
You also can not use the center link from the 69 K frame, that has to come from a 66 and earlier car, and needs to be from V8 car, unless your slant car already has one in place! More common to see a V8 centerlink in a 66 slant car than any other!
Thanks. Glad I don't have that much in that 69 front end. Now I need to start looking for a centerlink also. Maybe I can find who needs a

The 69 340K is a valuable item. It's not GOLD mind you. But it should be easy to find a new home for

But you might be doing yourself a favor by trading that 727 for a known to be good 904. You will save the costs of shortening your 904 shaft and finding a 727 yoke. Just be sure to get all the KD linkage with it.
I have done this swap (1975)with early 273 engine brackets and oem rubber mounts.The 340 fit right onto that slanty K. And I had no issues with the early slanty C-link. I even used the 273- 904 with the slanty tri-pot front joint. And I even used the 7.25 slanty rear.
The tranny gave up first. I was 22.

Last edited:
Not trying to be an ***, but if you're balking at a 144 dollar price tag for custom made conversion mounts that fit and fit RIGHT, then maybe you should leave the car stock. This is not a cheap hobby. Do you think you will find mounts for 50 bucks? I can tell you that you will not. Mopars are not cheap.

The Schumacher kit is nice. I've used it before myself with good results. It puts the engine in exactly the right place. You might luck up and find some used mounts and brackets. But then, where will you buy quality mount biscuits? Autozone? Any of the big box stores sell crap for mounts. Trust me, I work at one. Anchor mounts are crap. The Schumacher stuff is well worth the money and American made quality. You will get what you pay for.

Or, you can wait forever and find junk that needs rebulding.

You also can not use the center link from the 69 K frame, that has to come from a 66 and earlier car, and needs to be from V8 car, unless your slant car already has one in place! More common to see a V8 centerlink in a 66 slant car than any other!
The center link on my 66 /6 has about a 2" offset on both ends. Is that typical of a /6 or v8 center link?

Yep,If your swapping from a 6 to a V8 you need conversion mounts unless you have a v8 parts car. I would also upgrade the 9" brakes and axle too. That 7 1/4 won't last long

The problem comes when you try to go racing with them...if it's a stock 318, or even a mild one, the 7 1/4" will live until he finds a suitable replacement. I can't wait to replace the one in my '72 either, but it has 90K miles and I've not encountered a moment's trouble with it.

OP: There's an A body 8 1/4" down in H-town in the classifieds for $300 I'll see if I can find the link for you.

I know why some people want to be critical of others who are trying to be conservative on a restore. I think it would be foolish for someone not to look at all the options.
I am talking to someone in East Texas about a 8 3/4 rear end. Even though it will be quite a while before I will need it. If I can negotiate it early for $300, I think it would be better than waiting and giving $450, just because that is the asking price. That does not mean l am a cheapskate.

I don't think any of us were trying to be critical of your choices...more just offering options and personal experience, plus recommendations. Sedanman is correct though if you ever want to do spirited driving with it...either the 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 is obviously a better option...just comes down to what you want, what comes with each rear, and how much you're willing to part with. $450 for a complete bolt in A body rear ain't bad, especially if you get extras with it, like springs, shock plates, SG, what have you. But that 8 1/4 looks pretty complete to me.

There is absolutely no reason not to keep your eye out for either rear end, or any parts you might need in the future! 8 3/4" are out there, you just have to be patient!! You can find one in the $500 range, it will have a one legged but will still be enough for what you need, and you can always continue your search for a better enter section to swap in!! This hobby is meant to be enjoyed for a lifetime, deals will come to those who are patient, observant, and diligent!! I'm rooting for you, you're among friends here with our 66's!!!

Maybe I missed something but if you're running a 318, why not just rebuild the 904? A simple refresh from a local transmission shop (if you're not up to the job yourself) wouldn't be too costly, the 904 is quite a bit lighter, requires less gasoline energy to spin and will save you the hassle of worrying about driveshaft shortening, yokes, etc.

With my Magnum 5.9 swap (from a 318 originally) I opted to have the bands and clutches upgraded, added a mild shift kit and a deeper pan. It's not going to hold up to a screaming boosted engine but likely more than strong enough for a mild Magnum...certainly enough for a 318.

Just a thought...

Rusty not trying to be ___. Sure sounds close.

RRR suffers no fools and minces no words. He calls it like he sees it and those calls often come across gruff. But he's right, if you consider what Schumacher wants too expensive to do the swap, then you might not want to dive into a project like this.

Been awhile since I was on here. How are you all doing. I appreciated all of your advice last month and I am back with another question. First let me fill you in on where I am at with the 66. Still waiting on my mechanic friend to get here to see if we can start this 318 on its cradle. He has the Edelbrock 4 barrel doing rebuild on it. Found that man in Oklahoma who has an 8 1/4 rear end and he wants this 69 340 front end I have. Hopefully going this week to make the even trade with him. I may not install it for a while though. Got a lot of irons in the fire.
The question I have came about when I told my mechanic friend that I had already put the 727 on the back of the 318 and I was telling him how I had install the flex plate and attached it to the torque converter. I mention that the fly wheel had balance weights on it. He said the 318 was internal balanced and the balance weights would have to be knocked off of fly wheel. Does this sound correct to any of y'all? He did ask about the harmonic balance. Something about its shape. Don't remember exactly. The 727 is a 72 and I think it came off a small block.

this is going into a 66 abody? i'd trash that 727 in favor of a v8 904. easier fit... also use th eexisiting driveshaft as long as its a slip yoke style..

and yes the 318 is internally balanced and the converter doesn't get weights on it..

pictures would help alot here..

this is going into a 66 abody? i'd trash that 727 in favor of a v8 904. easier fit... also use th eexisiting driveshaft as long as its a slip yoke style..

and yes the 318 is internally balanced and the converter doesn't get weights on it..

pictures would help alot here..

Have to agree here, I'd sell the 727 to someone that has a 67 up car. I love the 727 trans but I never liked beating or cutting the body. You should come out OK with the 904. Change the filter, fluid, seals, and adjust the bands while it is out.

Is it that much work to flatten that joint on the tunnel so the 727 will fit. I will keep that option in mind. Will have to shorten the D shaft some day to receive the 8 1/4 rear end. Every thing I have read says the /6 904 is not strong enough for the 318. Was told by the seller of the 318 that it had a modified cam in it. Don't know if its mild, medium or full. If the 72 727 came from car with 318 in it, why does it have balance weights on it?

I have a 904 behind my 340. The 904 is lighter and gains 15 or so HP over the 727 and I didn't have to change a bunch of stuff to use it.

When I pull the 225 and 904. I might look at putting the 904 behind the 318. When I clean it up and put fresh fluid in it, it might perform better. Sluggish right now. Plus need to work on console shiftier. Very sloppy right now and loose. Will kick down linkage hook up the same way?

Every thing I have read says the /6 904 is not strong enough for the 318

oh brother.. where you reading that? a 1971 magazine? its pure bullshit. the 727 it a big power hogging boat anchor.. a 904 will hold up to gobs of power if put together proiperly. no need for exotic parts either..

the slant six 904 won't bolt to a 318 though so you would have to find a v8 904..

i beat the hell out of my 904 from 2005 till 2015 both at the track and many street miles.. when i had it freshened up just because it was going into another car.. other then a couple hard seals i could have just bolted it in if i wanted...

360/904
dartlaunch-1.jpg

-
Back