swap cam with engine in the car

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
hi, just thinking about changing the camshaft on my 65 B´cuda, but wont pull the engine.

any obstacle to look for, beside of removing the grill, radiator, fan, waterpump, damper, fuel pump, timing cover, distributor with shaft....

(will change the intake also, so no problem to change the lifters too)

any info/tip is appreciated

hi, just thinking about changing the camshaft on my 65 B´cuda, but wont pull the engine.

any obstacle to look for, beside of removing the grill, radiator, fan, waterpump, damper, fuel pump, timing cover, distributor with shaft....

Nope looks like ya have it pretty well covered...

Start with the cam and assemble the car around it...

Put a long bolt in the front of the cam before you get ready to pull the cam out. It will give you leverage to keep the cam straight as you start to pull it out. You want to avoid letting the sharp edges of the cam lobes scrape the cam bearings.

Keep the old cam and lifters in exact order when you remove them juuuust in case the new cam has a problem and you need to put the original one back in. And keep the pushrods in order too.

Put in a new timing chain. Consider one with settable cam timing. Timing the cam would be a good idea, as well as setting cam timing per the cam selected and the expected use of the car. (Not that it won't run if you don't do this; it's just that it can help driveability and performance.)

It's a pretty easy task, I changed mine with the engine still in the car.

Make sure you drop the distributor in correctly so it will fire immediately!!

I use a two piece cover to make the job easier. With the two piece cover you don't have to drop the pan and there aren't any gaskets to scrape.

Attachments

• AR374b (Large).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 193
forgot to mention that it will be a used cam i had in an other engine before, so i have the "matching and sorted" lifters on hand.

it´s just the first time i pull a cam with the engine still in the car and not on a stand

Always get a book that describes in detail how to install something you don't have a lot of experience doing. There are many details doing this job. I have done it too. Not hard to get in there when you remove all the "stuff" in the front.

Loosening the motor mounts and raising the motor a couple inches may help. Doing that in my 72 Duster and 68 Dart made things a lot easier.

forgot to mention that it will be a used cam i had in an other engine before, so i have the "matching and sorted" lifters on hand.

it´s just the first time i pull a cam with the engine still in the car and not on a stand

After you remove the timing chain, take the cam gear and put it back on the cam and use it to help control the cam to get it through the bearings when you take out the cam.... It helps give more control when you use the large gear to help "steer" it through the cam journals...

I use a two piece cover to make the job easier. With the two piece cover you don't have to drop the pan and there aren't any gaskets to scrape.
Oooooooo -- i want one! Where did you get ! I'm scared to ask $$$$!

A one of or custom made has got to be pricey.

Yeah, I think the first one cost me about $3000 since the machine shop had to build some custom fixtures and tooling. But once they got the bugs worked out the price came down a bunch. Last time I updated the design I added some clearance so a gear drive will fit.

Attachments

• AR374i.jpg (Large).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 137
  • AR374h (Large).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 136
-
Back